Another JW suicide

by Mulan 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Xandria
    Xandria

Do you think that some of the sucides could of been a cover up ? By who ? .. unless it is someone covering for someone in the Eldership. Stranger things have happened. You never know now days.

If so that is sad.

Xandria

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

FACTS ABOUT

SUICIDE

bulletIndustrialized countries tend to have a higher suicide rate than poor, developing countries
    bullet

The U.S. has a moderate suicide rate compared to other industrialized countries.

Inter-state/province comparisons:

bulletU.S. Suicide rates are highest in the western and rocky mountain states.
    bulletU.S. Suicide rates are lowest in the Northeastern states.
    bulletCanadian suicide rates are highest in British Columbia, on the west coast.
    bulletCanadian rates are lowest in Newfoundland, on the east coast.

There were 31,204 deaths by suicide recorded in 1995; 30,535 in 1997. The actual number is probably significantly higher, because many suicides are recorded as accidents.

The most common method of committing suicide (58%) involves firearms. Next were hanging and poisoning. Simply making firearms less easily accessible to a suicidal person can drastically reduce their chance of them taking their own life.

More females than males attempt suicide.

More males than females "succeed" at suicide, by a ratio of 4 to 1.

Comparison of groups within the U.S.:

bulletThe average suicide rate in the U.S. is about 12 per 100,000

1.3% of all the deaths in 1997 were by suicide. This compares to 31% from heart disease, 23 from cancer, 7% from stroke.

Whites commit suicide at a higher rate, than Afro-Americans, Asians and Hispanics.

Young Native Americans have a very high suicide rate; older Native Americans commit suicide less often than do Whites of the same age.

Married folks have a lower rate of suicide than do divorced, separated, widowed and single people.

Suicide rates increase with age:

Age Suicide rate per 100,000

10 to 14 years 1.6

15 to 19 9.5

20 to 24 13.6

Whites over 85 65

About one in three American teenagers has contemplated suicide. An Internet poll by About.com indicated that 50% of teens visiting that web site had considered it.

Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death among the entire population.

Suicide has been reported as the second leading cause of death among teenagers, exceeded only by traffic accidents. However, the suicide rate among teens is actually lower than that of older persons. Teens tend to have few life-threatening illnesses; teenage deaths from disease is quite low. Thus, the relatively few suicides among teens make suicide a leading cause of death.

The reported U.S. suicide rate for very young people (10 to 14 years of age) increased by 183% between 1970 and 1993. However, much of this increase may not be real. In the past, there was widespread denial that pre-teens could decide to end their lives

Data concerning young homosexuals is somewhat unreliable. It appears that about one in three teen aged suicides is by a gay or lesbian. Since homosexuals represent only about 5% of the population, gays and lesbians are greatly over-represented

Among the most common faith groups in the U.S., Protestants have the highest suicide rate; Roman Catholics are next; Jews have the lowest rate.

Followers of religions that strongly prohibit suicide, like Christianity and Islam, have a higher suicide rate than those religions which have no strong prohibition (e.g. Buddhism and Hinduism.)

A person has a higher risk of suicide if their parent, close relative or close friend has taken their own life.

Edited by - dungbeetle on 1 July 2002 1:33:44

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

looks like I broke the page again. SORRY!!!!

• Bleep
    Bleep

The JW population is still going up. Dont be scared of more.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

ALL population is going up.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

My oldest son attempted suicide, a serious attempt, when the sister he was going with, broken up with, went to the elders with incriminating info; he was afraid he would be disfellowshipped and could not stand the idea of being shunned.
    The elders later that year found the need (understandable) to df him for drug use (self-medication) and when i asked them to postpone it ONE WEEK so he could get counseling, they said they had no precedent.
    I begged them to call the society; the next day they said that the society felt any counselor "worth his salt" would see him day or night, so a week extension would not be given.
    The society vehemently denies that the elder called.
    It appears that the elder called the dingbat CO, claimed he called the society, the lying little weasel.
    Thought you all might like to know...

btw, in our cong, three suicides within 10 years

PS he is still out, has 4 years clean from drugs; I attend NA meetings with him still; i have 19 years clean

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Damn, Pistoff

Your experience is getting me the same.

I went to a GB member with suicidal tendencies in 1976 and got a similar display of indifference.

Love your children and teach them to disregard ANYONE who does not understand their feelings.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit