The Poor JW Children

by larc 65 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Lurker,

Your comments on the social life, or should I say the party life of the brothers and sisters was interesting. In my day we were a pretty sedate bunch.

After high school, I worked for a year. I was pretty frugal. While my buddys were buying nice cars, I was saving my money. I occured to me that going to college with the money I had saved would be more useful than a nice car that would rust out in a few years. I had to talk my mother into it, but I did go to college, and as they say, the rest is history.

By the way, Lurker, it will be interesting to see where those who discouraged you will be ten years from now compared to you. I guess you are the experimental group (N=1) and they are the control group (N= a whole bunch).

Quiz question: The city of Pompae (sp) was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vasuvius. When it was unearthed in recent years they found some Latin graffiti. Do you know what it said. Well, I am going to save you some time. In English, it is translated as follows, "Don't let the bastards wear you down." Don't ever forget that.

• TheHighPriest
    TheHighPriest

Hi larc,

That was an absolute ripper of a post.
    All I remember is my childhood as a JW, these were the things that bothered me. One of the first things I remember about going to meetings were mum dragging me out to the restrooms giving me an ar$efull with a pingpong racket, this was after an elder had instructed her in how to make your children sit still during meetings.

THP who was sore on that day.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Larc:

Nil illigitamatum carborundum.

Englishman

• larc
    larc

THP,

Regarding that Elder, just remember this: It takes 32 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to bitch slap some one like him.

Englishman,

Thank you for the Latin. You must have been raised Catholic.

Hi Ho Silver Awaaaaay

• Latte
    Latte

TheHighPriest

That is so sick, yet, it is what is happening all the time at the meetings. I makes me SO angry, why can't they be child friendly, it would be a very appealing thing to any newcomers if the org. were more 'in tune' with children.
    I feel for you, the ping pong bat, Outch!

I don't think that the org. will EVER change. That's why I've left, I wish that there was a middle road sometimes, but, there is not.

This is the shorten version of how I feel about the POOR JW children.
    It's such a shame for them.

Latte

• DriveslikeJehu
    DriveslikeJehu

Sorry I took so long to reply, LNM...

Otherwise you would apply Matthew 6:33 and put kingdom interests first, instead of second to your education, and rely more fully on God to provide for you.

Right now, I work at a grocery store. I can't do much better than that, you see. Why? I have no education in a trade skill. My father works in e-commerce(originally majored in engineering), and has no trade to pass down to me.
    At my current job(one of the highest-paying in town as it is), I would have to work overtime(they don't like that, and schedule you to prevent it) just to make ends meet. That's the best-case scenario. Worst is that I might have to work two jobs. Not much time left for pioneering, is there?
    However, with a college education I could get one(my kinda number) job earning more money than the grocery store while working for shorter periods of time. Regular pioneering or regular aux. pioneering would be much more feasible in that situation. And while in school working part-time, I can still aux. pioneer quite a bit.
    Another consideration is that of Bethel service. I conversed with a Bethel speaker after an assembly just after I had started college. He mentioned that there was a need for brothers with knowledge in the field of computer info systems(my planned major). IMHO, it might be nice to do that for a few years. I'm also going to attempt a temporary assignment this summer.

I know I'll have your support.<g>

P.S.- I also attend a 'country' congregation. We live on the outskirts of a large city, so we make the trip into town for 'social activities.' Oh, and I turned 21 today, so I guess I'm out of the mischevious group.lol

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Drives,

Congratulations on achieving another year and finally being able to drink legally. I would have said the dreaded Happy Birthday - but didn't want to offend you, k?

As for being out of the mischievious years - son, you ain't even started yet!

waiting

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

DLJ,

it's amusing to read your posts. You have achieved a remarkable level of delirium not often seen in a JW youth. Your parents and other superiors must allow for your unique abilities and shy away from re-directing your ambitions for whatever reasons. However, you do not yet have a grasp on the way things really are among the Wordlwide Association.

I must concur with Lurkernomore and re-state that to most JW's you have not correctly applied the counsel of the F&DS with respect to higher learning and seeking the Kingdom first. If your father does indeed have a college degree and you live at home it is hard to fathom why you have not chosen to pursue a career in the Full-Time Ministry. The end is real soon now and the most important work you can be doing is the field ministry. By stating that you will pursue the ministry after you have secured the necessary training to support yourself secularly you have betrayed your lack of confidence in Jehovah's ability to provide for your needs.

If you really have the pioneer spirit you will forsake all else and get busy along with the rest who are showing a sacrificing spirit and stop doubting Jah's power. If you want to attend college you will find a way to schedule your life so that you can do both pioneering and college at the same time. Your goal should be to gain those skills you said your father cannot pass on to you, which should be possible at a good voacational center or community college, and in not more than two years. But you should consider closely the example of those who have taken on manual cleaning jobs, which is a respectable profession often easily procured by honest and hardworking servants of God, and are pioneering at the forefront of Kingdom activity. If you put it off you may never get to enjoy the priviledge Jehovah is holding out to you now.

After having been used by the Society numerable times on Circuit Assemblies in my youth I can tell you that the only acceptable goal is to pursue Kingdom interests as Pioneer, Missionary, or Bethelite. If you are not able to pioneer you had better be supporting your parents and working to become a MS and then an Elder. Putting your trust in a college education is a direct reflection of your lack of trust in Jehovah's ability to provide your needs. If you are paying off bills for electronics and swimming pools you cannot expect God's hand to aide you unless you are pioneering.

If you have any other thought you are not being spiritual and are proving to be weak. Jehovah will discipline you by letting you wallow in materialistic misery unless you adjust your thinking and pursuits to be in line with God's Spirit Directed Organization. Never forget that the end is coming quickly and there is no time for college. Get out there and preach before it is too late!

This is the party line and is enforced by the elders in most communities around the world. The articles in the WT about college should not be taken as license to avoid the immediate need of pioneering and the wordlwide educational work. If Bethel needs computer progammers they will train them. Stop trying to direct God's hand and get busy with the work!

Sean

• trevor
    trevor

I agree with SEAKEN and his remarks to Jehu. Those that support the JW mentality should put their money where their mouths are and get out there and save the world. They will be held accountable for every life lost that could have been saved.

What use is training to learn about computers when peoples lives are in danger. After all Armageddon is closer than ever now! Get thee on thy chariot Jehu and speed to the rescue as a pioneer, as the time left is now reduced. Be at it urgently - I mean the ministry - you naughty boy!

Trevor

• siveld
    siveld

DrivesLikeJehu

Happy birthday! And i'm not being facetious. I know that it feels good to hear it said, even if you don't openly celebrate it.

You are in the prime of your life, and have a good head on your shoulders. Many 21 year olds have no plans for the future at all, and hence accomplish little in life.

Ignore the whiners who have the temerity to judge your spirituality - we know that the scriptures give them no right to do so; in fact, they are usurping the authority of Christ.

Enjoy your studies, enjoy your friends, and continue to post on this site and to read what others have to say. We are all (well mostly all) here to help one another. Cheers!

DaveDownunder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit