Why do so many people believe that jesus is god?

by Legendary U.2.K. 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Cutting to the chase, without flinging texts around (which we all do so well ), what are you stating, Plum?

That Jesus has been given jurisdiction over the physical creation, and as such is worthy of worship from us in equal measure to the Father?

Not in "egual measure". No. BUT I don't believe that any of these particular passages are relevant to the human race on a "FOR ALL ETERNITY" time clock.

The same as when asking the FATHER for forgiveness without acknowledging the sacrifice of his SON is in vein. An insult. (From the time of his sacrifice)

There are also degrees of worship. God the Father worships no one. Jesus Christ does worship his Father.

He does not worship himself.

Just the "FACT", and I can say that in this context, that God the "FATHER has "CHRIST THE SON" on a time clock per sa', is relevant to us.

There is no such thing as time beginning or running out where God the Father is concerned but there are "Time frames" given to "Christ the Son"

Edited by - plmkrzy on 9 August 2002 23:37:19

• NewWay
    NewWay

LittleToe:

I read your response to my most recent post. Regarding the quote in Proverbs, it is taken from chapter 9, not chapter 8, which is often used figuratively of Jesus Christ. Since both proverbs (taken in context) were initially written as a warning against foolish behaviour, and encouragement to use wisdom in counteracting such foolishness, it is obvious that the writer was personifying a virtue, not referencing a person.

When I look at the whole (OT as well as NT) of the Bible in reference to God's spirit and the way in which it is referenced in the majority of cases, there is little doubt in my mind that the "Holy Spirit" is synonymous with the power of God in action. In case one might think that "Holy Spirit" and "God's spirit" are two different things, Acts 2:4 and Acts 2:18 use both expression respectively. In both cases, in keeping with other scriptures this "Spirit" is said to be "poured out" (Greek = 'ekcheo') and the recipients were "filled" (Greek = 'eplesthesan') with 'it' (Greek 'pneuma' ['spirit'] is in the neuter gender).

I have already explained the grammatical reasons why the 'helper'/'paraclete' has been translated 'he' - i.e. the Greek word 'parakletos' has the masculine 'gender', but is a general word that can be applied to a 'she' or an 'it' (unlike other Greek words which actually have more than one gender, such as 'brother' and 'sister'). I also explained the reason why the translator of the church father's text used 'he' instead of the grammatically correct 'it' (i.e. interpretation) with reference to the "Holy Spirit".

The subject of Christ's true nature and that of the "Holy Spirit" is a subject that I have spent a lot of time considering, and based on what the scriptures say as a whole about both in context, I have come to the conclusion that the trinity doctrine is truly the product of imperfect men. In saying this I hope you will not take offense, but I'm being honest here. It is also what I think plmkrzy said in another thread that at times we have to go on a 'gut' feeling of what seems right. I do not see Jesus Christ as on the same level as angels, for he was the "firstborn of all creation" and is unique in the sense that he was the "only begotten Son", the only person who was directly produced from God.

I think all we can do is present our reasons why we believe the way we do and hope that fair-minded people, hopefully devoid of bias, will consider these reasons and come to their own logical conclusions. As you can appreciate, I am extremely wary of organised religion with heirarchical power. It is no secret that the trinity doctrine came from one of the largest of such religious structures, and in my opinion had already deviated a long time before from the simple Christian teachings of the first century. That is why I will not be coerced into accepting something that does not ring true to my understanding of the scriptures.

Therefore, I think it has reached the point in this thread where I must leave it to others to discuss this subject, for I am sure that there are still enough people of both views to contribute more to this thread. I thank you and others for considering my views, and I have read with interest what others have written.

Kind regards.

(Edited to include a missing word and correct 'read' to 'written')

Edited by - NewWay on 9 August 2002 17:42:27

Edited by - NewWay on 9 August 2002 17:46:2

• NewWay
    NewWay

LittleToe: Just a short note on "autotheos". I explained my understanding of this word as "self-god" in comparison with Jesus who is "monogenes theos", or "only-begotten god". I think the distinction is clear, that he who is self-made is different from he who requires another to produce him. From what I've read about Origen it seems that he was instrumental in promoting a prototype trinity. His 'problem' is that he cannot seem to visualise that Jesus Christ could actually be 'physically' detached from the Father. It is almost like he needs Jesus Christ to have some umbilical cord that always 'connects' him with the Father, so that he can always be a part of the Father. I don't think Origen ever really broke with Greek philosophic modes of thinking even after becoming a Christian. As a result he appears to have tried to 'intellectualise' Christianity instead of keeping to the simple statements made in the Bible. So, his interpretations of the nature of Jesus Christ should not be taken as 'gospel' by Christians, however as I said at the beginning of this thread he has a useful role to play in showing that the Greek of John 1:1c did not even imply a definite article. This is definitely my last post on the matter!

Kind regards.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This whole thread has deteriorated into a Trinity debate, and I find that sad.

We've come to the usual point in the proceedings where we all shake hands (if we haven't run off in temper), and go back to our corners. Stalemate.

Personally I have enjoyed this thread, if for nothing else than to have seen what others believe and how they support that belief. As I commented to Plmkrzy, earlier, I would fight for the right for people to express that.

I've started a new thread in "Beliefs" asking a grassroots question on worship of Christ. I hope that a few might add their worthy opinions to that consideration.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34230&site=3

• Jeremiah Lee
    Jeremiah Lee
    note the fact that in order for Christ to be "subjected" to the Father, he would have to have been equal at one time.

"he would have to have been equal at one time." WHY?

Your usage of the word "Fact" is only relivant in it's original text. After that it is no longer fact but your opinion.

You have highlighted what YOU BELIEVE to be KEY text.

And I have to dissagree with you in bold highlights that the time and place and refference to is besides the point. It IS the point. The whole point. OTHERWISE it is only consistant with putting God back in the box man created for him.

plum

Hey Plum and God bless you ;),

The question to be answered is not my own opinion, but the simple principle derived from the passage. WHAT must Christ have been statuswise in order to be MADE subject. Here lies the rub. In order to be MADE subject, you would have to be equal to the person to which you are MADE subject.

God bless you in the highest,

Jeremiah

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Well this is looking like a marrygoround so rather then try and continue the debate at this time I'll just answer your response by using your response, but edited it to expand the punch line just a bit.;)

The question to be answered is not my own opinion, but the simple principle derived from the passage. WHAT must Christ have been statuswise in order to be MADE subject. Here lies the rub. In order to be MADE. the end

Plum

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Surely, Jesus can MAKE HIMSELF subject.

Satan MADE HIMSELF Devil.

I MADE MYSELF type this.

Jesus MADE HIMSELF subject to Father.

Edited by - pomegranate on 10 August 2002 9:12:5

• Jeremiah Lee
    Jeremiah Lee

Just before this thread dies out:

Proverbs8 I agree with. See here http://www.tektonics.org/JPH_AOA.html for a nice essay by JP Holding.

I believe Jesus was the 'wisdom' of Prov8. However the question to ask is 'why not use the Hebrew words for 'create' i.e. 'bara' or 'asha' over the word 'qanah', which is a more of a verb which implies 'to get'.

Additionally,

Begotten~Acts13:33. ;-)

God bless,

Jeremiah L.G.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

There were times in the New Testament where Jesus received worship (people did obesience to him), if he were not God then this would have been wrong and Jesus always corrected someone if they were wrong. He accepted the worship because he was God. First of all you have to look at it as a Tri-Unity and not a Trinity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one and the three make up the One God. It's like an Egg. The Shell, Egg white and the yoke. The three parts are all Egg but together they are an Egg. Three in One. Space has Height, Width and Depth but it is space.

I really don't think it is a big issue. You can believe that the Jesus is the Son of God because he is. Jehovah is God the father. In order to gain salvation you have to put faith in Jesus the Son of God. You see God could not come himself so he came by way of his son Jesus to try to get us to understand him better. You have to admit we never would have understood the depth of God's love if it were not for Jesus. Do you really thing we as humans could really totally understand what God is made up of. I know that Jesus is not a little god and Jehovah a big God because there is only ONE god. The Bible says that plainly. We just have a hard time understanding what God is. So the only thing that makes sense if for Jesus to be God or part of the Godhead.

Now that I have rambled on.....It makes sense in my head but I can't really put it into words.

• puzzled
    puzzled
    You see God could not come himself so he came by way of his son Jesus to try to get us to understand him better.

lv4fer

This is one, if not the most popular, belief or idea regarding God/Jesus for sure.

I think of it in an entirely different way from having read through the scriptures so many times.

It would probably be the least popular opinion but ...like I care eh?

I believe we would have been wiped out completely by God and he would have maybe just started on some other project (trying to be "not so Heavy here") if not for Jesus.

I don't think it was Gods idea in the first place to keep us around and certainly not his idea to sacrifice his son so that we may have another opportunity to prove ourselves worthy on an individual bases.

If Jesus hadn't asked his father to spare us and put himself in the position that he did in order TO spare us then we would have been toast. Adam and Eve wouldnt have made it as long as they did.

I think God (The Father) just agreed and allowed it, BECASUE he loved his son more then he loved us.

Which is certainly OK with me. I would not expect it any other way.

Plum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit