Giving thanks in restaurants!

by Beck_Melbourne 45 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Beck and all,

When I first saw the title, I was a little concerned that this may be a little derogatory towards people of faith, but on reading the posts, I see that this is a serious topic. So.....

I'm with Mulan on this. Even as earnest dubs, I didn't want my family to draw attention to itself as being sanctimonious. However when it was possible to be discreet, we did pray in restaurants (briefly) with our children. Since becoming persons enjoying freedom, we've come to understand that a believer is ALWAYS in communion with his Father and so, it's not necessary to make a show of prayer, even though we may be prayerful. Our relationship is with the Father, and so we don't have to make a show, or keep "a form of godly devotion" as the Scripture says. I'm reminded of the Pharisees who made a show of their acts of godly devotion, even "washing up to the elbows". This is not the way for Christians.

Cheers,

Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 15 June 2002 7:37:50

• chezza
    chezza

Interesting topic beck,

We used to have our eyes opened and the husband would say the prayer and we would all say amen quietly, i feeel there wasn't a need for a public display........ Occasionally we would actually pray in the car before we went in..... The classic was when i was driving and we went through drive through at Mc Donalds, everyone else in the car would bow their heads and pray and i feel so funny that i had my eyes open and head not bowed.....

• cellomould
    cellomould

Why not give thanks when it comes out the other end as well? It is part of the same wonderful process by which we obtain and use energy resources.

I certainly did this when I was a JW, for example, when I would be asked to give a substitute talk with only 20 minutes notice. I would spend the first 10 minutes sitting on the toilet with my bible and whatever book I needed. And you better believe I prayed!

I do not know what caused me to tell a friend this, but he said it was inappropriate. He even cited that 'some elder' made this point from the platform. Can you imagine that in a public talk?! 'We certainly would not want to disgrace our loving God Jehovah, who incidentally created the colon and rectum, by giving thanks while seated on the toilet.'

How ridiculous!!!

cellmould

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Prayer at a restaraunt?It all depended on where we just came from.If it was at another town or city,where my dad was giving a public talk,absolutly.In those days when you traveled to give a public talk on sunday,a family or two would come along to give you moral support.I don`t know how it is now,but thats how it was then...OUTLAW

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I guess I was what you'd call a "when in Rome" kind of restaurant praying JW!

If I was with JWs who I knew always said an obvious prayer........I'd do the same.

When I was out with my nonJW hubby or relatives.....quick-silent-no head bowing prayer for me!

Hugs,

Annie

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Sunspot,

I'm a bit like you. Whenever Neil and I or other friends are together we always say prayer before our meals. We look at it as fellowship and we are truly grateful for it. Why not pray a prayer of thanks? I don't think we make a spectacle out of it, as we try to keep the prayers short and sweet and still get the job done. But I do know it makes some of our other friends uncomfortable to do that around them. When we go to apostofests, I don't pray out loud, but do a silent one in my head. Mostly because I try hard not to shove my beliefs onto other people. I love my relationship with God and I know He loves it as well. But it's ours. Nobody else's.

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit