Another JW suicide

by Mulan 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have just learned that there was another JW suicide in Western Washington (South King County) last weekend. The man was a young adult, in good standing, married and doing well financially. I can't reveal more, and this one didn't hit the news either. I was asked to post this, but not reveal much detail, in deference to the survivors.

I will provide more details when given the go ahead. I am not trying to be mysterious, just going along with the wishes of the people who told me.

• outnfree
    outnfree

How very sad.

• nancee park
    nancee park

M, why such a concentration of suicides among JWs in Washington state? Next to your state it seems like California is next in having the most. Any guesses as to why?

Sorry for this tragedy. It continues.... bad fruitage of the kingdom of the "happiest people on earth" gone sour.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

So sad when anyone sees suicide as the final way out. I hate to hear of anyone feeling so desperate, JW or not.

However, In our very small community, there have been 2 tragic JW suicides by young people...one young teenage girl shot herself in the high school bathroom, due to all the pressure from dating a nonJW. Tragic. I don't think the family attends anymore. They came to their senses a little too late.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

That is terrible...my heart goes out to his family

I'm sure the JW's will say...that happens in all religions *rolls eyes

Lizard

• LB
    LB

I understand the need for privacy. I'm curious about if this poor young person was being shunned or not. So many reasons to feel hopeless at that age. Especially if that seems to be the only way out.

• Mulan
    Mulan

He wasn't being shunned. He had lots of friends and was an MS, in good standing. He hung himself at home.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear about this.

If I may address the question of suicides in Washington State - yes, it is high. Some people think that the high per capita coffee consumption here is the result of unconscious self-medication: coffee is a mood elevator. The weather here is often given a large part of the blame for the high suicide rate, and it may be that the long, grey October through May cloudy rainy season has an effect; Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

It comes down to each individual's story and what circumstances led them to conclude that they could not go on.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 27 June 2002 23:33:43

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

two things I can think of:

1) there are some serious problems in the congregations regarding the use of 'prayer' as a means to 'cure' serious chemical imbalances...(that's pretty much the Watchtower way, but some congregations are progressive and WILL try and get JW's into treatment when appropriate. These congregations try not to get caught doing this tho)

2) the suicides are the same all over, it's just that Washingtonites are more forthcoming.

The connection between the revelation of these suicides is that somebody KNEW the families, in Mulan and Makena (I think it is ) cases. The same is true of JM and the other elder and the woman and the couple and for that matter the Longos and the Bryants and the Freemans....all had contact with ex-jw's

and one more thing: none of them knew or seemed to know of the existance of JW.COM. They didn't know where to go.

THERE IS MORE WORK TO BE DONE....

• LB
    LB

Thats very sad Mulan. What a horrible thing to find when returning home. I suppose depression has to play a huge part in such an action. My best buddy shot himself last summer on my anniversery. He had terminal cancer and I honestly didn't blame him for taking that way out. Still his wife found him in the back yard.

Well after a time let us know about notes or anything else you hear and that the family is willing to share. My heart does go out to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit