WHY ARE YOU HERE?

by jst2laws 38 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

I think the 3 reasons quoted sum it up well. I think also there are far more lurkers than posters...so the board does a good job. When I started posting there was only 300 posters!

ISP

• Salud
    Salud

Js2L,

Right. When we went to England we first visited Cambridge University. Two students taking a survey asked what brought us from America to England. They wrote in their report with amuzed faces as a explained we came for a BBQ with a good friend we hadn't yet met.

How funny!! We laughed esp. with a good friend we hadn't yet met part. Count us in for next year!

Hang in there!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

For all the same reasons as you Just2, but also someone mentioned addiction? I am seriously spending too long on this site - some people would say to the point of "sad". The rest of my time is 'normal', motor biking, working and lots of drinking generally. Lots of good friends who I met at college after leaving the org. Occasional camping trips and visits to the beach. The rest of the time: JWD.

• ISP
    ISP

Thats a good balance there, Ballistic!

ISP

• JWrobot
    JWrobot

j2l

Sorry you lost your best friend and his family.As we all know he was your "CONDITIONAL" best friend. A cult is a cult.

I come here for info. Info that Pres.Bush has ordered the evacuation of all personal from 124 Columbia Hts.Brooklyn,NY and will turn it into a practice bombing area for US Navy after they leave Puerto Rico.

I will shortly post another scandal Wt's been involved with (in a week or so in scandal forum). I believe you were at bethel not long ago,could you tell me if you saw any of the GB members walking around with sackcloth & ashes on their heads ( in light of always quoting from the OT ) seeking God's forgiveness in the past 2 years? thankx for any info

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Hi Jst,

Just wanted to say it was great meeting you and Joy. I really enjoyed our conversation Wednesday afternoon. It gave me a couple of new angles on things. Glad you could travel all the way from Florida to meet us.

I agree with all of your reasons for coming here: To Learn, To Receive Support, To Give Support. Yup, that pretty well covers it.

It can be pretty horrible to learn you've spent a large chunk of your life working for, supporting and living for an organization that spun a pretty and desireable fantasy for us that turned out to be a lie. It was a shock losing the only *life concept* I have ever known. Replacing it has been a bit of a slow, but steady process. The healing has been accelerated since making contact with other former members. You have to find a new *truth* or life concept for yourself. You have to do it. After the JW experience, you can't relegate that responsibility to another man or organization.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

One day I was searching the net for a place to go where there was communication with folks who have experienced what I have--that is having been in the organization of JW's, and then trying to cope in the real world, outside. It has been a life altering journey for me and a very long process, to which there was still no real finality in my mind and heart. To know I'm not alone in how I think and feel gives me great comfort.

Certainly, I really didn't expect to find this place on my first try. But once I began to read all the many posts, I knew that I was "home". The experiences are so familiar and there is an understanding among everyone, a common denominator that connects us in a way that is necessary to get what we need, and give back at the same time.

Because our experience within the organization is so unique, we are "different". We are scarred and most of us are damaged. It takes a long time to work through all of this, so any help we can give to another might be no less than a lifeline. In return, we get to express ourselves and post our experiences, and we can learn from each other. We can grow as human beings.

That's why I'm here.

Sentinel

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Great subject jst2 !

First of all I'm here because I can! Freedom is so wonderful and I knew this was the place for me the first time I stumbled upon it. I found tthis site doing a web search while reading a book on The Web, came right here and was transfixed. Kept lurking at first but as I read post I begin to feel as if I knew the people here, then I wanted to get to know them. I'm still trying to fit people with places, and faces.

Someday I'll "come-out" but in the meantime I know I will #1 Keep Learning, #2 Receive Support and more importantly I hope I can do #3 Give Support more fully!

Many thanks to all the posters here!

bc of the "fluffy-class"posters

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hey MegaDude,

This summer was the best meeting so many new friends. And I learned a lot too from so many.

The best thing I learned was mentioned earlier on this thread, that we will be OK. Loosing the fantasy

is depressing but not the end. I admit I have problems with replacing that certainty I used to have,

but along with the certainty was control and harsh treatment. Totally unChristian. Glad to be free.

So now we are building new relationships with people who share our desire for developing a

personal "life concept". It is so good to find people with the problem in common. You are a good guy Jerry.

Hope we keep in touch.

Jst2laws

Edited by - jst2laws on 11 August 2002 21:49:50

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit