BUSh Declares Our RIGHTs come from GOD!

by plmkrzy 66 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

I dont know Kennison, why do we? It is okay to kill people in other countries because God is on OUR side, I know he is because our pledge says so. At least for the time being.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

The modern idea of civil rights and civil liberties in the Western world has grown out of three main schools of thought. One school of philosophers argued that people have certain rights simply because they are human beings created by God or nature. This is known as the theory of natural law. The idea of natural rights was included in the American Declaration of Independence of 1776. It states, all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights

Roger N. Baldwin

Adviser, International Affairs

American Civil Liberties Union

The declaration was addressed to the WHOLE world in language of dignity and beauty. Luckily the task of writing it fell to Thomas Jefferson, the delegate who was best fitted to perform it. He thought this was the most important thing he ever did, though he later became president of the United States.

The members of the committee who were most helpful were John Adams, and Benjamin Franklin. Franklin was one of the best writers of the time, but somebody said that he would put a joke in the Declaration if he had written it.

The first great public paper of the American Republic falls into two main parts.

One of these, which is only a paragraph, tells of the rights that belong to everybody.

The first paragraph will always be interesting to most Americans because it sums up what they believe and have tried to live up to.

It also appeals to people everywhere because it talks about ALL men, not just Americans.

Many of the ideas in it came from English writers, such as John Locke. Jefferson did not claim that he was original. He said that he was stating what ALL patriots believed, that all men are born equal.

What it means is people have the same rights if they are Americans or Europeans, or from Asia or Africa. They have them because they are all human beings.

In many times and many places people have not been treated that way.

Americans themselves have not always lived up to their beliefs. But as Abraham Lincoln said, the Declaration tells Americans what they OUGHT to do, and they must keep on trying to do it.

Dumas Malone

Author, The Story of the Declaration of Independence: Jefferson the Virginian

This is the meat and patatoes

I added caps and bold.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

tdogg,

Since the inception of the words "under God" in the Pledge in 1954, I know of no war that America has fought just because a nation does not have those words in their Pledge. Do you? So what are you really implying?

• tdogg
    tdogg

I am implying that God is with the United States of America, he sponsors our actions because this nation stands as one under God (with liberty and justice for all). Therfore ANY war we participate in is right and just because God is on our side. In fact anything we do is right and just because everyone knows that God favors America.

• tdogg
    tdogg

...and the New England Patriots. I mean look at that playoff game with the Raiders, if that wasn't Divine Providence then what is!

• LDH
    LDH

Perhaps Dubyah Bush should be more concerned about appointing people to the bench who remove the other offending word in the pledge!

"And to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands..."

Nah, the dumbasses think we live under a democracy. They don't even know we live under a republic. Those same people fighting to keep the words "Under God" in the pledge....don't even skip a beat when they describe our country as a democracy.

Now THAT'S dumber than saying we are "Under God."

Of course, the "Under God" terminology wasn't even added until the Nationalistic Paranoia of the 1950s...I say we restore the pledge to it's original terminology.

Lisa

• jst_me
    jst_me

Actually, the entire legality of the US govt's ownership of land is based on a papal bull that was issued in the same time period of the inquisition. The bull was the "doctrine of discovery", and it was basically the catholic church's seal of approval for the christian european nations of the world to invade, conquer, and christianize if possible the native inhabitents of the "new world".

The US took title of the british colony lands in north america under this god-blessed decree. This is legal way that much of indigenous lands world-wide were taken away. So, for me to hear Bush say that anyone with common sense knows that this same christian god is the one who gives and takes away ANY of my rights as a human being makes my skin crawl.

I do not have to be a god-fearing christian anglo man to be a good american. I am NONE of those things...and I would like to think that I still have as much opportunity in my own homeland as anyone else. And I do not think I should have to compromise my spirituality, my language, or my customs to do that. I would also like to think that I have a bit more common sense than George W.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit