Disco Sucks!

by professor 46 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

Does anyone remember how the Society joined the "Disco Sucks" movement of the late 70's? I remember reading in the mags about how Disco was created by Homos and that it has an "immoral beat" (whatever that means!) It was also mentioned not to go see "Saturday Night Fever" because someone gets a blowjob in the movie.

In our congregation, we had a special meeting about disco because people would request disco songs at our once-a-month JW skating party at the local skating rink. It ended up that the skating parties, one of the only social things I was allowed to do as a kid, were cancelled. THAT really SUCKED! Some rebel bros. and sister started their own, once-a-month skating party, but most of us were not allowed to go by our parents, just in case more disco music was played.

Edited by - professor on 30 June 2002 11:4:40

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

I wasn't born till 1969 (hee hee- nice year) but I can tell you that when I was 14- they built a rollerskating rink in our town. An elder gave my sister & I a ride home from the meeting....(My parents had a rule- if you don't answer at the Watchtower study- you had to find your own way home) and we were talking about the roller rink- I mentioned the lights would be the neatest part- then got the lecture on disco- blah blah blah- and they had a talk on the new roller rink coming to town- and how people could get caught up in the lights...................OK- I am furious head to toe now thinking about that- better stop now.........

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hi Perfection, I wasn't very good at roller skating and didn't like disco, for that matter. Well, maybe KC and the Sunshine Band's "Please Don't Go".

What got me in your post was that your parents wouldn't give you a ride home if you didn't answer at the meetings. Such a loving organization. I'm getting furious, too, just thinking of that. I guess it's like conditioning a chimp with electrodes.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I was born in 1969 as well. I missed most of the disco thing but was born in time for the butt rock hair metal thing. This is one thing I'll have to agree with the WTS on, disco does indeed suck. Too bad to as my wife loves the stuff.

gsx1138

• professor
    professor
    I wasn't born till 1969
    I was born in 1969 as well.

Strange, I was also born in 1969! The disco article led me to ask mom & dad what "oral sex" was?!

Edited by - professor on 30 June 2002 11:49:57

• SYN
    SYN

The Watchtower, living up to it's motto of "If it's fun, ban it"!

• Eric
    Eric

Prof,

As music to be played over a car radio, in the home or just about anywhere other than an actual discotheque, disco sucked. Yea, verily I say unto thee, mightily did it suck. However, in a disco with proper lighting and ambience, with alchohol and psyco-active agents being shared freely throughout the crowd, disco was in it's element.

But the Awake! magazine that dealt with the subject (March 22,1979) was correct in asserting that disco music had a great deal of influence from the gay community. The quotes the Awake used to point this out were from music industry magazines of the day, and I believe them to be accurate. Where the WBTS went off the rails was to assert that this association automatically made exposure to disco music something to be avoided. Same goes for their assertion that it's even deeper roots in African tribal beats used to appease false gods or exorcise evil spirits meant that disco was a demonic influence.

They should have just stuck with telling their intended audience (JW youth) the facts: Discos are places people go in order to get aroused, amped up and meet someone and have sex with them. That would have kept them away!

Eric

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Windchaser- The "Find your own way home if you don't answer" was only ONE of my stories- how much time do you have? :-) If you raised your hand 100x's, but didnt' get called on- then you were screwed! I'm suprised more people aren't vindicitive against the witnesses. I mean, all we do is say bad things about them- that is it- if any ONE of these things happened to other people, they'd go postal! I have plenty of reason & "right" and I'm sure others do, too. Maybe instead of saying going "POSTAL" we shoudl start a new phrase having to do with being an exwitness :-)

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey
    Seeker - ....(My parents had a rule- if you don't answer at the Watchtower study- you had to find your own way home) .......If you raised your hand 100x's, but didnt' get called on- then you were screwed!

WTF?!? I've never heard of anything so horrendous! I'm in absolute shock over that one...

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I recommend reading "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life." Very good info on the whole DJ thing from the turn of the century to the present day, it covers disco and also hip-hop, house, garage and the newer sub-genres. Throughly interesting read.

I don't remember the whole Disco Sucks but I do remember the whole Acid House thing, you know with the smileys. I remember being told that they stood for drugs etc. I also remember the M25 London parties (raves) and how the society had loads of special needs talks about them. I think they're mentioned in the Last Night book.

Me, I go to clubs. It's not just for gays you know. I've heard the straight clubs are usually messier.

Ignored One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit