Why would anyone want to join jovie world?

by Doltologist 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

I can understand why someone who was born of jovie parents would want to leave jovie world. Who wouldn't?

I can see why someone who had joined jovie world would want to leave. After all, why would you want to stay in such an evil institution?

What I can't understand is, why on earth would anyone want to join jovie world in the first place given all the stories about what the evil shits do to people that leave them?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Ive never heard of jovie world
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

They don't tell you about the things they do when you join. You have to study with someone for quite a while before you get baptized. Even then I was told that only people who committ very serious sins and are who are unrepentant and refuse to stop will be disfellowshipped. This was not at all true, but I didn't find that out for years, by then I was too brainwashed to leave.

Of course when I converted it was back in 1968, there was no internet and no easyway to check things out, plus I was only 13. I was attracted to the idea of living on a restored earth. My sister who was ten years older than me converted and that is what got my parents and I interested.

I think the internet is making it very easy for people to see what they are getting into, so they are not seeing the growth like they used to.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

LisaRose

Are you still in?

Also, we now have the internet and, thank goodness, forums such as this one. Why do you think people still join jovie world?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Lack of education is the reason people join as adults in the UK and U.S. This is why my mother joined. In developing countries, poverty and lack of education. I hear JWs are having a lot of success in poor countries, the new Rice Christians. No free food yet but a land flowing with milk and honey any day .........
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Simple. They want what they're 'selling' and/or they've been guilted or frightened into joining.

Many people are not educated, particularly about the group. Many people do not go and get educated about them and what they are claiming when they are approached either.

Really, the old saying is true... "There's a sucker born every minute."

• cantleave
    cantleave

Same reason why anyone would join a cult or even vote UKIP............

Simple answers to complex questions

Psychological hot buttons being pressed

Feeling of knowing something others don't / superiority over others

Sense of belonging

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Why were people dumb enough to pay for a Pet Rock? I rest my case.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    "Jovie world" is demeaning not just to the Witnesses but to exJWs as well. They have a name.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

I prefer to call it JW religion, or JW organization. And, I still refer to "The Society" when talking to other JW's so that there's no doubt I'm referring to the HQ of JW's--most elders and rank & file now call this "The Branch."

For me the appeal was that they were under ban in the country I was living in under a dictator. Preaching work was illegal, and they were thrown in with other government undesirable religions, which were usually just called the "Protestants" (pronounced with a half raised lip as if smelling something foul).

The WT literature talked a lot about God and how He had a wonderful purpose for mankind. I was suckered in and swallowed their whole line, hook and sinker. I thought it was the Truth--I was convinced of it until tragic circumstances burst the dream bubble. Now I'm still in due to having family that is very faithful to the WT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit