JW's and drinking

by DanTheMan 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

God made wine and beer to make man's heart glad. We should drink in moderation. But what is moderate for one person may not be moderate for another. Five or six beers hardly phase some people. You guys just sound like a buncha fundies who suffer from repression when it comes to alcohol. Stop projecting.

god made wine and beer? so god cast adam and eve out of the garden of eden to a life of suffering and sickness, etc. but he made wine and beer for them 'to make man's heart glad'?

that makes a lot of sense. so does calling a six-pack 'moderation'.... i would really like to know which people aren't fazed by drinking a six-pack of beer in one sitting. your bible says gluttony is a sin, so with your logic a person could eat a whole dozen of krispy kremes and not be guilty of gluttony, 'cause to them, that's a normal portion. a six-pack of beer is not moderation, just like 12 krispy kremes isn't.

p.s. the only place you'll find repressed fundamentalists is at your local kingdom hall..

(apologies for the large font - it's either this or teeny)

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i don't know incence, you've never drank with my brother and i--we could both polish off a six pack and i might be a little tipsy and he'd be TOTALLY unphased.

Incense_and_Peppermints

i don't know incence, you've never drank with my brother and i--we could both polish off a six pack and i might be a little tipsy and he'd be TOTALLY unphased.

really? wow. who knew?

if i drink like 1/2 a beer i get a buzz, two and i actually start to feel impaired. so i guess moderation does mean different things to different people.

anyway, my beer of choice is corona extra. nothing yummier on a hot desert day. what's your favorite?

Edited by - Incense_and_Peppermints on 15 June 2002 0:31:23

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

I fail to understand your Krispy Kremes illustration. If that's all you eat, where's the immoderation?

As to the perfect brew, there's nothin' like a Guinness stout on draught. Mmmmm.

Incense_and_Peppermints

i don't know, i can see two, maybe three krispy kremes, tops. 12 seems to be overdoing it, don'tcha think? even if that was all you ate. still seems like a lot to me.

you see, comfort posted this comment about 5 or 6 beers being 'moderate' in his estimation and that just seemed like a lot.... oh it's all relative, so it doesn't really matter. by the way, i usually prefer lighter beers over stout ones, but that guiness is pretty good. ooh i forgot about bohemia. that's really nice too. (and now i must go. i feel a sudden compelling urge to go crack one open.)

• comforter
    comforter

There are some jws who do not drink. I did not drink for about 8 years of my jw existence. I started back and do so moderately now. You are right about drinking and driving however. I do not advocate that practice. It is wrong and dangerous. It is no joke.

Comforter

• comforter
    comforter

???god made wine and beer? so god cast adam and eve out of the garden of eden to a life of suffering and sickness, etc. but he made wine and beer for them 'to make man's heart glad'????

God made wine, beer and whiskey before Adam sinned (Psalm 104:15). The Bible does not exactly say that he created whiskey, beer and wine but I think one is justified in attributing these beverages to God since he is responsible for the fermentation process.

???that makes a lot of sense. so does calling a six-pack 'moderation'.... i would really like to know which people aren't fazed by drinking a six-pack of beer in one sitting.???

Me, for one. Six 12 ounce bottles hardly phases me.

???your bible says gluttony is a sin, so with your logic a person could eat a whole dozen of krispy kremes and not be guilty of gluttony, 'cause to them, that's a normal portion. a six-pack of beer is not moderation, just like 12 krispy kremes isn't.???

I don't think eating a dozen doughnuts is gluttony. One can eat a dozen and still not be satisfied. Like some have already said. Moderation is relative to the individual.

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Hello....Am still trying to get my first post through..began several days ago with a response to the JW Illustrations, and now JWs and drinking! Goodness, I am bursting here! Have stories out the wazoo! First, as a Witness I drank, just never before a meeting...I had principles! I think most of us drank, we just considered the present company. Drink freely among reg. pubs, more freely in front of aux. pios, rarely, if ever in front of elders, and never, never in the presense of COs...wasn't that the general, unwritten rule?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The Bible does not exactly say that he created whiskey, beer and wine but I think one is justified in attributing these beverages to God since he is responsible for the fermentation process.

The Bible does not exactly say that he created viruses but I think one is justified in attributing these murderous organisms to God since he is responsible for the fermentation process that causes them to multiply and destroy their hosts.

Farkel

• Beans
    Beans

My sisters JW family are the biggest booze cans I know! I started drinking when I was 14 and it helped me leave two years later haha!!!

Beans

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit