Disco Sucks!

by professor 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Wow- I can't believe people are so shocked about the getting your own ride home! That was one of my more "NORMAL" stories. It was just a for show thing- my dad was a servant- my mom was a bully- she wanted us to "LOOK GOOD" so we needed to answer- didn't matter what you did at home- but in front of the other brothers & sisters- we were to be perfect. It was really lame- cause even the watchtower conductor knew- so if he wasn't "happy with us" that day- he didnt' call on us- or if it was someone that felt bad for us- they'd call on us right away to make sure we got a ride home. Towards the end- I was like- hey- I'd rather ride home with so & so- we'd stop for lunch or pop, or listen to the radio, or at least have normalcy for a few minutes. I just turned the tables on them. Oh, I thiink I bought a car right away so they couldn't use that against me! LOL. Noone else has freaky witness parents like mine were? (ARE)

• LDH
    LDH

I was born in 1968....tail end of it...so I'm almost with you guys!

Yep, we had a roller skating rink in town.

REVA ROLLERDROME.

I think the owner was so nice to us because he felt sorry for us. Anytime a Michael Jackson song was played, we all cleared the floor.

Elders in our hall frequently advised him if a song shouldn't be played while we were there.

"Couples skate" could generate more gossip than a G-8 conference.

How narrowmindedly sad!

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I can't see a pair of rollerskates w/out rocking in a corner! I HATE ROLLERSKATING TO THIS DAY!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

You are all so young!

Disco hit our area hard (I was born in the 60's, just much earlier in the decade) and the roller rink was "the" place for christian association. Disco ruled and was played alot. The locals were more worried about hard rock ruining us than disco.

My one and only witness "friend", Kathy Nealy, whose father was an elder, had the Saturday Night Fever album. (This is before cassettes and CD's)

I never returned her album because we had a falling out. My mother still has it and there is a note inside that says "lent to Tina, Tina please return."

I loved disco. Anyone could dance to it. Count the beat and you could groove.

We were in the Chicago area and the DJ who started the "Disco Demolition" was very popular. He got his radio station (The Loop, FM 98) to sponsor a disco record demolition at Comisky Park during the Chicago White Sox game. They ended up with the stadium full and rabid rock and roll fans brought every disco album they could find to destroy. It was tremendous fun. I had turned to the dark side by then (rock and roll--hard and loud).

A Neksis Sports Moment
    July 12th, 1979 Disco Demolition Night

The last days of disco were fast approaching and popular Chicago DJ Steve Dahl had an idea; why not tap into all the anti-disco sentiment out there by staging a "Disco Demolition Night" at a major-league ballpark? Mike Veeck, director of promotions for the White Sox, thought it was a great plan and announced that any fan who showed up with a disco record would get into the game for 98 cents. The records would be tossed into a dumpster and destroyed between games in a doubleheader.

The White Sox, under the ownership of Bill Veeck Mikes dad had a long history of bizarre promotions, including sending a midget to the plate (he walked on four straight pitches), installing showers in the bleachers and allowing fans to make managerial decisions in one game by holding up "YES" or "NO" cards in response to questions asked by the coaching staff.

Unfortunately, this particular scheme was a little too successful; upwards of 50,000 fans showed up for the game, mostly male and mostly drunk. Another 15,000 or so milled around outside the stadium, burning effigies of John Travolta and trying to sneak into the game. The crowd spent the first game chanting "DISCO SUCKS!," whizzing records onto the field and throwing firecrackers at the opposing team.

When the records were blown up by Dahl with a fireworks bomb, the crowd went apeshit. Several thousand members of Dahls self-styled "Insane Coho Lips Antidisco Army" ran onto the diamond, ripped up the pitchers mound, started a bonfire in centre field, tore down sections of the fence in the bullpen and sprayed sections of the crowd with the hose used to dampen the field. After almost half an hour of complete chaos the riot police showed up and restored order, but the field was completely wrecked and the Sox were forced to forfeit the second game. Newspaper columnists called the event "sickening" and "an unmitigated horror."

Veeck resigned in disgrace, started drinking and didnt get another job in baseball for twenty-five years. His father sold the White Sox a short time later. Dahl, on the other hand, blamed the fiasco on insufficient security and remains an obnoxious morning-show shock jock to this day. All in all, it was the worst idea for a baseball promotion since Clevelands "10 Cent Beer Night" in 1974, which also ended in fan riots and a forfeited game.

Here are some photos:

Edited by - puffsrule on 30 June 2002 13:24:23

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

DISCO DOES NOT SUCK...I LOVE IT! And its back with a vengeance in South Florida.

I graduated high school in 1964 so that tells you where I was during the Disco days. On the dance floor. In fact, I was teaching it at a Fred Astaire dance studio at the time (wasn't a JW at the time, of course). So sorry that the rest of you who were in the Borg at the time didn't have the great time that I had. It's a great dance. (((())))

But now that you're out, try it....you'll like it. Take lessons somewhere. Of course, I'm assuming that it's popularity has returned in your area as it has in South Florida. Yes?

Trot (on a diet)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Rollerskating? UGH! The last time I had a pair on I was in my mid thirties and at skating party for my oldest daughters birthday. Why I ever put them, I'll never know. I hadn't skated in almost 20 years. I fumbled and slipped my way out onto the floor and was about to wise up and get out of there when she rolled up along side me and drug me around the floor a couple times. What a Dad will do to make a daughter happy.

Somehow, I managed to get off the floor with all my bones still intact, took those satan spawned things off and never put them back on. The rest of the party was spent enjoying watching her skate around the floor having a ball.

But, who can forget all the Disco music used in the TV show CHiPs? They actually made being a California Highway Patrol officer look glamorous.

Just think, every generation has condemned the music of the coming generation. I guess it is all just rights of passage. Once, even the Waltz was condemned by the older generation.

Lew W.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i still love disco! it makes you feel happy. you just have to stop what you're doing and dance!

rock the boat
    dancing queen
    you should be dancing
    best of my love
    boogie oogie oogie
    night fever
    in my house, etc.

(at least you got to go to skating parties:)

i think i hate the witnesses most just for depriving me of the simple pleasures in life.
    what dickweeds. i still have skates (quads) and still do go a rink sometimes with my
    son. you see people of all ages, and moms, dads, etc. it's so much fun.

• professor
    professor

Wow, puffsrule! I was staying in Chicago that summer with my Grandmother, and I remember seeing this on the news. I was like, WHAT THE....?

I love disco. Until a few years ago I was a House D.J. Pretty much the same concept. Only most of the crowd I was spinning for was on Ecstasy.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I too had the only normal activity of going to the skating rink on friday nite. I lived for that one day , Dad would try his best to screw me out of it. I had to clean , work, feed horses, anything he could think of to make me not have time to get my chores done in time. Like Cinderella!!!!!!! haha I always busted my butt so I would be able to go, even doing my little lazy ass sisters chores , because if I went my informer sister had to go. She would tell on anything out of line I did. We finally got over that when she decided to have some fun too.Haha We just made sure we were couple skating too late when dad would walk in to pick us up!!

But hey I loved disco,,,, the disco ball and all. You could really shake your boodie to that stuff.

Anything by Kc and the sunshine band. The Bee Gees, the Gap band had some good dance songs. So many more but cant recall who sang them all.

My favorite was Rod Stewart,"Do ya think I'm Sexy?" Wow , I still love that song.

My hub and I go out dancing everyweekend and the dance floor is wood , has lights flashing and making designs on the floor, and even a giant disco ball . It brings back happy memories and I am glad to be able to finish up what was finally taken away from me, my youth.

• SweatPea
    SweatPea

There was three congregations in our area. We would take donations and rent the club house at a park or someone would let us use their garage, etc. Everyone was invited so we drew a crowd. Then the bomb was dropped. YOU CAN NOT DO THE TWIST. It was considered a sexual inductive. Then there was New Light. As quick as we were told not to twist, we were told we could do the twist.

My argument was what was sexual about the twist? You were not touching each other. But on the other hand, what about slow dancing? Nothing was ever said about rubbing on each other. Fickle, fickle fickle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Sweatpea on 30 June 2002 14:50:30

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit