JW's and drinking

by DanTheMan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

How could anyone be a JW and NOT drink like a lizzard??? The only way the poor soles can keep any semblance of sanity!!! IME, no one really cared too much if people drank too much. Officially it's not on, but there was enough subjectivness in deciding if a person was drunk or not, to be able to turn a blind eye. If they were blind, comatose and totally smashed, they needed christian kindness - like to sleep on the floor or somthing. One of the few good sides of JWism.

Hic, hic, hic... I'm half way thru my 2nd bottle of wine now, so I'm well trained by the JW :-0)

Max

• ballistic
    ballistic

This is one of those posts where you must account for huge differences in culture. Here in Great Britain, it is much more acceptable for young people to drink copious amounts at the weekend, to go out to drinking houses "pubs" several times a week if not after work or during lunch times and to even get intoxicated "wasted" or "pissed" regularly.

I got repremanded by the elders on one occasion for having spoken out about "having managed 5 pints of export", and I am suprised I was not disfellowshipped for going to night clubs.

I still drink too much for my health to this day, but hey I gave up smoking. One thing at a time.

• gumby
    gumby

I was in and been around the Borg for 42 years... if you count my babyhood, And GENERALLY SPEAKING would have to say many more dubs DO drink than not. It is their only LEGAL escape that they have other than pills. They can't smoke bud.

With the emotional duress that comes with being a person that is to try and live according to dub theology, ......and one just can't seem to "cut" it.....drinking is a way to "deal" with it for many.

Others are doing it with opiates in the form of legal pills for pain.........ah! how many dubs just love ol' Vicodin! Or is it valium or xanex you prefer? If the dub isn't doing these things......they are on anti-depresants. Shopping is an addiction for many a twisted sisters who need to "deal" with being a sister.

My point is....yes many dubs do drink. Not all do, and not all abuse other things either Nothing is wrong with drinking, but when drinking is used to "deal" rather than to just get a good ol' buzz...just cuz you want to kick back......one needs to ask themselves....."what am I having a problem with, that I need to medicate myself just to deal with it?

Why do some have stories of boozeless congregations and others are party animals.....?.......different halls have different personalities......some are real strait and others are lienient.... Oh the joy and harmony that exist in this spiritual paradise!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Gumby on 15 June 2002 11:8:35

• Faraon
    Faraon

I like Mexican beers. They have more body. I specially like Bohemia or XX (dos equis) lagger. I don't like the regular one with the red bottle.

Usually, though, I like liquor. My favorite is called a Black Russian, which is made with kalhua (a coffee liquor) and vodka. The recipe is in the Kalhua bottle.

Cheers.

Salud.

Boy, does it feel good to say it without guilt after having a drimk!

Edited by - faraon on 15 June 2002 11:11:49

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

we're just simple beer drinkers. usually just mgd light or mich golden light. or perhaps whatever we can get in a cheapish keg :p

beck

• Quincy
    Quincy

I didnt know it was so wrong...b/c a family relative who is an Elder offered me beer once when I was at his house......something is wrong here???

• ballistic
    ballistic

Quincy, their official line is it's ok in moderation. They can disfellowship for drunkeness without repentance but have you ever woken up after half a bottle of tequila and 10 pints of guiness and not felt sorry?

• Valis
    Valis

My two favorite elders..there's a contradiction in terms,...One had a tap on the living room wall, that came from his basement fridge where he always kept a fresh keg. The other one started off each day with a beer and a piece of cake. Role models ot what?

Sincerely.

District Overbeer

• DINKY
    DINKY

Ugh! Why'd you guys have to mention Guiness Stout? I'm having horrible memories of barfing that crap up all night! The worst is when it comes out your nose!!

Yeah, our elders were all boozers. And hey, I don't care if they were or not. What bugs me is their HYPOCRISY in always putting down other people and their spirituality for being "lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." Plus, the bible says (sorry to have to use that phrase) that drunkards shouldn't be overseers. Period.

Dinky

• Sabine
    Sabine

The last congregation we attended had such a problem with under age drinking, my husband (then an elder) had to go to the legal library in downtown Seattle to research the laws on parents providing alcohol for kids in their own home, to give a special needs talk. Apparently, many jw parents thought if they let the kids drink in their own home the "kids could have fun under their supervision". I'm talking about kids as young as 14, going to a MS's house that was known to provide booze, and partying, sometimes without their parents permission. Also being so close to the Canada border, many young brothers would go there for the weekend since I think the drinking age is 18.

The last special needs talk I heard in that hall was directed to young people and their parents, it covered:

1. Oral sex is still sex.

2. Under age drinking is against Ceasar's law, not to mention gods.

3. You are not doing your kids a favor by teaching them how to lie to the elders and/or evade their questions....

Hahahaha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit