Sometimes I Am Ashamed

by Dutchie 205 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Neablis,

You wrote after agreeing that your views may change as you get a little more mature :

Perhaps Hillary. But this is what I believe now, and I will defend it.. NOW. She is free to do the same as she has been doing.

I asked why you would defend your views recognizing this fact, you then wrote :

Hillary: Why what? Why do I defend my point of view?? Umm.. why not?

I ask again, what merit is their in defending a view, in the view of thousands, that may change as you mature into an adult? Would your interests be better served in watching and listening to people like Dutchie, rather than debating with her over issues that that to your own admission may change as you grow up?

Best - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 16 June 2002 1:45:59

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

The point is Dutchie that we may never know what causes a witness to leave here. It;s likely that if a witness is here he is here because he doubts. Would he leave if he saw a witchcraft thread?? Maybe. How bout a boob thread? Possible. We'll never know though, and to blanket all "questioning witnesses" with this shocked and easily offended persona isn't exactly accurate. In my opinion hwoever, the average witness would be far more upset about a thread where people were discussing magic. See!! The Society was right after all! All apostates abandon god and become pagans. Get my point??

Perhaps Hillary. But I see many people her own age posting in that particular thread. It's possible that I will "grow up one day" to be just like them. That being the case, I decide to defend the things I believe right now, instead of sitting on my hands in meek awe of my elders, hoping and praying that I grow up to be just like them.

Edited by - Naeblis on 16 June 2002 1:46:49

Edited by - Naeblis on 16 June 2002 1:49:4

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Sorry, I used an invalid password. Dunno what happened after that.

Xander, that's crap about jw kids being the only ones who would stop off here. My sister knows I'm here and she and her hubby are DEVOUT, mindless dubbies. They have commented that I associate with apostates on the internet to my parents. I didn't tell them!! I'm sure that plenty of dubs have had a quick look see at apostate sites. It's only human.

M.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Naeblis,

Back to stage one:

I decide to defend the things I believe right now, instead of sitting on my hands in meek awe of my elders, hoping and praying that I grow up to be just like them

Uhhmm. ...Why?

HS

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

:::::::::::and to blanket all "questioning witnesses" with this shocked and easily offended persona isn't exactly accurate. In my opinion hwoever, the average witness would be far more upset about a thread where people were discussing magic.

I think you are right in that they may be upset about a lot of things we discuss. Most would leave even if what we discussed was all pure and Biblical. But really obvious 'in your face' stuff is making it doubly hard to get them to the real information they need.

Marilyn

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Dutchie,

I respect your opinion too. I guess what I'm having a hard time respecting is your willingness to judge others based on a few pictures. Honestly, where did we learn to judge others? Was it not the borg? If you see something you don't like, state your opinion without calling up people's morals. I think we all have a hard enough time defining morals within ourselves because of our background.

And as far as the subject of the lurkers goes--OF COURSE we want to help them. But if they go to a post about boobie pics, then they'll get boobs and maybe even butt pics. There are HUNDREDS of other topics they could choose to go to! As long as there are subjects like "adult, disagreement, sex," etc., there will probably be an occasional thread that will start getting "out of hand" in some people's viewpoint--because we are adults with a wide variety of senses of humor. But, the reality of the thread is Naeblis didn't hide the subject, and THOUSANDS chose to view it! Because they obviously wanted to see boobies!

I think it's great to have a forum provided by Simon to be able to express ourselves, and even get carried away at times. However, to try and bring the lurkers in on this seems to stretch it. They would be totally responsible for looking at boobs. I do think we want to help them, but I also think we shouldn't have to be afraid of what the jw's think--I thought we left fear behind us. Our wanting to help jw's who lurk shouldn't supercede our freedom of expression. If the post was that offensive, it would/should have been removed IMMEDIATELY, like others in the past.

Good night all, I'm finally heading off to bed. It was nice getting to know some of you better. I enjoy hearing others opinions, even when they are different from mine. Have a great night, and anyone is welcome to email me if they want. Love you all,

Namaste

Becky

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    I guess what I'm having a hard time respecting is your willingness to judge others based on a few pictures. Honestly, where did we learn to judge others? Was it not the borg?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I do know many people not 'borg' inclined who would find the pictures posted a little offensive as a public post, though perhaps not as a private post.

I do not think that outrage at nudity is the monopoly of adherents to the WTS way of thinking...Do you?

HS

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

HIllary. Why anything? Why do you post to me? Let's go back even further. Where's your motivation?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Neablis,

Answer mine and I will answer yours...lol

That's how these things work you know..

Where's your motivation?

Is that really your business?

HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 16 June 2002 2:5:41

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

That's the way it's going to be is it? :) Ok, why do I defend my opinion. Perhaps because noone likes to be told what they can or cannot do, even if this is a perceived "telling" Maybe because I just like to hear myself speak? Maybe because people are unable to hear someone tell them what is "right" or moral without telling that person why they are wrong. Who knows? FOr me, it's natural and instinctive to jump in and defend something that I believe, even if as you point out it may change in the future. Lots of things change in the future. My love for my wife may fade in time. Do I never marry?

It's no more my business than your question to me is yours. Sorry to be a bit rude, but as you pointed out, that's how these thigns work.

Edited by - Naeblis on 16 June 2002 2:9:3

Edited by - Naeblis on 16 June 2002 2:10:7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit