JW's and drinking

by DanTheMan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Is it just me, or is alchohol consumption at parties and vacations virtually an unwrittten rule of JW-culture?

When I was in, I did not drink, and I still don't. I often felt almost ostracized for this by my JW associates. It really irritated me. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

• Francois
    Francois

Every JW I ever knew had given up drinking. Every one of them had bought high-capacity funnels.

F

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

I think you've got a good point there.

Like you, I was never a drinker as a Witness and still am not. Just don't care for it, but I certainly don't begrudge others enjoyment of it. However, whenever we would get together with others for a camping trip or something of that type, alcohol was almost always a part of the entertainment...beer mostly or wine coolers. I can't honestly say that I ever saw anyone drinking hard liquors.

I honestly think that they drink for the same reasons that many alcoholics drink - to escape from the harsh realities of their day to day existence.

Brian

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

as a witness, i never drank, and still don't. i mean, i might have a glass occasionally with a fancy meal, or in a restaurant. but those witnesses drink a lot. my sister has two wine cabinets, one for chilled wine and one for room-temperature wine. and they are always full. we went to cost plus one time and she bought NINE bottles of wine. her husband drinks two bottles a day, seriously. she was back the following weekend, buying more wine. and he was always offering me wine, even when i told him i didn't drink. just like an alcoholic, won't take no for an answer. anyway, they had a party one night and we went to it and everybody drank, i mean i don't see that much booze at my friend's new years parties. my niece says everyone she knows drinks. she driknks two glasses of wine every night just to fall asleep. and that's with al her meds.ugh.

~~~~~~~until later..... Navigation Central

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Does the phrase "Like a fish" mean anything to you?

A few years ago, when I was still married to my wife, we went to this JW gathering in a public park about 45 miles up the road.

I would pretty much just stay in the 'background', and my wife would introduce me to her JW friends... politeness abounded there... (yeah right).

Anyway, her sister, who is on her third hubby - arrived, and they plopped down this very large ice chest.

Upon openning it, they pulled out a couple cans of beer. This ice chest only had ice and beer in it. Full to the top, I think.

Everytime they finished one can, their other hand went into the ice chest and pulled out a fresh can.

I watched them put away almost 5 or 6 cans apiece.

The ironic thing... they had to drive quite a ways to get home. They had a youngster about 6 with them. I don't think it's right fer folks to not think of the youngsters - or others on the highway - cause you know durn well that they will be really sloshed when they 'hit the road' later that night.

The other ironic thing I saw - one of the main 'elders' wuz there. Of course, they 'bribed' him by handing him a 'cold one', and he gladly looked the other way.

MAybe I'm just an ol' fuddy duddie... but I don't think that they were paying attention to their own words... something about 'moderation'?

Regards,

Jim TX

• rekless
    rekless

I drink and I drank while I was a witness, but as you said there was not a function that alcohol did not flow even at softball games for the kids...actually drinking is the only thing JWs can do so they abuse that one function.

I know my s-i-l and daughter both have a drinking problem,( from my stand point) beer, wine, mixed drinks.

A baptist friend of mine when he became a witness said, "When I was a Baptist I could smoke but not drink, now I can drink but not smoke.," and drink he did.

Most drink like a fish just like you say.

• lovsinner
    lovsinner

I am sorry, but as a witness, my ex-wife and I had many friends and we all drank. I remember many of times getting up for service still under the influence. I guess we excused it for not being able to smoke pot..lol

" Where are the bible games when you need them?

• razorMind
    razorMind

I overheard a couple of my co-workers talking about somebody when one of them said--and I quote--"He drinks like a Jehovah's Witness."

One also mentioned a pair of brothers who were book-study conductors, and would show up to conduct the book studies stone-falling-over drunk.

• RR
    RR

And do you know with whom the drinkling started with?

Edited by - RR on 14 June 2002 21:24:47

• ISP
    ISP

I used to know an elder that always stunk of booze! He always denied he had had a drink!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit