Why do so many people believe that jesus is god?

by Legendary U.2.K. 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Towards the end of Jesus' answer to John, he mentions how he is proclaiming the "good news" to the poor (compare Isaiah 61:1 & 2). People were poor both spiritually and materially. Jesus was well aware of the human needs of spiritual and physical sustenance, so he did what he could to help the people (Mark 6:34 to 44). Jesus had harsh words for the religious leaders, who unreasonably insisted that the people should conform to all sorts of burdensome and unnecessary laws (Matthew chapter 23).

COOL Link. Thanks for posting it.

plum

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

I have already had John 1:1 answered to my satisfaction from an expert witness (Origen) who actually spoke Koine Greek while it was still a living language, someone who obviously knew what he was talking about.

Okay, I'll bite. Where did Origen "answer" John 1:1? (I wasn't aware it was a question.) I haven't heard of Origen cited as an opponent of the Trinity before, so I'd be interested in reading what you're referring to here.

Thanks,

Robert Frazier

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

NewWay said:

I have already had John 1:1 answered to my satisfaction from an expert witness (Origen) who actually spoke Koine Greek while it was still a living language, someone who obviously knew what he was talking about.

I would be careful here...I had been thinking about this and thought "well why not ask someone who actually speaks the language to tell us what the passage says in the original language." Then I thought "well that has probably been done and yet we still have this (among others) issue in translation"...hmmmm

The only thing I can figure is that language mutates...quickly. You really can't just go on what is written there. you HAVE to know how the words were used at the specific time. just to illustrate consider the word gay. Just in the last 100 years we have seen this word go from one meaning to another. look at publications from the early 1900's. We see the word used as a description of happieness and now 100 years later it means something totally diffrent. Both meanings are listed in the dictionary. Do you have any idea how many other words in the dictionary have muliple meanings? I can imagine some good debates 500 years from now over documents from this last centurary on the word gay alone. The people arguing about it could very well speak english but that does not mean that they will know just how exactly the word was being used. I see this same sort of thing happening now with the whole bible translation thing. One must also know just exactly how the words were used in the contempory time that they were written...anyone got a time machine hidden away?

• plmkrzy
  • plmkrzy
  • plmkrzy
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

This should be a good place to start. Hope this is what you were looking for

• Legendary U.2.K.
    Legendary U.2.K.

All i'm saying is that, Their is only 1 God, and their is one lord.. Anybody Who believe that Christ is God, is a fool..."(quote,jesus) "MY FATHER HATH SENT ME "<--------Heed it or dont bother to pay attention....

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Many Christian's believe that Jesus is God because the Bible tells them that Jesus is God and that the Holy Ghost is God. Only the WTS has dishonestly changed words and punctuation in their pathetic attempt to translate the scriptures. Talk about literary dishonesty. Now, I don't happen to be one who believes in a transcendant being at all, but if one is going to adhere to the beliefs of the Bible with regard to "God", then it should be just as simple to comprehend God as a trinity as it is to comprehend a God who is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. JW's don't argue against those characteristics in their notion of God.

The problem with JW thinking when it comes to trying to understand the Bible and concepts of God begins with their arrogance in thinking that they can make logical sense out of the mystical. That somehow, there is black and white understanding when it comes to stories about a man-God who healed the sick, raised the dead, fed the multitudes, and walked on water. Make sense out of those tricks Bunky and then we can proceed to understanding a triune God.

All of the JW false doctrines about the Bible and what it means are nothing new. From Roman times until today, people and groups of people have tried to put their own spin and explanation on the Bible. Personally, I believe it is nothing more than a mythological moral code book. And it is very useful as that in many ways. But the WTS proves that it can also be very dangerous and ruin many lives when in the hands of the dishonest. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a dishonest and corrupt group of psuedo scholars, who have figured out a marketing scheme that has hit the jackpot.

Oh well, another day, another rant!

Edited by - drahcir yarrum on 1 August 2002 17:10:56

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

Legendary,

I would encourage you to read my above thread and then thake this into consideration. There have been some that have made the argument that when Jesus said "MY FATHER HATH SENT ME" that he was in fact saying he and his father were one. You have to look at the culture as well as language. It has been said that back then one would allways refer to themselves as " ____son of____" and that you were directly linked to the nature/respect of your father. As a matter of fact many considered you in the very same way they cocsidered your father. Soooo...the argument has been made that when you consider cultural and contempory manner of communication at the time, that in fact Jesus was makeing a direct claim to being the same as god (son same as father thinking). This would explain very well why the pharacies (spelling?) started to stone him saying that he claimed to be god.

from john 10

33 The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we stone you but for blasphemy; because you, being a man, make yourself God."

unless you understand the cultral signifigance at the time of saying "I am the son of ______" this passage does not make sence.

(yes I know there is some redundecy in this post but sometimes that is required to make your point to a sealed mind)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit