Gay Pride Week: Who's Celebrating & How?

by Fire Dragon 53 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

I'm taking Lisa to pride with me. Everyone will think she is a drag queen.

Joel

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Walter:

just came back from San Francisco and only just saw this on the board.

very sorry for what you are going through. get in touch with the group from "A Common Bond" they are fabulous and I have met many of them personally and so I can tell you you that you will be very safe with them. Although they may be gay, and men, other than that they are as different from one another as apples,oranges, avacodos and grapes, and I am sure you will find several whose personalities/experiences are in step with yours.

Just as there are groups of JW, non-JW and ex-JW working together to make the world a better place for those affected by Watchtower, there are also JW, non-JW and ex-JW working together to make the world a better place for individual sexual expression. (I am a latecoming 'straight' supporter, but I am trying to make up for lost time!!)

Please get in touch with them.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I'm not. I've marched in every SF Gay Pride parade for the past 5 years (the one before that was the first one I had ever seen). And I've been on the Gay Prom receiving line for the past five years. Last year I was also in the Dyke March, which was much more fun than I expected. Naturally, the words "gay pride" make my feet hurt, so no parades for me this year. I don't even have any queer films queued up at Netflix, but that's just an oversight.

There was a monthly women-only tea-dance in SF Saturday night. I missed it because public transit across the Bay turns into a goddamn pumpkin after midnight.

Oh, wait. I got it on with a queer man this morning -- my husband -- does that count? :)

gently feral

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Joel!!!

Joel, I don't think it would work. I hardly wear any makeup at all!

Lisa

• Preston
    Preston

I just wanted to post some comments. We had our Gay pride in March and for a conservative city like Phoenix I do think this is an important event. We have a Gay mayor in Tempe, a gay state representative and a gay person in the state congress (all of them republican). A lot of people think its kind of unecessary to have an event celebrating gay pride, just like it would be unecessary having an event celebrating heterosexuality. The gay pride parade isn't necessarily an event celebrating homosexuality as it is an event demonstrating what gays have accomplished, particularly in a society where many of us feel invisible. How would you feel if you lived in a society where you felt uncomfortable holding hands in public with your boyfriend or girlfriend, where the very acknowledgement of who you're married to or dating could lead to you being fired? How would you like them apples? A lot of people here have NO idea what gay ex-JW's have had to go through. It is a living hell being made to feel alone, neglected, dejected, particularly from your own family. A lot of you might not realize this but gay people and ex-JW's have a lot in common. This years "gay pride" theme is "For one day, feel like the majority", how often did you feel like the majority in the Borg? How much more so now? If anything, the society wouldn't care two whits if all ex-JW's disappeared from the panet, and believe me, a lot of people feel the same way about gay people. This is the one day of the year where I can feel absolutely comfortable visually acknolwedging my love for people of the same sex, where I can walk down central Phoenix without any fear of personal violence. In the years to come, the parade will progressively lose meaning as long as society as a whole continues to accept gay people as a very real, visible part of our society. But until then, "We're here, we're queer, get use to it! We're here, we left the Borg, get use to it!"

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Hi Dungbeetle,

It was so fab having you visit us this weekend. All of us LUV you! Today was as expected even busier than yesterday. We had so many ex-JWs contact us at our booth. It was also HOTTER, whew, this San Francisco guy can't handle hotter weather!

Hope your trip back was restful. Thanx for the kind words about us.

Can't wait to see you again,

John W Wirtanen

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((((((( John W and all the commonbond -ers ))))))))))))

• LB
    LB

I'm going to celebrate too. I plan on dressing up in my favorite lesbian outfit and meeting some recently single gal that want to have revenge sex.

I"ll go for the femme look, seems to attract the most I'd say.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why do Gays have Gay pride week?You never hear of hetrosexual pride week or a hetosexual parade.Seems funny to me.(LOL)I don`t get it.To all my cyber buds who are going to celebrate it,Have Fun!!..Hey Joel,it must be a blast giving out teddy bears to the kids...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 1 July 2002 0:24:13

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

generally heterosexuals as a class don't get beaten, raped, tortured and murdered because of their heterosexuality.

a good goal would be that gay pride would no longer be an issue, and it will help when gays are not beaten, raped, tortured and murdered becasue of their lifestyles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit