The Bible is NOT Error-Free

by FusionTheism 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

For many Christians, the Bible is viewed as the 100% error-free, perfect book straight from God, where every single word was carefully chosen by God for a reason. But, usually, when you have a discussion on the topic, these Christians will end up saying that only the original copies written directly from the hands of the prophets and Apostles were error-free, and all manuscript copies since then are subject to copyist mistakes and other errors.

Since zero original copies are in existence, how do we know the originals were error-free? Why should we think the originals should be error-free to begin with? It’s important to remember that today, all we have are copies of copies of copies of copies of copies, and then, on top of that are translations and re-translations.

Why would God make sure that the originals were 100% inerrant, but then not preserve the originals, and allow all future copies to contain errors?

In the stories within the Bible, we constantly see the perfect God using imperfect, mistake-prone people to do His will. The New Testament shows that the Apostle Peter, even though He was specially chosen by Jesus and given the Keys of the Kingdom, he still messed up big time and had to be corrected by the Apostle Paul. (Galatians 2:11-14) Also, Paul got into a heated argument with Barnabas. (Acts 15:37-39)

My point is, these people God was using to do His will were imperfect just like we are. Why should we assume that, all of a sudden, when they picked up a pen and paper, they became inerrant and infallible?

I view the Bible as containing the Gospel Message of salvation, and the teachings of Jesus, which are infallible, but the rest of the Bible can (and does!) contain many copyist errors, and perhaps, historical or scientific mistakes.

I think we do a great disservice to our own minds and faith, and also to the inquisitive & skeptical outsider, when we rest our entire belief system on whether or not the Bible can have one tiny mistake and still contain the Word of God.

If Peter or King David can make a blunder and still be used by God, then why couldn’t a Bible-writer make a mistake while writing Scripture, and God still use that imperfect Scripture to express His Word?

And if Jesus could use myths and fictional stories and imaginary characters in His Parables to teach moral lessons, then why can't other parts of the Bible do the same?

• Simon
    Simon

Isn't the logical explanation simply that it isn't inspired?

You jump through hoops trying to explain how the book that claims to be 100% inspired isn't really 100% inspired but it still inspired.

Maybe it just isn't inspired. Duh.

I view the bible as a pice of shit trash fiction invented as a method to subjugate others.

"Oh look, according to the word of god that he dictated to me, his prophet, you have to do everything that the prophet tells you and the prophets is WAY more important than all of you", said the prophet. "oh, and women are dirty and should be beaten", said the prophet that could never get a girlfriend.

If Peter or King David can make a blunder and ... And if Jesus could use myths and fictional stories and imaginary characters ...

I love the assumption that it's all real. Why can't they by myths and fictional stories and imaginary characters too?

Like when Harry Potter opens an imaginary diary. You know he is still imaginary as well don't you?

• blondie
    blondie
    Well, if jws believe that holy spirit is behind the bible in every way, they trust it to be all true as long as it is a WTS translation.
  • azor
    azor

FT - Ask yourself if you would be defending the Vedas, the Quran, or Moroni if you were born into one of these as you were into Christianity.

I for one know that I would have. It is all I have ever known. Be honest with yourself and then analyze your current belief system. Whether you are biased in your conclusions or if you let the evidence guide you. It is extremely difficult to let go. Painful even.

What do you value most? I value truth above all. My ego still gets in the way more often than I like. But I keep questioning, whether it's uncomfortable or not.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Simon,

It could all be myth and fiction. I don't deny that as a possibility. Even if it is, it would make more sense to use the good parts / good morality found in the Bible to reason with those who are still die-hard believers, rather than alienate them completely by telling them it's all shit.

Azor,

I actually have come to value kindness, hope, and love equally as much as truth. If there is no God and there is no afterlife, with no judgment on whether I believed in facts or falsehoods, shouldn't kindness and happiness take priority over truth?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

The Bible is a collection of 66 books which were deemed worthy of being included in an accepted rule, a canon.

The so called Old Testament was for the most part written by Jews who worshiped the God of Abraham. The Pentateuch is religious history and law as believed by the Jews. The book of Judges is a compilation of old Jewish hero stories. Job is a very ancient story of why God allows suffering which was included in the OT.

The Psalms are religious songs. The prophets are religious prophetic literature. The historical books are just that, history of the Jewish kings.

The NT is a collection of writings from the first century. The Synaptic Gospels are accounts of Jesus' sayings and acts gathered from eyewitnesses and faithful disciples and should not be expected to perfectly coincide chronologically or in every detail. The Gospel of John is unique and should be considered the last Gospel of the Christian age being more representative of our time than the time it was written in. Acts is Luke's received historical account which is not necessarily accurate in every detail.

The NT Letters are just that letters. There is no precedent in the OT for letters to be considered something other than just letters. Paul's letters are for his time and according to what he thought was good nothing more. The other letters are the same. Revelation should be classed with the OT prophetic literature.

The Bible is literature, religious literature misused by those seeking religious authority. The Apostles who knew Jesus are long dead. Men who today, or yesterday, claim to take their place are liars and hooligans.

More damage has been done to God's name by hypocritical religious leaders than by atheists! In this respect the first century still lives.

Frank, an old man who lives near DBAH.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    According to the best cholars the variations in the text that are appearing in manuscripts, payri or pergament or later codices have many reasons and are a wonderful tool to study the history of "new testament" /greek scriptures history. The variations can be idfentified and are absolutely not destorying the text undertanding.
    Why are you citing words of jesus if you are not sure about errors at all? Which variations are basis of the todays bible text has been studied by hundreds of bible scholars in the history, the todays translations are reliable enough to understand the text.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My point is, these people God was using to do His will were imperfect just like we are. Why should we assume that, all of a sudden, when they picked up a pen and paper, they became inerrant and infallible?

God could have used "ANY" means he wanted,to communicate his words to man..

So.....He chose people who didn`t have a "Hope in Hell of Getting It Right?..

????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

Your asking us to Believe In an Unintelligent Supreme Being?!...

Where Can I Find Some Really Stupid People.................Use The Ones You Created!!

..............TO WRITE A BOOK FOR ME?!!........................................DUH!!!..........LOL!!..

.............Image result for angry god.....................Image result for Spongebob

• Viviane
    Viviane
    My point is, these people God was using to do His will were imperfect just like we are.
    I view the Bible as containing the Gospel Message of salvation, and the teachings of Jesus, which are infallible, but the rest of the Bible can (and does!) contain many copyist errors, and perhaps, historical or scientific mistakes.

So... how do you know the salvation message is correct? What makes you think that, since the "fall of man" is allegorical (as you believe evolution is real), Jesus needed to die? That God will kill millions of people for not believing in a book riddled with errors? That gospels suddenly became the infallible work of fallible men, but the rest is not? Why do you pretend the many errors and contradictions in the gospels don't exist?

Sorry, the logic you are using is just as twisted and hacked as those that claim the infallibility of the Bible and makes just as little sense. Simon nailed it with his post.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Even if it is, it would make more sense to use the good parts / good morality found in the Bible to reason with those who are still die-hard believers, rather than alienate them completely by telling them it's all shit.

What parts are those? The part where Jesus killed a tree for behaving like a tree? The part where he called people horrible names and predicted their death? The part where he said he was there to cause families to fight? The part where he was killed for sedition?

Which morality, exactly, are you claiming is unique to the Bible that we should use?

I actually have come to value kindness, hope, and love equally as much as truth. If there is no God and there is no afterlife, with no judgment on whether I believed in facts or falsehoods, shouldn't kindness and happiness take priority over truth?

Here's an example. A child is at risk for a disease. The only vaccination or preventative measure is via injection. The child is deathly afraid of needles. Should the parents, instead of recognizing the truth that the child could get ill and die, be kind in the moment to make the child happy and refuse the preventative measure?

If you don't like that example, please come up with one where kindness and happiness are more important than truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit