McKinney Texas pool party?

by Marvin Shilmer 305 Replies latest social current

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

I said in the first sentence that people think nothing should be done. SO when i said, "WHEN NOTHING IS DONE" I was saying it with the idea of IF nothing was done.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Because the general consensus appeared that he did nothing wrong and that everything he did was justified.

Because I think the officer at issue didn't do anything worth getting fired over does not mean I think he (and others) can't improve, and that's where I think emphasis should be. This incident is a learning moment.

But I'm still waiting for more investigatory information before I form a comprehensive conclusion about the matter. For instance, it would be helpful to know what other officers on the scene were running after, and why. Knowing the number of officers on the scene and their order of arrival should prove enlightening too. And that radio transmission made just prior to the bikini gal episode could be very helpful in understanding what was on the mind of the officer and why.

There could easily have been concealed firearms in that crowd, and probably there was given we're talking about an incident in Texas. Officers realized this. There was report of violence. The crowd was anxious and mouthy. Several individuals were failing to remove themselves from the chaos, which caused needless distraction. I'd have been as loud and as obnoxious as necessary to restore order so I could better focus on whatever presented the greatest danger, if any danger remained. I'm mostly glad that we're not talking about grieving parents.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Billyblobber...I agree with several of your observations. And it is true, every area is different in demographics and crime levels. I worked in an area that was a mix of very prosperous professionals and a large Hispanic population. We had a fairly active gang scene, so we typically went from a "barking dog" call to a "man with a gun" call. I saw my fair share of youth oriented crime, and dealt with all types of ethnicities. As a rookie cop, I was trained to treat everyone the same, without consideration of race. What I did see in my years on the job was the jaded attitude officers could develop over time. This was not towards a specific race, but rather a "type". The type included black gang members, Hispanic gang members and white supremacists. The common thread tying them all together was not color but behavior. It is very difficult to not become jaded when dealing with these idiots...where it becomes problematic is when one fails to differentiate between the thug and the law abiding citizen. I think this is what happens in many lower socio-economic areas, and thus the negative interaction with the local police.

If you haven't done so yet Billy, I would recommend you do a ride along with a busy department. It may reinforce your opinions, or it may give you an additional perspective on police officers. It can be a real eye opener, and it will be unscripted.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I would caution relying solely on video footage of an incident. So often, it is a snippet in time, and doesn't always show the entire incident. Video is helpful, but it has limitations...too many people take a small video clip as telling the whole story.

Even body cams, which are being touted as the way to curb abuse, have limitations. The cameras are usually worn on the front of the uniform shirt. In the event of an officer involved shooting, the camera's view can be obstructed by the officer's shooter stance (arms out in front of them, two handed grip on the gun) and thus block seeing the actions leading up to, and the actual shooting itself. Like every tool, it is helpful, but not foolproof.

As I mentioned before, nothing is as simple as it seems...tasers fail, pepper spray can be ineffective, impact weapons can have no effect, emotions can get out of control, audio and video recorders can be unusable, and people get scared in stressful situations. If we could control all of these, we would likely be having less of these conversations.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This incident is a learning moment - it should be, but it's not.

For the Texan officer guilty of nothing more than roughing up a lippy teenager, it's a case of one strike and you're out.

• Simon
    Simon

Once again we've seen how important it is to get your lie out as soon as possible. The first lie gets repeated and repeated and becomes the believed truth regardless of facts.

I've seen over and over people on TV describe it as cops randomly deciding to break up the kids (own) pool party just because some neighbors thought they were a little loud.

That wasn't it at all !!

They were invading other people's pool party, they were being aggressive and I'm sorry, if you do that to me and pushed my little kids around then yes, I'm calling the cops and going to punch you in the face to stop you.

But what do the media seize on? One short "this will make a headline" snippet from the whole incident of white cop / black teen.

I would caution relying solely on video footage of an incident. So often, it is a snippet in time, and doesn't always show the entire incident. Video is helpful, but it has limitations...too many people take a small video clip as telling the whole story.

I agree. It's lazy reporting and the clips filmed are obviously selective. People filming cops while others antagonize them are only ever going to show the footage where the cop makes a mistake for the people without a clue to leap on as proof of a massive conspiracy by the police to subjugate black people.

It's manipulation of the story and the news agencies go along without reporting the whole thing accurately. If it will get views then it will air because that makes them money and they are always looking to contribute to a bigger story (let's get a march and riot started !).

Why does what is right not the deciding factor for you all in this case? Is it right for a teenager not to have rights covered under the law? Is the deciding factor for some that she was a girl/child? Does she not deserve dignity because she has spiral hair?

I don't care about her color, her hair, her age or her rights. What about the rights of everyone else to enjoy the property that they pay for without an invading mob of obnoxious freeloaders? Why are her rights the most important out of everyone else's? Because of her color or her hair?

She had the right to walk away but chose not to excise it. She had the right to do any number of things that didn't involve trespassing. Again, she chose not to.

It seems she had lots of freedoms and rights given to her including the right to make bad choices and do stupid things and learn about consequences.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Realtalk "I do think that the same way that you claim the jehovah witness are brainwashed so too are you guys that have no mental flexibility to see the apparent brainwashing done to all unknowing through stereotyping, implying, subliminal seduction and race classification and then interpreting and defining people race based on movies, movie roles, music, ect. all controlled by the government by the way...."

Nice summary.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/06/11/orlando-police-excessive-force-kicking-man-cabrera-newday.cnn

In Orlando yesterday a man was having an altercation with his girlfriend. They were fighting and Police came. They tried to arrest the subject and he ran away. They shocked him and he ran. He apparently hit the officers as well. That is what the officer states, and I believe him. So as the man ran away he decides not to run anymore and give up. He sits down on the curb and surrenders.

As an officer of the law what should you do now. Should you get angry and kick the man repeatedly and take out your aggression for what he previously did... or do you do your job and just cuff him? Well the general feeling of the comments were:

1. He was fighting with a woman so he deserves to have his ass beat by the cops.

2. He resisted initially so what happens after that is up to the discretion of the police

3. He was a criminal so he got what he deserved.

None of which make sense. Again police are not to take out aggression on anyone, that is not their job. If my brother annoys me and he punches me in the face and I lash back and beat him unconscious I still get in trouble because I went overboard. Police need to be held to the same standard. Does not matter if the offender is white / black / Yellow / Green or polka dot.

• Laika
    Laika

Of course nobody on this forum actually thinks it would be ok for a police officer to grab them or a family member by the hair, pull them on to the floor, slam their face on the ground and sit on them in similar circumstances, if it happened to them or a family member they would be raging. The bad faith arguments and obfuscation is being used to cover up the fact that they just want black people treated differently.

The same white supremacists who believe black people need a brutal police regime to keep them in check will soon appear on another thread to lecture black people about how they just can't get ahead because they're too lazy.

• Simon
    Simon

So yet another case of some moron attacking a police officer who are supposed to just smile back,

You do know police aren't supposed to be "jesus" don't you? You expect the whole "turn the other cheek" thing, really?

Are you ever going to post any links to reports where cops are killed or attacked or help people or is every one going to be "white cop is mean to black man".

• Simon
    Simon
    Of course nobody on this forum actually thinks it would be ok for a police officer to grab them or a family member by the hair, pull them on to the floor, slam their face on the ground and sit on them in similar circumstances, if it happened to them or a family member they would be raging. The bad faith arguments and obfuscation is being used to cover up the fact that they just want black people treated differently.

Well I know my kids would never talk-back or be in any way disrespectful. They have been brought up to know right from wrong, to be respectful and to obey the law. I believe it's part of my responsibility as a parent to bring up my children to be good citizens and it will also serve as a protection to them to avoid bad outcomes from doing stupid things.

So I don't believe they are at any risk of anything like that happening because I don't believe police go round randomly tackling people. Nothing to do with color. Everything to do with attitude and respect.

But how dare you accuse anyone of racism - you are out of order. No one "wants black people treated differently" - that is the point! They should be treated the same as everyone else which includes being arrested if they do dumb things. They should not be untouchable simply because they are black which is clearly what some are campaigning for. Black lives matter ... no more or less than anyone else's.

If the girl has been white or any shade of tan in-between my opinion would be the same - she's an idiot. Of course we wouldn't be having this conversation because no one would have posted the video of it and if they had it wouldn't have been deemed "news" and replayed endlessly by the media and there would be no "white leaders" campaigning for marches by the community.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit