Gay Pride Week: Who's Celebrating & How?

by Fire Dragon 53 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey dungbeetle,girl that is just gross,not to mention criminal and immoral.Is that the reason for the celebration ?...OUTLAW

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

outlaw, I do not know if you are joking.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey dungbeetle,perhaps I didn`t structure my question properly.What I mean is:Is the gay pride week in reaction to the hardships they have had to endure?...OUTLAW

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Maybe this will help:

InterPride is a not-for-profit organization (incorporated in the USA) whose membership consists of organizations in cities, towns and countries all over the globe that produce community-based Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride events. InterPride's main goals are to:

• promote Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride around the world
    • increase networking and communication among Pride groups
    • encourage diverse communities to hold Pride Events
    • act as a source of information and education

InterPride's history goes back to 1981, when a few lesbian and gay pride organizers in the United States met during a leadership conference, and realized that they could solve some of the difficult problems faced by their individual organizations by working together. By 1982, the informal working relationship was formalized, and the National Association of Lesbian and Gay Pride Coordinators was founded. Representatives from committees from 6 large US cities were at the organization's first meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, that year.

By 1987, the organization had become international with the inclusion of representatives from Canadian pride groups and underwent a name change, becoming the International Association of Lesbian and Gay Pride Coordinators, or IAL/GPC. In 1992, European and Mexican organizations participated, and IAL/GPC had become multi-continental. International participation grew significantly during the annual conference held in New York City in 1997, where attendees included representatives from Africa, South America, Australia, New Zealand, and six European countries. By 1999, as the organization's membership became more international, the organization underwent another name change, becoming InterPride - a name that is readily translated into any language.

Today, InterPride has over 120 member organizations, representing 24 countries from 6 continents, but its goals remain those defined above. InterPride accomplishes these goals through four main tools.

First, InterPride holds an annual conference of Pride coordinators/organizers. This conference, which began with the original six delegations, has now grown to the point that the 2000 conference in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, had over 180 representatives from 60 delegations based in 15 countries. Attendees meet to conduct the corporate business of InterPride, to review the state of Pride throughout the world, to select the International GLBT Pride Theme, and to share information and resources concerning operations and the logistics for the planning and production of their Pride events in their home town, city, state or country. Workshops range from the mundane (how to get permits; how to build a Rainbow Balloon Arch) to the esoteric (how to do organizational strategic planning; how to retain volunteers). The 2001 conference will be held in Auckland, New Zealand, from October 4 through 7, marking the first time the conference will be held in the Southern Hemisphere.

Second, InterPride has established 20 regions around the world, which enable Pride Coordinators to network among themselves on a more regular basis and to work to solve specific problems as they happen. Many of the regions host annual or semi-annual conferences, where business and objectives specific to the region are discussed. InterPride officers usually attend these conferences both to share and collect information from around the world. In 2001, regional conferences will have been held in 5 US-based regions, in Canada, in Europe (by EPOA, the European Pride Organizers Association), and in the South Pacific.

Third, on an as-needed basis, InterPride licenses the title "World Pride" to a specific city, usually in order to give significant and broad-based concerns increased publicity. In 1997, in response both to the Vatican's Millennium 2000 campaign and to widespread discrimination against the GLBT community in Italy, InterPride licensed the first World Pride title to Rome, Italy. This first World Pride, organized and produced by Circolo Mario Mieli in Rome with support and assistance by InterPride, took place in July 2000, and culminated in an international Pride March of over 700,000 through the streets of Rome. Following the success of that event, Israel has requested and been tentatively granted a World Pride license for 2004.

Fourth, InterPride maintains a website (www.interpride.org) that contains information about the organization, its conferences, and a "Global Pride Calendar". As of April 2001, this Calendar contains information about community-based GLBT Pride events produced by over 150 organizations in 23 countries - and the entries continue to pour in. InterPride does not require membership in the organization to list an event in this Calendar, but does extend benefits to organizations choosing to be members.

The story of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride events is a story of growth. The first Pride events were held in a handful of American cities to commemorate the rebellion of a small number of gay men and lesbians against police raids and brutality in New York City. These events attracted only a few thousand people in total. Thirty-two years later, InterPride members alone will organize events around the world that will draw a combined attendance of between 15 and 20 million. These activities will range from the mega-events in places like Sao Paolo, New York, Toronto, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sydney, and Vienna, to picnics or rallies attracting a few hundred people in Hampton Roads (Virginia), Harare (Zimbabwe), and Curitiba (Brazil). No matter what size an individual event is, however, together they represent the strength and commitment of people around the world who are determined to achieve, maintain, and expand the rights of GLBT people to be who they truly are. And no matter where they are, InterPride will be there to offer help.

• LB
    LB

generally heterosexuals as a class don't get beaten, raped, tortured and murdered because of their heterosexuality.
    Only in prison I guess.

I could care less about whites having pride stuff. I know that the ones that do celebrate white pride aren't exactly the types the rest of us whites are proud of.

I used to live in San Francisco. The gay pride parades are a hoot for everyone. I went to a couple of them.

Oh and as a side note, not to turn this into anything negative, but as a white guy I've been beaten for being white before. Wrong neighborhood at the wrong time. I don't hold that against the blacks though. I hold it against the idiots that jumped me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Dungbeetle,I`ve just read the info you posted .From what I can make of it ,it looks like an opportunity to network between people of like interests and problems.Sort of what like what we got here at JW.COM..Your a sweetheart..Thanks ...OUTLAW

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

from http://www.sbu.ac.uk/stafflag/pridehistory.html

The first lesbian and gay pride march in the USA took place on 28th. June, 1970 in New York City and four other cities, commemorating the Stonewall Rebellion a year earlier. In New York the march started in Waverly Place near Sheridan Square in Greenwich Village and proceeded to Central Park, with about 2000 people taking part. About 1200 people took part in the march in Los Angeles. (Stewart (1995), page 200.)

The first marches in London were organised by the Gay Liberation Front (GLF). The first ever public gay protest in Britain took place on 27th. November 1970 when approximately 80 GLF members gathered for a torchlight demonstration on Highbury Fields in what was then the working class area of Islington. " 'I went along, it was Friday night - and we were given candles and we marched around the field several times', recalls Professor Jeffrey Weeks of the South Bank University." (Northmore and Steel (1998).)

In August 1971 the GLF organised a further public event when members marched along Islington's Upper Street back to Highbury Fields. This was an exclusively GLF event but led to the first real Pride in London in 1972. A colour photograph of Simon Watney at the 1971 event is reproduced in Northmore and Steel (1998). Stewart (1995), page 200, has a description of this 1971 march ending with a rally in Trafalgar Square, protesting against the unequal age of consent for gay men (21).

The first march in London billed as Gay Pride was held on 1st. July, 1972. About 2000 lesbians and gays marched down Oxford Street to Hyde Park, (see a black and white photograph the Gay Pride week rally in Trafalgar Square in Richmond and Noguera (1979), page 164). (Jivani (1997), page 170; Miller (1995), page 390; Spencer (1995), page 369).

The 1973 London Gay Pride was organised by the Campaign for Homosexual Equality (CHE).

Subsequent annual London events were organised by an ad hoc committee.

In the early days Gay Pride was not universially appreciated by homosexuals, some of whom preferred to live the quiet life (Spencer (1995), page 371). Some of the older men calling themselves 'queer' objected to the new use of 'gay', and to the fact that their secret world was being exposed to the wider society. On an occasion when a London Gay Pride march passed the Colherne public house in Earl's Court, (see a black and white photograph in Jivani (1997), page 167), the patrons pelted the marchers with beer cans. (Healey, et al (1994), page 101).

Throughout the late 1970s and early 1980s the attendance at London Pride events rarely exceeded 1000, but by the time the festival transferred to Jubilee Gardens in 1986 the attendance had risen to about 10000.

In 1985 the number of marchers on the London Pride parade swelled to 15000 as it included contingents from mining communities returning the solidarity and support of lesbians and gay men during the 1984-5 miners' strike. A colour photograph of the 1985 London Lesbian Pride is reproduced in Northmore and Steel (1998).

By 1988, when Section 28 became law about 40000 people attended the London Pride event.

The late 1970s and 1980s saw the rise of Lesbian Strength which scheduled a separate march.

London 1990: "The 'new, high profile route through Central London' will take the annual parade from Victoria past Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall, past the Houses of Parliament, and down Kennington Road. For the first time there will be an 11 pm late licence and a fireworks display." David Strong, in Gay Times, April, 1990.

London 1991: "All records were broken once again . . . As many as 25,000 people joined the march from central London to Kennington Park, . . . and anything up to 45,000 people were estimated to have dropped in on events in the park." David Smith, in Gay Times, August, 1991.

London 1992: "The feeling was - as has been said of so many lesbian and gay events over the years - a very real sense of homecoming, a sense of belonging, a sense of discovering one's roots . . We had discovered a new dimension - beyond the notion of community. A sense of safety, a sense of being part of an unstoppable movement, part of a tribe that had been scattered but is now reunited." David Smith, in Gay Times, August, 1992.
    London 1993: "Without the organised European presence which made last year's EuroPride so special, the numbers seemed down and the mood more subdued. But - contrary to the knee-jerk assumptions of the media - this wasn't because of the threat of a serial killer." Bill Short, in Gay Times, July, 1993.
  • dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Okay, while I'm in a researching mood:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/scotts/bulgarians/rainbow-flag.html

The first Rainbow Flag was designed in 1978 by Gilbert Baker, a San Francisco artist, who created the flag in response to a local activist's call for the need of a community symbol. (This was before the pink triangle was popularly used as a symbol of pride.) Using the five-striped "Flag of the Race" as his inspiration, Baker designed a flag with eight stripes: pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. According to Baker, those colors represented, respectively: sexuality, life, healing, sun, nature, art, harmony, and spirit. Baker dyed and sewed the material for the first flag himself - in the true spirit of Betsy Ross.

Baker soon approached San Francisco's Paramount Flag Company about mass producing and selling his "gay flag". Unfortunately, Baker had hand-dyed all the colors, and since the color "hot pink" was not commercially available, mass production of his eight-striped version became impossible. The flag was thus reduced to seven stripes.

In November 1978, San Francisco's gay community was stunned when the city's first openly gay supervisor, Harvey Milk, was assassinated, Wishing to demonstrate the gay community's strength and solidarity in the aftermath of this tragedy, the 1979 Pride Parade Committee decided to use Baker's flag. The committee eliminated the indigo stripe so they could divide the colors evenly along the parade route - three colors on one side of the street and three on the other. Soon the six colors were incorporated into a six-striped version that became popularized and that, today, is recognized by the International Congress of Flag Makers.

In San Francisco, the Rainbow Flag is everywhere: it can be seen hanging from apartment windows throughout the city (most notably in the Castro district), local bars frequently display the flag, and Rainbow Flag banners are hung from lampposts on Market Street (San Francisco's main avenue) throughout Pride Month. Visiting the city, one can not help but feel a tremendous sense of pride at seeing this powerful symbol displayed so prominently.

Although the Rainbow Flag was initially used as a symbol of pride only in San Francisco, it has received increased visibility in recent years. Today, it is a frequent sight in a number of other cities as well - New York, West Hollywood, and Amsterdam, among them. Even in the Twin Cities, the flag seems to be gaining in popularity. Indeed, the Rainbow Flag reminds us that ours is a diverse community - composed of people with a variety of individual tastes of which we should all be proud.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey dungbeetle,thats a whole lot of info.Are my last two posts in better understanding of the celebration?I don`t have a whole lot of people to ask,just my buds on the board...OUTLAW

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

we should all just get naked and celebrate together!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit