English elder logs in.

by caspian 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Caspian,

You're in for quite a rough ride, but, such is the price of freedom.

The only advice I would give to anyone in your position is to get yourself quietly into a social scene where you are not judged on your religious beliefs. Anything at all is good, art classes, keep fit, a part-time college course learning about something that has always intrigued you, even working as a volunteer on a preserved railway. A spirit of cameraderie soon develops, this is based entirely on what you are, as opposed to what you do and what you believe.

Englishman.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

'Allo, Casp. Elder's daughter here. I'm American, but my second husband is an Englishman. We've just moved to France.

My father abused me, and was told he was allowed to stay an elder. He stepped down because I kicked up a fuss.

• larc
    larc

Welcome Caspian, I wish you much success with helping your family. One former elder's story may be of help to you. If you go to the bottom of the page to FreeMinds and click it on you can find how this person helped his family. When you get to the main page, go to the left column and click on True Stories. Then click on "Old timeers in the JW work now tell their stories". Once on this page click on "How I helped my family leave Jehovah's Witnesses after 27 years." This was written by someone who posts here as Amazing. Perhaps, you have read his work over the past year.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Welcome Caspian,

As you have been circling for a year, you will probably know most of the personalities on the Board and we are certainly looking forward to getting to know you a little better.

I suspect that reading Joe Henderson's letter and his subsequent appalling treatment will give a voice to many persons who are beginning to see what the WTS truly stands for.

Best regards to you and yours - HS

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Caspian: Welcome. If you want to help you family out, you might consider many comments. If you click on my web link to the left, the little blue globe with the red arrow, you will go to my web site. You can click on the topic, "How I Helped My Family Leave Jehovah's Witnesses." At the time I left, my wife and four children were all JWs ... hope this article helps you. Let me know. Or you can click here and go directly to the article at Freeminds.org: or simply click here: http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm.

Edited by - Amazing on 24 July 2002 10:4:11

• Latte
    Latte

Welcome Caspian!

Glad that you are now posting as opposed to lurking. There are some really great folks who post on here, the recent ex-JW meeting....errr... barbie/party (at Englishmans) has really confirmed that for me! (it was just great by the way!!

I'm sure that many are able to offer some fine advise to you in such a difficult position. Slowly is probably the best way to go.....I wish you well.

I hope that you stick around

Latte

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Caspian,

Welcom aboard. As you can see, we're pleased to see ya!

I guess you already have gathered that here are Dubs and exDubs from many backgrounds. We have many who, like you, have served as elders for many years. We admire your courage and, as Eman has said, you're in for a rough ride.

Mrs Ozzie and I found that we needed to do much honest examination of our beliefs. You'll find many publications and sites will help. My wife and I shared with some others in examining the JW teachings with the aid of two books written by Ray Franz, "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom". They're obtainable by mail order direct from Commentary Press. Here's their link:

http://www.commentarypress.com/

Good hunting, brother!

Cheers, Ozzie

• metatron
    metatron

Welcome Caspian

It really hurts to realize that the organization you've poured your
    life into is corrupt. I know this feeling very well, having served
    for many years.

The horror here is this: They are undergoing a reverse 'cleansing'!

Instead of getting better and kinder and more honest, it's all
    just rotting away. I have a friend who greeted my resignation
    with "all the good elders are giving up, the ones who really care
    about the friends are quitting".

Whatever you do, keep your mouth shut unless you don't care
    about being DF'd in a witchhunt. If you want to quit, just say
    you are depressed and refuse to say anything else.

metatron

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Caspian

Welcome to the board

• caspian
    caspian

Kat

I checked there is two Vineys on the HLC lists, I have never met your father, but thanks for the info.

Ozzie Thanks for the link, I will order the books perhaps to a mail drop. however I don't think that any thing will suprise me.

Metatron thanks for the good advice about being careful. all the moves I know make will have to be thought through carefully.

Amazing. I have read your lifestory over the past few months and your courage is helping me.

Thanks to everyone else for your kind words

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit