The Bible is NOT Error-Free

by FusionTheism 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane
    No, what's sad and pathetic is the fact that you think throwing insults will make up for posts lacking in substance.
    You like to ride the high wave using insults. Little, very little.

No one has insulted you. Pretending to be a victim to cover up your derp is sad and pathetic.

• azor
    azor

FT - Truth trumps all. Love and kindness are the works of our social empathy which is truth and demonstrable. From what I have been studying since I left the jw cult I've found the study and application of ethics to be a better guide to morals than the bible by far. I agree with you that there are some good things in the bible.

You appear to be holding on to the notion that belief in god is necessary for morality. That was an area I struggled with initially as well. So I took my research in that direction. Have you, listened to the YouTube channel Evid3nc3, dawkins god delusion or anything about morality without God?

If you haven't, ask yourself why not? Could it be that you are worried that once you do, you know subconsciously what the outcome will be. If so how is that any different from jw's refusing to research their doubts about watchtower. Much is at stake. Once I left I refused to be anyone's slave again. Truth trumps all. I believe in research, research, research, and will never just take someone else's word for it again.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Viviane: No one has insulted you. Pretending to be a victim to cover up your derp is sad and pathetic.

Viviane, I'm not here to oppose you or fight with you. When you post something cutting I wonder why you respond as you do? Somewhere you lost yourself. Is it anger? At whom? The Watchtower? At religion? At ignorance?

Do you believe yourself the champion of those who suffer from all of the above?

I expect you will respond with a cutting post or a quip. That's fine. But I wonder who you are really?

I wish you all the best, truthfully.

Sincerely,

Frank

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The Bible is not error free. No kidding.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Wondering is the beginning of science,learning and throwing off ignorance and superstition. I wish you best in your quest.
  • Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Simon, you like many others don't know what inspired means. It does not mean God breathed. Inspired means where did the idea come from. What inspired that song means what event or person brought out the idea for that song. Or what inspired that movie.

When Paul wrote that All scripture is inspired, he meant that the preChristian writings got their ideas from events that had to do with God and his people of the past, along with the inspired prophets.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I like this. First, claim "People don't know what a word means", like this...

Simon, you like many others don't know what inspired means

Then, proceed to tell us what someone, who you've never met, talked to, nor who wrote down what he meant, actually meant, like this...

When Paul wrote that All scripture is inspired, he meant that the preChristian writings got their ideas from events that had to do with God and his people of the past, along with the inspired prophets.

Paul never said that's what he meant and there is no way for you to have any knowledge indicating what you wrote. It seems as if you made that up to fit a narrative. Perhaps you need to re-read your post and apply it to yourself.

• Heaven
    Heaven

You don't have to read far in the Bible to find factual errors. I am not sure the ancients really cared.The books of the Bible were written over a thousand year period. Our knowledge has certainly changed and grown during this time.

The issue I have is that modern day religious authorities still trot the Bible out as inerrant. They lose credibility and trust when they do this.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

FusionTheism: I view the Bible as containing the Gospel Message of salvation, and the teachings of Jesus, which are infallible,

Why do you think the gospel accounts are infallible?

These accounts were written some 30 + years after the events they purport to recall. Can you recall accurately the content of talks you heard 30 years ago? They are also filtered not just through the memory of the authors, but through their subsequent experiences in teaching. And, it is believed that some of the authors were not eye-witnesses of the events they describe.

The content of most of Jesus' teachings merely mirrored Jewish beliefs of that time (compare the gospels to the documents that make up the Dead Sea Scrolls). And then there is the problem of his expectations, clearly expecting the promised kingdom to come in his time. (Luke 21: 33)

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I agree with the title of this post. And simon. The bible is trash. The end

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit