How Many Here Have Been Shunned?

by Reborn2002 65 Replies latest jw friends

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I'm not TECHNICALLY da'd or df'd, but my JW relatives (including mom/sister) pretty much shun me. I've built my own life over the last 15 years which really doesn't include much contact at all with them, so it's not a major loss. However, since the birth of my first child (and second, due in 3 weeks), both mom/sis have tried some awkward, and I mean, AWKWARD, communications. I suspect with the article quoted in the first post, they'll probably try to cut off communication altogether.

The problem is, they want to contact me (at least for the children) I believe in their heart, but the cult is telling them how they should think and feel. They therefore try to throw out "hints" or awkward manipulative tactics to get me to change, or to show some interest in coming back into the fold, but I show none. Further, I'll not tolerate their silly efforts to visit the children ON THEIR TERMS ONLY. They've made it all but clear that they think my children, growing up without "Jehovah" are pretty much doomed, while my sister's brainwashed Dub children who are floating along til Armageddon, will live in a beautiful paradise....

No thanks. Yes, it hurts. I love my mother and my sister. But those people aren't my mother and my sister. They are acting like robots. You cannot have a meaningful relationship with a robot. Period.

• witchywoman
    witchywoman

Today at about 3:00 my daughter and I talked over the phone. She let me know that she could no longer try and continue to be close to me. Our relationship was begining to mend after 12 long years. The gap that was there is once again a large canyon. She has hurt me deeply. I know the pain will subside, but for now it is not easy.

As I stated in another thread, I would like to take this moment in time to thank you Watchtower Bible and Tract Society for all of your loving provisions from Jehovah. One last note, be careful for what you sow, you shall also reap. My prayer at this time is that the pain you are sowing will come back to you 100 fold.

witchywoman

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

First..Joel Bear..You aren't from Missouri are you?

And second..I was not allowed to attend my JW In laws anniversary party.I might have stumbled someone!.But I am allowed to go to their farm every weekend and do "Chores" They even eat with me and go shopping with me! Now I have been invted to go visit her grandson and grandaughter that are disfellowshipped with them!.

I guess you call that selective shunning?

ps..I have been dissasociated for a least 25 years!

Have openly told my JW Mother in law that I am NOT a believer!

Maybe I need to say it louder....

Can't wait untill they have the K.M. on shunning read at their Ministry school. We shall see what happens then!

8/19 and 8/26.....Golden Girl

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear

I am not disfellowshipped nor disassociated. However, I am shunned by friends and family. I believe after my mother passes (she is terminal and I help care for her) that I will be disfellowshipped then.

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

I will never forget a visit I got from 2 elders to counsel me regarding my association with my brother.

He was only 19, had married and had a baby and responsibility wasn't sitting well on his shoulders. So he went off the rails and was disfellowshipped. We had always been close having been through a lot so naturally he turned to me. And naturally I didn't turn him away. He stayed at my flat in a terrible depression which culminated in him taking an overdose. The loving elders couldn't get to my door quick enough when they heard he was sleeping at my place.

So I'm explaining that my brother is very low and could take his life and I'm choking back the tears...

What kindly advice did the elders give? Exact words were 'you have to tell him he cannot step over your doorstep.'

HE CANNOT STEP OVER MY DOORSTEP.

So what did I do? I'd like to say I told them where to stuff their counsel but I didn't. Instead I waited for my brother to turn up and we ended up having a massive row and I told him to go and not to step over my doorstep again.. I really believed it was Jehovah's will.

I'll never forgive myself and deep down ,although he says it's ok,15 years on my brother won't forgive me either. I kicked him when he was down...but hey I did it for Jehovah.

Shunning is a terrible policy.

Of course I'm on the receiving end now with a lot of family I don't see anymore and who scuttle past me like they've a rocket up it!! My mum used to adhere strictly to the WT stance and I never saw her for a long time but recently we have got very close so I'm concerned this KM thing is going to force her into a corner again. The WT has caused enough damage in our family.

My heart goes out to everyone who hurts because they are shunned and hurts because they live with the guilt of being a shunner.

Free

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

I have never been shunned because I was never baptized......I can understand why the "shunned" are hurt by not being able to see the children or grandchildren in their families.

as for adults that shun a family member or friend because they're told to, and not feel in their heart that something is wrong with that, I would never miss the company of such a spineless person.

some people can do no more with their lives than follow..............

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

Many of my friends were disfellowshiped and we lost touch over the years.I got tired of looking up people's nostrials so I dissasociated and went into hiding for long time.
    mevirginia
    me

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

OH! OH! OH-OH!! Mr. Kotter!!!

I have. I am still.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I suppose we can know add Bill Bowen to this list as well.

Disfellowshipped for speaking out concerning crimes committed against children, and subsequently shunned and avoided by loyal Jehovah's Witnesses for doing so.

Nevermind that his cause is to aid children who have been sexually abused and victimized. Nevermind that there can be no cause more worthy. Nevermind that even in their fragile little minds the organization they cling to is composed of imperfect men capable of sin, and Bowen has only sought to let the truth be known.

He is disfellowshipped, he is to be avoided.

It does not matter what you are disfellowshipped for. They conveniently lump all into the same category. Whether it be murder, rape, smoking a cigarette, or questioning Watchtower doctrine.. if you are disfellowshipped, you are to be SHUNNED, and treated as though you do not exist.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Reborn,

I have not been shunned yet. Just left and have not looked back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit