Who Here Believes in God?

by The_Bad_Seed 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Sabine
    Sabine

Intellectually, I say probably not. But, if I were in a foxhole I just might start praying like crazy!!

BTW, I notice lately I feel like the kid in Annie Hall that told the shrink "the universe is expanding". What's the use??

• startingover
    startingover

If there is a God, I'll believe in him (heavy emphasis on the if)

In the early 70's as a teenager I remember reading something on a favorite album of mine at the time - Jethro Tull's Aqualung. It was written like scripture and in Old English lettering and I suppose it was composed by Ian Anderson, it was not a song, just an addition to the album. I remember thinking I had to hide it for fear my parents would see it. I read it now with a different mindset. (just a funny sidenote-for a long time I thought it said Alan created God because that's what it looked like in Old English lettering-and of course I had no concept of man creating God at the time). At the time I laughed when I read the last line and I still do. Never was able to figure out the Aqualung thing, other than I know it's a term used to describe the gurgling noise made when one is dying. Any of you help me with it? Hope this doesn't detract from the topic too much.

In the beginning Man created God;
    and in the image of Man
    created he him.

2 And Man gave unto God a multitude of
    names,that he might be Lord of all
    the earth when it was suited to Man

3 And on the seven millionth
    day Man rested and did lean
    heavily on his God and saw that
    it was good.

4 And Man formed Aqualung of
    the dust of the ground, and a
    host of others likened unto his kind.

5 And these lesser men were cast into the
    void; And some were burned, and some were
    put apart from their kind.

6 And Man became the God that he had
    created and with his miracles did
    rule over all the earth.

7 But as all these things
    came to pass, the Spirit that did
    cause man to create his God
    lived on within all men: even
    within Aqualung.

8 And man saw it not.

9 But for Christ's sake he'd
    better start looking.

• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

I dont believe in God. And if I were God I would be an atheist; because who created me? ;-) not that simple, but I dont have the time to explain it in great detail.

Rado Vleugel http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/

• SYN
    SYN

In a contemplative mood tonight...

God is a mother holding her newborn child.

God is the dark ocean at night alive with bioluminescent plankton all around you that changes colour when you move in it.

God is a smile from a complete stranger in a crowd.

God is the tea your grandmother made for you when you hurt your knee as a child.

God is in the Mandelbrot and Julia sets.

God is the warm sand between your toes when you run across the open grasslands of Africa.

God is lonely sperm whale singing into a 3 dimensional expanse of ocean greater in size than any open space a human could comprehend fully.

God is a sound called "Bloop" that seismologists sometimes hear coming from the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, a place more alien to us than the far side of the Moon.

God is a tiny, slowly dying pile of Plutonium wrapped up in steel manufactured in the 1960s, flying outside the heliosphere of our Sun faster than a bullet, into the darkest night of all.

God is those funny people of the early Twenty First Century who thought that things like electrons and protons actually existed!

All in all, God is pretty difficult to nail down!

• JT
    JT

bad seed

quick question- what lead you to the position that you have esp if you were a former jw

thanks

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

I believe in dad................ :( Be nice to him because he's really been getting hit pretty hard because of all the idiots out there who thing they have a direct link to him.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Ummmmm Which god?

There are so many. Yahweh was just one. Anyone can be a god, as long as there is someone who is gonna bow down and worship. And, even "things" can be gods.

IMHO, I am happy just believing that the god we all learned about in JW's simply does not exist in the way they conceive "him" to be. I think the "religious" concept of God throughout the world is incorrect.

Our creators in the universe probably are very curious about how we humans have managed to conjure up all these different gods over the history of mankind, and battled against one another trying to see who is the best. I'm sure the reality is nothing at all like mankind makes it appear. We have been dupped. I rarely look to the the bible for any concrete solutions. It was written by man, to control man, and so it has to a large extent. Just a history book, filled with the stories of man, the dreams of man--and in many cases, not even that accurate.

I believe that we aren't alone and we haven't been abandoned. I'm comfortable with that. My belief is that we were created by beings we cannot even conceive of, and implanted with "souls" that belong to them; and that the universe is full of various forms of creations on different levels. Hopefully one day very soon, the mystery will be solved.

Karen

• Mulan
    Mulan

I like Sabine's answer: "intellectually, probably not."

But, on some level.........emotional maybe, I say "yes" today. Tomorrow I may feel differently.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Yep, I still believe there's a God. Now if the question is if I understand him, well . . . ..

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i struggle with this one a lot. i dont believe in a "god" like the cathiloics and jw's taught me...

but i think there's some divine omnipresent incredibly beautiful spirit entity but i don't think it makes little rules and gets mad at us if we violate them. i think of "god" as starstuff almost, but filled with light and overpowering love and who can even explain such a thing... anyway that's where i'm at...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit