Schoolyard bully mentality

by FusionTheism 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan

I'm going to interject to ask some honest questions of FusionTheism.

FT, do you value evidence and rationality when forming an opinion on a matter?

The answer to that question is important. It's important to your freedom, for Jesus said, "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

How can one "know" the truth? How does one "know" anything is true? Is it just a feeling one gets? Is something "true" because that's just how you were raised? Or is something actually "true" because the evidence shows it to be so?

How would you answer these questions?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    So now disagreeing with you on an internet discussion forum is equlivant to raping a woman and saying she deserved it....
  • DJS
    DJS

FT,

Of course I'm not saying that. No one should be bullied. But there are times, as others have pointed out, that what you and other theists view as bullying is hurtful only because you can't respond in a rational manner with evidence. And FT, the bible isn't rational nor is it evidence - other than for the atheists' views.

Sometimes you and other theists are bullied and some comments are un-called for; I agree. Of course there are intelligent theists and theists who have done great things and stupid, immoral atheists. But these types of debates about atheist/theist morality and intelligence began by theists routinely posting that atheists were baby killing, god hating, soul-less, unethical, lying, cheating whores. We pushed back. Hard. And we have the evidence to prove otherwise.

I use sarcasm at times (talking about slow moving zombie theists, for example), but everyone on this site knows I am using sarcasm and humor to make points. As a newbie you may not have understood that. That's how I'm drawn.

I have lots of theist friends I would die for; they are smart and decent and educated.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Religious people have committed evil crimes this is true. But it also true that today's new atheism is creating an atmosphere where in the future, if it were not for government standing in the way, the religious would be drawn and quartered by some who are just as evil as those pictured above.

It's people who commit evil crimes. There are religious who would never harm another person and atheists who would also never harm another person. But there are on both sides those who seek to divide and inflame.

In the U.S. most Christians live quiet lives, go to church on Sunday, and do not force their religion on anyone. They give toward whatever charity their church is supporting.

Truly what is being reflected here by some is the Dawkins school of paint all with the same brush. He gets a bigger audience by doing so. But it is a lie.

Frank

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Religious people have committed evil crimes this is true. But it also true that today's new atheism is creating an atmosphere where in the future, if it were not for government standing in the way, the religious would be drawn and quartered by some who are just as evil as those pictured above.

Oh, yeah, that's totally a fantasy of your own making that has no semblance with reality.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Sorry Frank, "men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions" that was true when it was said hundreds of years ago and its still true.

• DJS
    DJS

HMTM,

"In the U.S. most Christians live quiet lives, go to church on Sunday, and do not force their religion on anyone. They give toward whatever charity their church is supporting."

I agree. But those same x-tians will silently or vocally support hatred and discrimination towards gays and lesbians, for example, just as they once did against blacks and the indigenous populations in this country and others. X-tians are evolving, but as I mentioned to FT, you can't hide behind your past when your past is still your present (see Rev. Graham's hate filled comments and actions towards gays in this morning's news).

Organized hatred is a religious thing, and specifically an x-tian thing. Atheists have no reason to develop an organized hatred for anyone, including the religious. Religion and belief in a hate filled death dealing god is required for organized hatred.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

DJS, The Presbyterian church in the U.S. has voted yes to gay marriages performed in church.

• Simon
    Simon

It's sad that people can't just voice their difference of opinion but feel the need to make personal attacks and vindictively try to affect other people's lives.

I've had numerous threats over the years. You learn to ignore them but there is some irony that some people are very good at painting themselves as victims of other people's bullying but are very quick to send threats of retribution if they don't get their way or their hypocrisy is pointed out.

We don't tolerate bullying here. If anyone does receive threats or attempts at intimidation then let me know. Don't, however, expect us to get involved in wars that started elsewhere where such controls are not enforced.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark
    What constitutes attempts at intimidation on here exactly? If you do not mind me asking?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit