Trancelike Existence in Dubdom

by Imbue 44 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

Cassiline,

Thanks for the link!

I *knew* something was very fishy with Imbue’s original post. Just a bunch of gobble-dee-gook. Imbue was impressed with it, though (makes sense), and I guess she thought she’d be able to cut and paste and take credit for someone else’s (John Bradshaw’s) words. A pity.

• Imbue
    Imbue

Teejay I wasn't taking credit for anything. I said it's part of the recovery process to read and then write about many subjects and personalize it. This is not John Bradshaw's personal term it's a common term utilized by many individuals in recovery. Frankly these concept's are not just John Bradshaw's and he is not the only one to write about them. They are a part of the 12 Step program. They come form the reading in 12 step books. I think Larc would agree that one rarely teaches their own ideas.

In my field we talk about these issues so much we really don't think about crediting because no one really knows where all the terms originated from. Essentially because most of the writings are anonymous. Noone cares where they came from they just utilizes the tools available for them and work toward recovery. I can see so many on this thread aren't interested in recovery.

If we all gave credit for every term discussed we would be at it all day long. Since there isn't an original thought to be found.

I never claimed that the concept of demystification or that soulfulness leads to spirituality, was mine. No more than the concept of God or religion as an addiction. I didn't think a general term needed to be credited. It was just my reaction to the term that I wished to discuss. In how I apply it to my WT experience.

I never said these were my original ideas. This is something I wish to discuss with adults interested in recovery. Teejay: You are not interested in recover so go away!

Cassline, if you don't agree that religion can be an addiction then just don't agree. I don't care what you think. However you may have your opinion as anyone else.

Thank you all for providing such a safe place for sharing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The only good elite are dead elite!!"-Naeblis
    (Ok! He borrowed it)

• mindfield
    mindfield

Good morning starshine
    The earth says hello
    You twinkle above us
    We twinkle below
    Good morning starshine
    You lead us along
    My love and me as we sing
    Our early morning singing song....

Come on, people. Let's sing together and put this ugly situation behind us. Better yet, let's just forget it and put it deep inside us, and keep it bottled that way for a long period. Hey, that's what I do... and I turned out ok. Right? Right?

• JanH
    JanH

Great points, Imbue. The vocabulary is pretty new to me, but makes sense to understand the psychology of both the true followers and the equally deluded opponents who tend to demonize every aspect of JWdom out of proportion.

It is a truth often overlooked by outsiders that loyalists tend to over interprete 'advice' in the Watchtower. To outsiders, an article may look like advice, but insiders know that it is actually intended as an order. The WTS has learned to trust that their followers are 'mystified.'

Also, social learning inside the organization makes even the less fanatical understand that advice is really an order. The group has its own language and vocabulary. Outsiders, also some scholars who have attacked "anti-cultists" often fails to grasp this. Both JWs and the useful idiots who defend them take a hyper-literal reading of statements and articles, and argues that the followers read far too much into them. The 1975 failure a case in point. Those who have been JWs in particular understand the point. When the WTS says that 'mature Christians do' so-and-so, it is not descriptive of observed behaviour, it is an order for its followers to comply.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Imbue
    Imbue

Jan I'm so glad you picked up on that...

The conformist follows others' suggestions like orders to be obeyed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The only good elite are dead elite!!"-Naeblis
    (Ok! He borrowed it)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit