How many of you think.......

by punkofnice 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hi punkofnice.

Good OP that contains excellent questions.

My own hunch is that some GB members are in it for power (I believe money is secondary, but all their bills are paid plus green handshakes = no money troubles and a comfy life) and some are completely delusional and believe the crap that they spew forth 100%.

I believe that every governing body is a combination of the two.

The poor bastards of the rank and file ...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    I would say to myself, "This can't be right, but we have the truth"
    That's the same thing many are telling themselves if you (or even they themselves) start questioning things or expressing doubts. Holy Spirit directing imperfect men.WTF?
    Doc
  • Tazemanian-devil
    Tazemanian-devil

They may not make a personal paycheck, but they are no doubt lavished with gifts, large sums of cash, fine dining, and never have to lift a finger.

I mean, if a circuit overseer rakes in a decent amount of cash via green handshakes, what do people hand the GB members?

They never have to pay a single penny for anything in their lives. They're always with at least one sycophant who will step on their grandmother to say "no brother, let me buy that for you."

Edit: So I'd say money is definitely a factor. Plus worship and adoration. Pretty awesome gig. All you have to do is become a sociopath.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I don't think they do it for money or power.

I think they do what they do because they truly believe that CONTROL IS LOVE.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've said this before, but pretty much all of the "WTF-were-they-thinking" decisions they've made over the years are exactly the kind of doofy-ass calls that full-on True Believers would make.

Conversely, however, they must be aware of the Gibralter-sized mound of errors, flaws, and full-on gibbering weirdness that we're so well informed of.

x

Therefore, the only way to reconcile the two is to conclude that they know it's wrong, but believe it's "true" at the same time, and what's more, without suffering the overwhelming degree of cognitive dissonance that would give regular folks a complete nervous f**king breakdown if/when faced with it.

It's called "compartmentalization"; right-wing politicians are particularly good at it.

I suspect sociopathy comes into play, too.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i firmly believe the GB members really think they are the faithful and discrete slave. Gods sole channel of communication with mankind.

but i also firmly believe there is no god--so those guys are just self-deluded twats running a micro religion that is the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    We all know da troof is nothing but a real estate and publishing company that has a lot of money and constantly begs for more. What I don't understand is why the 7 old guys in Brooklyn don't have a villa on a secluded island or a penthouse apt in some prime real estate building on the Upper East Side or even out in the Hamptons. With all that money why are they living dormitory style and eating in a cafeteria for all of their lives? If I ran a company and was one of board of directors, why would I or anyone else live like someone who works in mail room would live?
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Since, as Punk admits, we have no evidence to the contrary, I will give them the benefit of any doubt and say that I see them as honest, but deluded individuals.

The more time that you spend within a closed environment , the harder it is to see outside it

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

John Aquila - "I would say to myself, 'This can't be right, but we have the truth'"

As if "The Truth" was something you could pick up and take with you...

• flipper
    flipper
    I think all of the upper echelon GB members and other power mongers who control the WT Society's goings on and finances know that it's all BS. I mean, you can see it on the smirk on Stephen Lett's face in his JW.org videos. They know they have a 136 year money maker going since 1879 and they aren't about to stop now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit