The Bible is NOT Error-Free

by FusionTheism 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Cappytan - I get your point but would suggest your chosen examples need a little tweaking.

Re unicorns, there is nothing that says the fossil record must have a record of them for them to have existed. Given the relative special set of circumstances that result in the fossilisation of an animal, there must be countless species that either did not have a single example fossilised or an example has not yet been found.

I would say that there is nothing in the fossil record that matches either a unicorn or even a species with a developmental forehead horn. Also, unicorns are mentioned along with all sorts of other mythical creatures like dragons, Minotaurs, half horse/half men, mermaids etc - none of which have any type of presences in the fossil record. Therefore, there is zero physical and scientific evidence that unicorns have ever existed and circumstantial evidence they are a creature of myth and legend. Therefore I take the view that there is an overwhelming probability they never existed but am not so closed minded that if physical or other scientific evidence did come to light proving the existence of unicorns then I would be happy to change my mind.

If someone wants to believe in unicorns and even spend their life in some religion based around supposed unicorn pronouncements then that's fine but don't get all offended when asked to explain why there is any merit to their unicorn religion given the overwhelming argument that unicorns were never real. If someone wants me to join their unicorn religion then please don't be miffed when asked to explain in detail the evidence they have for the existence of unicorns and how that superceeds the overwhelming lack of physical or other scientific evidence in the public domain so far.

Regarding your point on no evidence of a global flood 4400 years ago, it is a modus tollens argument that the global flood of the Bible never happened as described but it in itself does not prove the non-existence of a God. What it does do is suggest that the Bible record of such an event is incorrect. When taken along with all the other examples of divine intervention that there is zero physical or other scientific (e.g. geological, archaeological, anthropological) evidence for or where the scientific evidence points to a different conclusion (e.g. 607) then it builds a body of evidence that the Bible is full of errors and therefore any claim of divine inspiration is seriously weakened. It also becomes far harder to accept the even wilder claims of a God directed war on wicked humans, people going off to heaven, an earthly paradise, living forever etc., so on and so on. From this you can conclude that God does not exist.

I think people like Dawkins have covered this subject over and over again. His quote along the lines of being a-theist in the same way same he is a-unicornist or a-fairyist sums it up very well.

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty routinely destroy's your arguments and you make it plain that you don't like it.

No he does not

Yes he does. I mean yes she does. I mean Viv, eh I mean I.... no Cofty does... I do

Damn I have forgotten who I am.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Re sexism and equality in the Bible.

Firstly the text is riddled with statements that at best reflect a patriarchal society where the there certainly were no equal rights for women as compared to men. At worst, it represents a truly abhorrent lack of humanity for women.

You can argue that there are texts in the Bible that teach a certain level of respect and honour for women but there are also texts about not abusing your slave. A well treated slave is still a slave. It still basically it boils down to women knowing their place.

You see the same in the WTS - of course Witness men are taught to respect and honour women but it's still relative. A mother becomes lesser than her pre-pubescent son just because he is a baptised male. Women face condescending and patronising statements about their value as preachers yet a male will always lead the activity, they have no opportunity to hold positions of responsibility and have to know their place just as much as any woman back in Bible times. Equal in the eyes of God but not allowed to organise a cleaning team, read a WT on the platform, do a talk without an assistant let alone run a Bethel dept or even join the hallowed ranks of the GB.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Yes he does. I mean yes she does. I mean Viv, eh I mean I.... no Cofty does... I do
    Damn I have forgotten who I am.

Just look down. Are we wearing sensible loafers or or wickedly delicious heels? Easiest way to tell who we are at the moment, dear.

• R. Jerome Harris
    R. Jerome Harris

Of course the Bible is riddled with error. It is NOT the Word of God!

Jesus said that he is "The Truth."

So why would anyone presume that a book, organization or any person (other than Christ) is without error.

Many use the line, "Well, how else can I learn about Christ if it were not for the Bible?" My response to you is, "How did the people in the past learn about Christ as there was no printed Bible (Genesis to Revelation) for some 1400 years after Christ ascended?" (The Gutenburg Bible was printed in 1450)

Could it be that those early disciples relied on prayer? Could it be that they listened to what Christ taught about "asking the Father and receiving? Could it be that they relied on the sending of the promised "Comforter" or "Helper" (Holy Spirit) through Christ from the Father to provide them with what they needed, including the truthful teaching about God and Christ? Could it be that they were more faithful and spiritual than people today who rely on the things that they can see such as a book, men, and their organizations? Could it be that they understood what Christ taught about God being a Spirit and our worship MUST be with spirit and truth. That is, reliance upon that which we cannot see. (No one can see God and no one can see Christ. So faith is required).

Yet, it is a book and the organizations of men that millions have placed their confidence in. They have no faith in God and Christ. They act as if God and Christ are dead and unable to send us Holy Spirit which enables us to "know" things.

Did God send the 120 disciples in the "upper room" on the Day of Pentecost a book? Or did he send them Holy Spirit that infused them with the incredible ability to speak in languages they never learned? Why would God change that!

When Christ ascended, he said he would ask the Father to send us a helper (the holy spirit). Christ did not say he would ask the Father to send a book! PEOPLE !!! Listen to this !!!

You have been subtly (as it is the practice of the Devil) been duped into being reliant on a book of about 1600 pages and the religious organizations of men! You have been made to walk by "sight" and not by "faith."

You have been indoctrinated to view a book as The Word of God and a religious organization as "The Truth." Only Christ Jesus can be those things!

Christ caution, "Keep on the watch ..."

Unfortunately, the WT and many other religious organizations have lulled the masses to sleep.

The false 1914 teaching (the primary reason I disassociated myself) is one where the WT announced that Jesus returned and took kingdom power. Thus, why the need to "keep on the watch?"

Yet, Jesus said at Matthew 24:42 that "YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming."

The Watch Tower organization says, "Wrong, we Do know when he is coming, in 1914." Either Jesus is lying or the Watch Tower is.

The knowing of Jesus' coming is only known to the Father in heaven. How can an organization of men know what Jesus Christ and the angels do not? Answer: Because it is an organization that has made itself God.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Follow Christ ALONE and no religious organization of any kind. Teach others to join Christ as his disciple. Do not lead them into religious organizations. When some of you wake up can get wise, hopefully you will leave as well and sit before the Master and let him teach you.

Never become disgruntled at those within religious organizations. View them as Jesus did: As sheep without a Shepherd. Sheep are innocent. And so are each and every JW, Mormon, Catholic, Lutheran, Seventh Day Adventist, etc. The people within them are innocent. It is that which holds them captives that are guilty.

I would never blame a small child if he called me by the N-Word. Never! It is the one - the parent - I blame.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Why would God make sure that the originals were 100% inerrant, but then not preserve the originals, and allow all future copies to contain errors?

I only read the opening post as the statement above is really all you need. So people feel that God only wanted the first person who "recorded" the words to get the message right and maybe a few others that read those particular originals (but not the other originals that were already poorly copied). Or else God wanted errors to creep in so that men were encouraged to dig deep and question every last thing in the Bible until they realized that this flood didn't happen and genetics proves that Adam and Eve didn't exist and archaeology proves errors in many of the writings and eventually we realize that God made us smarter by delivering fables/myths.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket
    Cofty,how are the heels?
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    There sure are some differing views on this thread. Most entertaining.
  • cofty
    cofty

Heels are looking a lot like work boots. I think I must be Cofty today.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

But, fallacy aside, technically, the idea that "You can't prove a negative" is false.Cappy

More bologna again from you. No fallacy. You cut and and paste after learning something new from me. Learn to think correctly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit