Who is an atheist here, just wondering?

by spectromize 49 Replies latest jw friends

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Greetings all,

I have been lurking here for some time, increasingly more due to the different problems on H2O, technical and otherwise. Thought I'd come out of the woodwork for this one.

Not an atheist, not a Christian either and never have been a JW. When I asked my hubby to examine the WT organization, I thought it only fair that I look at the religion I was raised in, so I did, then I looked at a Christianity in general. I felt increasingly uncomfortable in attending church professing beliefs that were no longer mine, so I walked away.

This decision actually distressed my husband more than my refusal to let our children attend the KH or the conflict that arose between us because of his membership in the WT Org, or at least it appears that way to me.

I'm not sure what label to smack on me, I'm kinda tired of those anyways, I'll just save my labels for my jars of jelly. I know I don't have the answers, just a bunch of questions, questions that no human on this earth can answer with 100% certainty. Surprisingly, I'm incredibly comfortable with that. I told one of my friends last night, if there is a god and he/she wants to get in touch with me, then he/she knows where I live and he/she can stop on by and chat.

Lastly, why am I posting here?
    Well, this website is for JWs and interested ones. I fall into the latter group. My in-laws and hubby have allowed this organization "to do a number" on my family, and this looks like a place where I can correspond with people who understand my situation. If you are on the greeting committee, I would not be opposed to a glass of water and a seat around here with a good view of the activity. ;)

Peace and Blessings,
    Michelle

• trevor
    trevor

DUPLICATED

Edited by - trevor on 13 March 2001 12:2:5

• trevor
    trevor

Whether we believe in God is not all that important. As long as God continues to believe in us and sustain life on this planet, and throughout the universe, then our deliberations will make little difference to the grand scheme of things

Trevor

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day Michelle,

First post eh? Hey watch it - I just became a seniour member! (50 posts already - whose silly idea was that? Old JW habits die hard it seems. lol) I agree with your comments on labels and being comfortable with questions.

happy posting, unclebruce who questions his own labling.

Lao Tsu

Those who know do not talk.
    And those talk do not know.

Tao Te Ching 56A

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day unc,

Glad to see you're up early.
    Are congrats in order for your elevation?

Don't be surprised about the tags they give you here, after all it is a JW board!!! LOL

Have you put in your Feb report yet? Don't forget to show No. of Posts for the month; No. of Responses; No of Times Read.

Ozzie (Of the non-reporting class)

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

I'm a Wiccan, not an Atheist, but to some people, that's much, MUCH worse. ;)

Ultimately, I believe the divine is the incomprehensible energy source from which everything else came and of which we're all a part. It isn't necessarily a "person" as we know it; human beings created the gods so that they could relate to their source more easily. I've thought of other possibilities, too, (including theories of polytheism) but right now, panentheism is the one that makes the most sense to me.

And just for the record, yes, I used to be a Witness. I left a year and a few months ago. I'm on this board because I got bored with all the bickering on H2O, and I've noticed some familiar names here, too. Hi, y'all. :)

*Rochelle. :)

"Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• Seven
    Seven

Sunchild and Michelle, Welcome to the board-enjoyed reading your posts
    over on H2O.

Spec, I'm not sure what I believe anymore.
    * http://www.atheists.org/drive.thru/atheism.html

• jelly
    jelly

As for me I believe in a creator (God) but I am much more interested now in spirituality and less so in orthodoxy. I also believe that Jehovah, Allah, Vishnu, etc, are all the same God just seen in a different cultural context.
    Jelly

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Welcome Michelle and Sun,
    Enjoyed your posts very much!!
    Sun,
    I have a friend who has some phsycic ability. Interesting that an ex-JW would go to this side. (Wiccan) Would love to hear more. Feel free to email me.
    TW

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Hi, Seven of Nine and Thinker's Wife, thanks for the welcome.

Hi Uncle Bruce, I have to get busy posting--I saw the title of Jedi Member and that sounds so cool. Darn! Isn't that a label though?!!!

Sunchild, glad to see you here. How's the book writing going?

Peace and Blessings,
    Michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit