Why do so many people believe that jesus is god?

by Legendary U.2.K. 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ash:
    Why waste your posting limit, dude? If you don't care then leave those, who do, to their enjoyment

NewWay:
    Like you, I often end up first looking things up in the NWT because of decades of using it. I also hate cut'n'paste psuedo-research.

I'm afraid that you didn't answer my questions for the following reasons:

1. My point was that the Spirit has specific conversations attributed to him, beyond just crying out.

2. Are you, therefore, casting doubt on Pratten's translation of Athenagorus?

3. I was refering to Origen, who you quoted, not the bible. You didn't address this.

I accept that neither of us are going to convince the other, but I'm always one to broaden my horizons and understand a view or piece of research. There's evidently been a reasonable amount of work put into this.

Every blessing.

• NewWay
    NewWay

LittleToe:

I'll try to answer your questions. 1. My point was that the Spirit has specific conversations attributed to him, beyond just crying out. As an illustration of an impersonal thing being spoken of as doing things a person does, please note the following extract from the Bible:

"Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn her seven pillars, she has prepared the feast, mixed the wine, and also set the table. She has sent out her maids to announce on the heights of the town, 'Let the simple enter here'; to those devoid of sense she says, 'Come, eat my food and drink the wine that I have mixed; give up simpleness and live, walk in the way of understanding.'" - Proverbs 9:1-6 (Tanahk - JPS)

In Hebrews 12:24, the "blood of the sprinkling" is said to "speak". Also, Luke 19:40 recounts an occasion when Jesus said that stones could "cry out". When the 'Holy Spirit' is said to speak, that does not make 'it' a person any more than 'lips' are that "speak in all sincerity" (Job 33:3 - NJB). For instance we do not count a mouth and tongue as having a literal personality, they simply constitute a system by which speech is produced.

In line with the basic meaning of 'spirit' (Greek = 'pnuema') as being 'breath' or 'wind', it is interesting the method in which Jesus gave 'Holy Spirit' to his disciples in this account:

"When he [Jesus] had said this, he breathed (Greek = 'emphusao' = 'to puff') on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'" - John 20:22 (NRSV) 2. Are you, therefore, casting doubt on Pratten's translation of Athenagorus?
    Let's say I'm not convinced that Athenagorus meant 'he', 'himself', etc with reference to the 'Holy Spirit'. Unfortunately, I cannot put the translator's English text to the test because I do not have a copy of the original Greek. That means that I cannot see for myself the 'gender' of the Greek pronouns. If Athenagorus (and I don't see any reason why he should not have) used proper grammar, then the pronouns attributed to the 'Holy Spirit' would have been neuter (e.g. 'it'), since the gender of 'spirit' (Greek = 'pneuma') is neuter. If this is the case, then a literal translation of the relevant underlying Greek pronouns would be 'it'/'itself', and not 'he'/'himself'. So, in this case the translator would have to make a decision whether the 'it' refered to a person or a thing. Obviously, Pratten being a church official (I assume that from the title Reverend), and a supporter of the trinity doctrine would decide in favour of its being a person. In that case he would obviously make the decision to translate the pronouns as masculine, since rendering them as neuter would contradict his theological belief regarding the 'Holy Spirit'. If I am casting doubt on Pratten's translation it is not doubt about the main text or his competence as a translator, only his choice of how to render pronouns in this particular case. If you feel I haven't answered this question in a way that leaves no doubt as to my view, then please let me know and I will attempt to explain again using an illustration. 3. I was refering to Origen, who you quoted, not the bible. You didn't address this.I thought I did address the word 'autotheos', and gave my understanding of the word based on Greek definition. I explained the difference between a self-existing 'god' (i.e. 'autotheos' - no predecessor to produce 'him') and a 'god' who is generated from another (i.e. 'monogenes theos'). It was my assumption that you wanted to know my definition of the word 'autotheos', but maybe you wanted to know my take on Origen's arguments. If that is so, then I would have to repeat what I tried to communicate earlier that my interest in Origen's statements concerning John 1:1c was based upon his understanding of Koine Greek. His theology is another matter. Maybe you could be more specific as to what opinions you would like me to express regarding Origen's works.

Kind regards.
  • Ephesians6
    Ephesians6

Legendary in your own mind. WHO CAN FORGIVE SINS BUT GOD ALONE. Jesus forgives sin

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Legendary in your own mind. WHO CAN FORGIVE SINS BUT GOD ALONE. Jesus forgives sin

Yes because God gave him the authority to and Jesus himself SAID SO!

• Jeremiah Lee
  • Jeremiah Lee
    Jeremiah Lee

>>>Yes because God gave him the authority to and Jesus himself SAID SO!<<<

1Corinthians15:24 "Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power........vs28....When He has done this, THEN the Son WILL BE made SUBJECT to Him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all."

*Note how Christ "gives" the Kingdom to the Father. Note additionally how the Son will only be MADE "subject" to the Father when this happens. What is Christ's relative position to the Father before subjection? Equal. Otherwise there would be no "subjection".

On this see Jn5:18 where John the narrator interjects to state Christ's equality with the Father. Now jump to Rev13:5 where the articles in the Greek appear before the "honor, glory, and praise' in order to denote THE honor, that honor which we must give to Christ JUST AS we do the Father..cf..Jn5:23. There are no "level of degrees" in worship given to the Father and Son here. They are honored as equals. See Rev20:6 "...but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years." What does a priest do? Serve -'latreuo', i.e. service only allowable to God.

Read: Rev7:15 "..they are before the throne of God and serve [latreuo] Him day and night in his temple;........For the lamb at the center of the throne..."

*We see that the throne is shared between the Father and Son. We see that the people who are made priests of God and Christ are performing the acts of priests...i.e. service. Jesus is served; see also Rev22:3.

God bless,

Jeremiah L.G.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

NewWay:

My comment about Autotheos was in connection to what you felt Origen was stating about this term. It was really just a follow-on from from the previous point in the passage that you had marked up.

As for the Holy Spirit being "breathed" - the Holy Spirit is spirit, not flesh and blood. Why shouldn't terms such as "pour" or "breath", be used? To insist that spirit must conform to laws of physics would contradictory.

As for your chosen passage in Proverbs 9, this is probably the only passage that you could have chosen as an example. What is it really saying, though? Reading it in context, bringing in chapter 8, we see whom it is actually speaking of, and who it is that is speaking...

Just my 2p.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Cause they took out Jehovah and replaced with Lord and God. They thought it was too "Holy". I need more info into why they think Jesus is greater than Jehovah.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Robert wrote, " If the Bible didn't teach that Jesus is God, nobody would believe it."

Where does is say in the NWT that Jesus is God? Did God die so we can be perfect or did his son die?

Many people thought that the father was in Jesus by the way Jesus used examples. They were symbolic and not figurative examples. DUH!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nobody thinks that Jesus is greater than Jehovah.

Some believe that Jesus IS Jehovah.

You won't find the name Jehovah in the New Testament - that is one error in the NWT, because they have taken an interpretive approach to translation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit