Disco Sucks!

by professor 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

I had to clean , work, feed horses, anything he could think of to make me not have time to get my chores done in time. Like Cinderella!!!!!!!

god. i always felt that way too.

(i love this place)

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Professor-this proves it is a small world!

I loved that DJ. He was so irreverent. He made fun of everything and everybody. He was obnoxious. I was 17 when the disco demolition happened. I loved all the old songs, however, to be cool, in Chicago, you had to listen to that radio station and the DJ. FM was just getting popular and everything sounded so much better than AM. I just could not give up my Saturday Night Fever album tho. I still watch that movie anytime it is on TNT. John did look hot in his white polyester.

That was probably one of the best summers as a kid. I worked on Saturdays and started to get out of service. That started the downward spiral into hard rock.

I must confess, I do have every disco song I could find downloaded off the web.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummmm... yeah... I remember the disco era.

I also remember Saturday Night Fever. I took Cheryl Davis to see that movie - her parents knew which movie we went to see, too. (My first date, to - if I recall correctly - gawd was she gorgeous... and tall, too - 6'4" - blonde, green eyes.)

(Why is Disco Inferno going through my mind right now? - 24 minutes - the whole side of one album - which is in storage somewhere.)

I also wanted to learn how to 'Disco Dance' - or whatever. So I went down and signed up at one of those Fred Astaire Dance Studios that were popular and local. I told them up front that I wanted to learn Disco. Ok, they said.

So, they taught me the Fox Trot, Rhumba, Cha Cha, Waltz, East Coast Swing (or is it West Coast Swing...??), etc... but no Disco.

I even went to one of their 'competition' thingies north of here in Austin - and took First Place (now, where did I put that ribbon?) in the Cha Cha competition.

I eventually ran outta money, and quit taking the dance lessons.

Skating Parties - they had those here too. Monday evenings. I tried to make every one that I could. But I worked a late shift - Midnight to 8am - and it was really difficult to go party hearty - and then show up at work for an 8 hour stint.

And, yes... I seem to remember a bit of Disco music being played at those skating parties... it was really difficult to convince the DJ's at them to play 'Kingdom Melodies' - and even harder to 'skate' to them. <shudder>

It was even more difficult to find someone 'couple skate' with... so usually sat those out.

Ahhhh... the 'younger' years.

Regards,

Jim TX

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

AAHHHHHHH! I shudder when I remember the whole JW skating party scene. What a joke. I also remember whenever a disco song came on the radio in the car, my father would instantly change it and quote the society's law about disco....over and over. Now when the local radio station has its "disco drive at 5" I crank it all the way home from work!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I was born in '71 to a very anti-socializing mom. So I never got in on the skating parties or much of any other dub-youth association for that matter until I hit my teens and by then I wasn't part of any of the cliques so suffice it to say there was practically no parties of any kind at all.

I never did like disco. I'm a rocker through and through. My dad was country all the way so I naturally rebelled and went with the 80's rockers which he hated. Or professed to anyway. I did manage to bust him a couple of times, walking out into the garage to find he had the radio cranked up on Q106-the local rock station-and Bon Jovi at high volume. He never did explain his way out of that one.

Now I do listen to a little disco. The local top-40 station has a 12-1pm show that plays 70's and 80's songs, many disco. We turn it up at work when that show is on and have a good time listening to the disco songs. Always a little hell given when "YMCA" or "It's Raining Men" comes on. Someone always gets on the intercom to announce "Hey <so and so> they're playing your song!" And yeah, I'll turn up the car radio sometimes when a good (?) disco song comes on.

Mike of the rocker with an open mind class.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hey, JIM TX: HOORAY...A DANCER. I was teaching Disco in Ft. Lauderdale area in 1976. You probably had a contract program. Hated selling those contract programs. That's why I quit. It was such a cut-throat sales business to get customers. You're from around Austin, TX. I was living in Dallas and competed in Dallas Push dancing City and State championships in 1986-1988. Traveled a great deal to Houston to dance in Push/Whip dance championships. Are you familiar with the dance? I think there's a Whip or Swing club in Austin. It's a Texas-style Swing done mainly to Blues music. I went to the Dallas D.A.N.C.E. Championships last year as a trophy presenter; not a competitor. They aren't doing the Push or Whip too much anymore. Now it's West Coast Swing. It's okay but nothing beats the traditional sexy Push dance to a nice BBKing or Al Green song. Ah-h-h-h ye-s-s-s. If you like to dance, E-mail me. I LOVE TO TALK DANCE.

Trot

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    ....(My parents had a rule- if you don't answer at the Watchtower study- you had to find your own way home)

Now that sounds kind of cruel and unusual

-Rick

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

1. used to take my kids ice skating (while i was an elder) -- i'd figured out that kids needed something to do, or sure as hell, they'd do the exit dance.

periodically, some brainless elder in one of the surrounding congregations would kick up a fuss and their kids would be prevented from ice-skating on sunday night..

obviously, i was wrong, that's why i went "evil"" hahahahahah!!!

2. quite some time since i was a kid, so i've seen all these music trends come and go and then some more that you have not mentioned (yet)..

whatever kind of music you mention (and no matter what it's roots are), people (the market) has loved it -- that's why it has taken off and stayed around.

i was an overserious kid, and thought music started and finished with classical (so fitted in easily in dub city)... NOW -- i love all the styles of music in club dancing... go as much as i can....

and must say this... two hours of this type of dancing is more fun and uses more energy than a whole year of sitting on an increasingly wider arse at some useless meeting, whose whole point is to keep you away from knowing what fun the world can be..!!!!

are they bad places to be -- well, just want to say that one of my favourite clubs closed, because they were not selling enough alcohol... chee!! you gotta be dam fit to dance all night!!!!!!

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

....(My parents had a rule- if you don't answer at the Watchtower study- you had to find your own way home)
    chhheeee!! - i think if that had been me, i would never have answered!!!!!! LOLOLOL
  • dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Well, I was born in 1972, but my mom and dad really loved some of that 1970s disco, or at least funk -- "Car Wash", anything by AWB, or any really groovy stuff. I can't say I like everything I grew up listening to...but White Cherry (?)'s "Play that Funky Music White boy" and that one by KC and the Sunshine Band -- can't remember the name, but it goes something like, "Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight" (Is that the title, "Get down tonight"?) -- and Stayin' Alive always move me, even now.
    But I guess I really came into my own musical tastes in the mid-80s with Wang Chung, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, The Cure, LL Cool J, Madonna, New order...still dance heavy, but my music, not my parents'.
    Actually I used to DJ at the Job Corps I used to go to in the early 90s. Loved it...power hits: Madonna, Guy, Lisa Stansfield, Janet Jackson, (and yes, The Pet Shop Boys)... heh heh the best time of my life has been when I DJed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit