Another JW suicide

by Mulan 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Solace
    Solace

People in the outside world just cant understand the huge guilt trips witnesses go through over just about anything. It is horrible. I can understand why some could get to that point if they honestly believe they are going to be destroyed in Armageddon anyway. Very sad.

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

Very sad

-Rick

• wholewheat
    wholewheat

This is very sad indeed. I have to agree with Nathan Natas regarding the amount of rain in Western Washington. It does make for extreme depression. Coffee doesn't help.

• Prisca
    Prisca

What a tragedy. My condolences to his family.

I agree with Dungbeetle. More and more dispairing jws need to know THEY ARE NOT ALONE.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    It comes down to each individual's story and what circumstances led them to conclude that they could not go on.

I think more information has to be provided before we can assume that being a JW had anything to do with this. Considering he was in 'good standing' and seemingly doing well, it must be especially devasting for his family and the community and my heart goes out to them.

Path

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Very sad and sorry to hear this.

1) there are some serious problems in the congregations regarding the use of 'prayer' as a means to 'cure' serious chemical imbalances...
    I totally believe this is still a big problem in most if not almost all congergations. At least in this country. And especially for someone in a position of "Example" The presure would have to be incredible for someone who suffers from an embalance and impossible if they need medical help and don't get it. This is so sad.
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It is possible that this young man, who had friends and a position in the congregation, may not have set out that day with the intention of killing himself.

For a discussion of Autoerotic Asphyxiation Syndrome in Adolescent and Young Adult Males, see: http://members.aol.com/bj022038/index.html

A point that Amazing and others have made repeatedly is that young JWs very often lead a "double life." In a sexually controlling and sexually repressive culture such at the WTS, young men will have secrets that they dare not reveal.

• witchywoman
    witchywoman

This is very sad. I had a jw friend that also commited suicide. I was surprised afterwards that nothing was mentioned of her, she had a manic depressive disorder. She was trying to get help for herself. An intelligent lady. The cong gossip made me sick. And it was business as usual.

What I would like to know is,can the wtbts be sued for wrongful death in the event of suicide? They are to blame in so many ways.

witchywoman

• Kjell Hedblom
    Kjell Hedblom

Terrible!! What can I say:( When will they wake up in Brooklyn and start change their rules???? Probably never I am sad to say.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    It is possible that this young man, who had friends and a position in the congregation, may not have set out that day with the intention of killing himself.

Nathan: Mulan was posting on my behalf. I learned of the suicide this week and was trying to be careful about revealing my source. On further consideration, I will clear up some questions.

The young brother left a note to his wife. There is no question of any erotic fetish on his part. Those who knew him well were completely stunned. It was expressed to me by someone close to him that "If you told me someone from the KH killed themselves, he would be the last one I would have guessed."

Of course, there must be more to this situation than is known at this time. The fact that he was so desperate as to take his own life tells us something was going on behind the scenes. I don't know if we will ever learn of it, unless his wife reveals the content of the note.

Did his being a JW contribute to what he did? I don't honestly know. It could be that the man suffered from a mental illness which he was able to conceal from friends and family - something completely unrelated to his religion. It did strike me as being part of a "series" of Northwest suicides among JW's, but unless I did a careful study of such incidents outside JW's, the numbers cannot be interpreted as meaning anything.

Only one thing stands out about this young brother: he is described by all as a "perfectionist", never turning down an assignment and taking his responsibilities as an MS very seriously.

Thanks to Mulan for posting this. I guess I'm "out" now...

Wasa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit