Giving thanks in restaurants!

by Beck_Melbourne 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

orangefatcat

are you my kid?

My ex would do it in the car before we went into the restaurant.

He would also pray when we got in the car to go to an assembly/convention

I hated the showy display of some - no reason not to be discrete - God knows when you are thanking him and that is the only one who counts

• Celia
    Celia

Orangefatcat, what happened to your post on page 1 ?

There is this huge empty space at the end of the message that goes on forever... does anyone see that too ?

• Dutchie
    Dutchie
    Or did you do it discreetly with your head bowed but eyes not shut....or.....head in hand...hoping people would think u were in deep thought?

Hi Beck: Yes, the above describes me to a tee!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Amazing,

I HAVE to challenge your statement that Jesus only gve thanks before a meal twice. Being the Good Jew that he was Jesus prayed for everything he ate. He had a seperate prayer for grain products, fruit, meat, etc just as Jews today do.

I pray in public, and make the sign of the cross. I don't make a production out of it, but I don't try to hide it or apologize for it either.

• JAVA
    JAVA
    The first time God buys my meal I'll give him thanks.

Interesting comment, Ken P. When I go a restaurant this evening, I'll inform the owner I'm not going to pay, but will thank God for the food. I wonder what kind of service I'll get?

I think prayers in restaurants is a way of appearing holier than others, which makes it a turn-off for me. I'm sure some restaurant supplications are earnest, but believe most are nothing more than a phony dog and pony show.

• Jewel
    Jewel

>>>My parents never did those kinds of things but when I was in FS the leader of the group always did. It was made even worse if I was the only man in a carload of women. The thing that always irritated me about those situations is the woman, regardless of age, would look to me to be the leader of the group because I was the male. Here I am, 17, telling 45-50 women what needs to be done. I always felt sorry for them that they were so dependent on men. So my mother in law is seventh day adventice and she wants to pray everywhere and force myself or her kids to pray. Well I gave in one time and started my prayer out loud, "We thank the Goddess for all of her blessings....." Needless to say she has not asked me again.<<<

LOL! This is what I always bring up when people get all excited about prayer in schools. Yeah, I'm all for it. But which god? Or goddess? First I agree-prayer in school would be great! Would you have the kids maybe take turns? Just think, they'll get a chance to partake in Jewish prayers, Muslim prayers, Catholic prayers, protestant prayers, Hindu, Buddhist, pagan...."of course you won't mind if your kids get to particpate in a prayer to the Mother Goddess?"

So many people who want public prayer in schools seem to believe others have the right to to their own beliefs-as long as they are fundamentalist Christian...

• terafera
    terafera

Heh...we must've been a pretty weak family, we never prayed at restaurants!

On a similiar topic...it always irked me to no end, the kind of Witnesses that wanted everyone to know they were jw's.

Once, I went out with a bunch of sisters to a kareoke dance club. Everyone sipped on ice tea while a few of us rebel sisters had some real drinks. The dj was fine and kept checking me out all night.. he came up to the sister next to me and tried to get her to introduce us. "Oh we're not here to meet guys," she replied. "We are a group of Jehovah's Witnesses...we like to go out together for the fine association." The guy smiled politely and walked away.. I crawled under my table until it was time to leave. There went all chances of me having a remotely interesting night....

Can they ever just mingle as normal people? Must they always announce their Bible bouncer status??

• dmouse
    dmouse

I once went out for a restaurant meal with a bunch of deaf JWs (my wife knew sign language and was an interpreter at assemblies)

Imagine how embarassing it was for the prayer to be relayed to the table in BIG sign language! Everybody just stared at us like we were looneys!

• JAVA
    JAVA

dmouse,

How does a deaf JW listen to a prayer with their eyes closed?

• RR
    RR

I pray all the time when I eat out. Even if it's just McDonalds. If I'm with a group of brethren, we do say grace. We don't make a scene, and speak softly. If I'm with people l;ike co workers who are not Christian, I may pray to myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit