OUTRAGEOUS THINGS CO/DO'S SAY

by zev 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Bhagavad
    Bhagavad

In order to not be like the bad ones myself, I'd like to mention that thru the years I was happified by the personal kindness and thoughtfulness of Art Garcia, Don Campbell, and Ron Coldiron. Also a few special elders in the congregations that were not into being lofty.

I got a kick out of one named Timothy Brooks, in his fifties, who was from North Carolina, had a great pompadour, was very tall, and had a booming voice with a North Carolina accent. When he was talking from the platform he was very captivating, and he not only sounded like and talked with a Billy Graham accent and preaching style he even LOOKED like him.

I enjoyed his talks because he seemed more like Billy Graham than JW's, who I guess I was already tiring out from. My wife, a powerful little lady in her own right, was always overpowered by his presence and felt exhausted after his talks.

• zev
    zev

we had a snow storm one year.

lots of snow, and dangerous travel.

this pretentious fool didn't cancel the meeting, and when he got on his pulpit to "preach",

he said, the meeting wasn't canceled, because jehovah didnt cancel it.

it got a few chuckles from the audiance, and one long eye roll from yours truely

i really had a problem with this mans attitude.

• LDH
    LDH

he said, the meeting wasn't canceled, because jehovah didnt cancel it.

Hell, Jehovah didn't schedule the meeting either, now, did he?

Lisa

PS One who made my teen years miserable was Ray Gwiazdowski. He and his wife Pat stayed with us every time. And because our hall shared with another cong, we had the added *privilege* of having them stay for two weeks straight.

One night my sister and I were watching SNL (Saturday Night Live). This was back in the days when houses had only one TV set, LOL, and it was a console model that sat in the center of the living room. We had the volume turned down VERY LOW. We were laughing and having fun...one of the few times. Ray came out of the guestroom (some 25 paces away) and started booming at us about how *HE* had to get up to give the talk in the morning and we were being disrespectful etcetc.

Now, that was a bunch of bullshit because us kids were on our best behavior when the CO/DO came around. HELLLLOOOO! Not only were we being super quiet, it was the last night he was to spend with us and you would've thought he was just grateful for not having to move during two weeks.

Anyhow, the next morning he apologized but the damage had been done. Even my parents were upset about the incident.

Lisa

Glad I don't share my house with COs Class

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I think my least favorite was Howard Stockham

He was a real jackass. Once, when he was training to be a CO, he and Bob Suter (the CO who was training him, a decent guy) visited my house to "help" with my "doubts" about the organization. While Suter actually made an effort to address some of the issues, Stockham just kept pressing me as to whether there was something about my conduct, some hidden sin, that was causing me to draw away from the organization. I sure he would have gotten his jollies if he had been able to haul me in front of a JC. God forbid anyone should actually have sincere doubts about the Holy Mother Organization.

Has anybody seen........

Anthony Decenti famous quote

DeCinti was, bar none, the worst CO I ever saw in 30 years in the borg. He was rude and arrogant, never had time for anyone but the prominent ones in the congregation, and every time he gave a talk, I wanted to leave the Kingdom Hall and never come back. The quote you refer to is, of course, the threat with which he ended every talk he gave, without exception: "Say, has anybody here seen brother or sister so-and-so?" The question was being asked after Armageddon, and they were talking about you, if you didn't get on the stick and do more, do more, do more. He was a jerk!
  • closer2fine
    closer2fine

Neon - I am so with you on DeCinti! UGH!

• LDH
    LDH

I third that on DiCenti.

He went with a local elder to 'reactivate' my sister, and she put a few questions to him. He rudely told her he 'wasn't there to debate whether it was the truth or not.'

LOL.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol...I am enjoying these comments.

How about the CO who visited our obviously spiritually lackluster Hall in the Southern UK in the 70's and in his closing prayer stated:

"It is astonishing to me Father Jehovah that in this congregation there are 25% of people who claim to be your servants who spend less than 5 hours per month talking about you, and 18% are inactive and who say nothing at all about you.....

I have to say in all fairness that this person was not typical of all CO's but was without doubt one of the most unpleasant men and definitely the thickest idiot I have ever met, or am likely to.....a pure waste of food.

At a 'Pioneer' lunch, I once sidled off into the kitchen to find his wife swigging with vigor from a sherry bottle. When she spotted me she quickly ceased imbibing and declared, "If, you lived with him, this is what you would be doing". I could not disagree.

HS

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

He went with a local elder to 'reactivate' my sister, and she put a few questions to him. He rudely told her he 'wasn't there to debate whether it was the truth or not.'

Of course not. He was there to tell her she'd be destroyed at Armageddon unless she got active again. If he had ever said anything like that to me (an impossibility, since he never spoke to me in the two years he was our CO), I'd have thrown him out of the house - even on my worst day of mindless borg dronehood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit