JW's and drinking

by DanTheMan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

hey xander--maybe it is a regional thing. i grew up in central MN. i remember very few weddings where there was neither a cash or open bar. at congregation gatherings there was no alcohol, but it flowed freely at private parties--if you knew the right ones to go to [ ;) ]

beck

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Most of the dubs I know are drinkers,alot are heavy drinkers,very few are none drinkers.Any dub gathering I went to always had alcohol.It was sometimes done on the sly,but the booze was still there...OUTLAW

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Hi Dan!

In our cong in Illinois, drinking was a no-no.

A young witness man (I was 14, he was 20) went to a witness function (a sock hop--honest) and got drunk. He was promply DF'd.

He may have gotten drunk because the host had one record....The Beach Boys Greatest Hits. They played it all night long. Over and Over!!

The poor guy had to sit in the front row of the KH and it took over a year for him to be reinstated.

My mother drinks at home once in a while. Or she will have a martini, once in a while.

I got drunk for the first time when my mother had a wine tasting party. I was 14. Soon after the young brother got DF'd. All the witnesses brought a bottle or two of wine and they sat around drinking and eating. I sneaked a bottle away and sat in the basement, in front of the TV, drinking red wind. Gallo.

I recall waking up, with my head on the floor and off the carpet (area rug) because when I was barfing my guts out, I did not want my mom to see I messed up her shag area rug. Cleaning it up the next morning was the worst. I did not drink wine until I was about 25....just looking at the bottles in the store made me feel ill.

Now, vodka (really good brand) or beer.

The few heavy drinkers that got DFd always got drunk in front of witnesses so they were DFd.

Seems to be regional and congregational. My mom's friends from Chicago always drank....suburbs, nothing.

• Valis
    Valis

puffs...you know how it goes....who DFs the DFers? Judicial Committee, cocktail hour, take your pick.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I got drunk the first time when I was 2. Yep,,,, sad huh,,, i have always loved beer and mom and dad left some cans half full. I think she told me they were having a party.... She found me passed out on the coffee table, with an empty beer can in my hand. She honestly said she thought I was dead and was so ashamed that she left me alone in the room, she was only 17 year old at the time. She had me at 15 and I was her firstborn.. we used to laugh about it , but it always bothered her . I got my first public drunk at my dad s office party, big party , casual most of his employees were his family and some inactive jw's ... my side of the family are big drinkers. My uncles and cousins were pouring me whiskey and coke , which i had never tried,,, didnt taste like alcohol to me. I was 17 at the time and the party was so big my parents werent watching me, soon my cousin found me laying out in the snow , and told my mom, they got me in the house and tried not to tell my elder dad. He found out and was sooo mad.. I had embarrased him,,,, everyone eles there , all the adults were just as drunk that night. But it was a total honest mistake,, I had never drank like that before and sure did not know my limits. My crazy family thought it was cute to get someone smashed out of the mind. Boy did I have to pay for that sin,, I had surgery on my feet the next day and my dad wouldnt speak to me or come see me in the hospital... It was hard for me to have his disapproval for I always prided myself on being the perfect daughter. Funny thing is , he didnt report it to the elders, like he should have, even if it was a first time , accidental thing,,, he kept it quiet. But then again I think i know why he didnt tell, the other two elders were drunk all the time, they came to our house stumbling and slurred speech all the time.. ..... Gosh talking about this is making me thirsty ... LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit