Schoolyard bully mentality

by FusionTheism 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

DJS,

There are bad religious people just like there are bad non-religious people.

Surely it's not open-minded or logical (actually it is a logical fallacy) to look at the bad religious people and then declare that all religion is.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

In addition, why do atheists (9% of the population, maybe) think they have a monopoly on truth, or that they are so superior to the other 91% of people?

Really FT? You are not helping yourself.

Atheists (unlike every religion) DO NOT claim to have a monopoly on "truth". No, actually a better statement would be that they only deal in truth, facts and evidence, so the things that are considered true are just that. What you are suggesting is that they claim to have all the answers when no they do not, and that is the very thing that really differentiates godless non-religious types from theists, the ability to say "we don't know the answer to a everything, only what is known to be true.

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
    Steven Weinberg

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    ... why do atheists (9% of the population, maybe) think they have a monopoly on truth, or that they are so superior to the other 91% of people?

That's properly termed a converse accident. As there are some theists who think they are superior to atheists there are also some atheists who think themselves superior to theists. So what? Each is silly nonsensical thinking.

I'll just say again, that almost all the major positive world-changing events in history have been done by theists.

That's a perfect example of an unproven assertion. And, this is how you think?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I'll just say again, that almost all the major positive world-changing events in history have been done by theists.

Perhaps so, but that is slightly like arguing that Hitler was atheist and did what he did as a result. Whether he was or wasn't is irrelevant - he did what he did because he was an evil nutjob. In reality, positive, world changing events were done by moral people concerned about their fellow humans. You can argue a correlation with core Christian principles but many of these theists were so due to the age and culture they lived in. I would argue that it is just as likely that many of these positive actions would have happened if the people behind them had no faith in a god or gods.

You cannot distance evil acts perpetrated by theists as being simply down to the misapplication of holy writings by evil people and yet claim every good and charitable act undertaken by a theist is because they had a faith and no atheist would have had the moral compassion to do the same.

• DJS
    DJS

FusionTheism,

Other than one of your first OPs, where you friend chastising us, your OPs have consistently been moderate, for an x-tian. You typically use the word 'suggestion' and try to avoid dogmatic preaching. Thank you for that. However, the sheer volume of your OPs about jesus/god/bible and at times appearing to be a JW apologist, for a newbie, is obviously going to catch a lot of unwanted attention.

You should have known that. In addition, although your tone is moderate, you cite scripture and other x-tian teachings in a manner that these are edict, confirmed, truth. That's gonna get you in a lot of hot water on this site, as it should.

I have avoided almost all of your OPs out of respect and based on your moderate tone. Again, thank you. But those who came before you and are still in your midst - illustrated by today's news and historical accounts presented for your enjoyment - are really the rest of the story. You can't hide behind bully/victim as if your beliefs and how they have been practiced occur in a vacuum. Lurkers are smart enough to understand that.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Again, not naming names, but it seems some of the militant atheists and anti-theists have adopted the EXACT same practices of exclusivity, being one of "the elite," and ridicule & name-calling propaganda tactics that have been used by JW elders and leaders.

"Only atheists have the truth!"

"All theists are ignorant or liars!"

"Only atheists are intelligent!"

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Again, not naming names, but it seems some of the militant atheists and anti-theists have adopted the EXACT same practices of exclusivity, being one of "the elite," and ridicule & name-calling propaganda tactics that have been used by JW elders and leaders.

Please, do name those names, if you can. I personally don't think that you can, but, here's an opportunity to stop playing coy games. Just say who you mean. Step up to the plate and take a swing. Go big or go home.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

DJS,

Let me see if I understand you right:

You're saying that I, as a moderate Christian, should have EXPECTED to be bullied on a website that proclaims itself to be "friendly and tolerant?"

Isn't that the exact same attitude as people who say that women who "dress like sluts" can EXPECT or DESERVE to be raped?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

basing your life and beliefs on evidence based information frees you from superstitions and fairy tales for those willing to live and believe that way. Why is that so bad???

You're saying that I, as a moderate Christian, should have EXPECTED to be bullied on a website that proclaims itself to be "friendly and tolerant?"

FT you seem very emotional, religion and theism are largely based on emotion (verses the things we are talking about). Your responses such as the one I have highlighted here show you playing into an apologists persecution complex. You started a debate about theism. Debating has nothing to do with tolerance, if we stoned you or disfellowshipped you for believing the way you do, that is intolerance.

• Viviane
    Viviane

That's not at all what he said.

Isn't that the exact same attitude as people who say that women who "dress like sluts" can EXPECT or DESERVE to be raped?

Or daughters who are sold as sex slaves by their fathers can expect it? Oh, sorry, I was slipping into Biblical morality there for a minute.

No one has bullied you. Stop being such a sad sack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit