My daughter called this am/after 3yrs

by DannyBear 51 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Room 215,

*** chafing under the rigidity of JW legalism and self-righteousness are struggling to assert their right to privacy, individuality and self-determination in small individual acts of ``benign neglect'' as they grope for a personal ``comfort zone.''***

I hope this is true. Ray Franz made a valiant effort to help the GB see the need for freedom of conscience in the late 70's. Of course it was rejected, and the noose was tightened even more. For awhile there was a breath of fresh air circulating, but it was snufed.

I get the sense that active jw's today, are going through the motions just to keep the status quo. Almost like a mantra they perform the tasks, meetings, door to door, etc. Having non of the fervor the passion we had years ago. In fact 'lukewarm' is the expression that befits them now.

For all of my family still in, I hope the winds of freedom blow stronger...whatever will make their lives more fulfilling is a good thing.

Thanks for your comment.

Danny

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Marilyn,

So being a jet setter is not what one may think?

I recently turned down a promotion at work, for that very reason. The job would have required 70-80 percent travel. Aircraft seats and I just don't get along that well. I don't think the company would have paid for first class everywhere they wanted to send me.

Man I have not seen a 'hot water bottle' since my childhood...still use those thingys eh? ;)

Take care and stay warm.

Danny

• outnfree
    outnfree

DannyBear,

Having been off the board yesterday, I missed your happy news until this morning!

Like many others, I wish you a wonderfully renewed relationship with your daughter that grows ever warmer and more joyful.

outnfree

• detective
    detective

Well, I've put my conversation with my JW friend in the following thread. I'm completely at a loss. Everything I've hoped for... and I'm completely terrified. How the heck does this stuff work anyway?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=29077&site=3

Danny, you're getting you're daughter back! I can't even imagine how that must be for a parent. I hope you have lots of great stories to tell us in the future about visits and real family time together. And I hope you do tell us because, even though your daughter called just you, she'll never know how many strangers she just gave a little hope to! It's amazing, isn't it. So little, and yet so big...

• Room 215
    Room 215

Danny,

Take heart.... it IS a growing trend... how many current JWs, for example, would be willing to surrender one of his/her typical two-week vacations to attend an eight-day assembly, often sweltering in blazing heat and suffocating humidity, as were so common in the fifties and sixties?

Believe me, the Society knows this, and wouldn't even attempt it. Moreover, what does the almost one-third reduction in pioneer hour requirements, the decsion to permit older ones to count filed service time in 15-minute increments, and the lower of Bethel entrance standards to admit non-pionners suggest about the current state of rank-and-file commitment?

As the inexorable ticking of the clock tears away at the fabric their chronology, defections mount and growth slows to almost nil, the situation seems to be locked into a pattern of deterioration: from slow-no growth to retention to fighting for survival. What does else does pragmatism dictate but for them to shift as adroitly as they can toward mainstreaming?

The survival of even the stoutest skyscrapers and bridges depends on structural flexibility.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Outnfree,

Thanks for your best wishes. It's kinda like being reunited with someone once thought lost for good.

Detective,

Thanks for the link, I missed that post.

Your friend needs jw.com....does he have a computer. Print a good story similar to his and let him read it. That should get him going in the right direction. If he is like the rest of us, he will be tuning in very soon.

This takes the pressure off of you...let the board do all the heavy stuff.

It is scary.....Iam scared to...I don't wont to blow my opportunity with my daughter. I understand.

Danny

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Joy, Joy, Dannybear,

I think that when you once again meet up with your daughter, and exchange father-daughter hugs, it will all fall into place.

We have all learned so much since our own disenchantment with the ol' Tower, it's easier for us to now accept our family without rocking the boat.

I'm very happy for you Dannybear, and please keep us posted as to how your reunion is going.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Danny,

I haven't read this thread - except for your first 2 posts - WoooooooooHooooooooooo!!!!!!

My daughter is not acting like a typical jw, she is truly sharing her life with me, Iam getting caught up on her recent wedding pictures, travel, and I don't even believe it...a possible real live visit soon. Of course the fact that I live in an area where there are a hundere or more wineries, doesn't hurt either. ;)
    Hopefully, more jw's will start acting like her - and get to know the ones they love (and who love them) again! My son & I came to the same agreement years ago (but I was the jw) - we just renewed our friendship over lunches every two weeks for two long years. I loved him dearly - and glad he made the effort to put up with the jw way. It worked - just talked with him last night

Enjoy your daughter, her life, some wine & sunshine. Ain't life grand?

waiting

• Makena1
    Makena1

YEAHHHHHHHHH! Nice to see you posting again - and with such wonderful news! Sabine and I are very happy for you - best wishes for continued progress in renewing the bond with your daughter.

And thanks again for the positive email you sent us awhile back. We appreciated it!

Looking forward to more updates in the future.

Mak

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite--but they all worship money.
    - Mark Twain

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Zazu,

Iam looking forward to that hug. I will report on how it goes. Thanks.

Waiting,

Life is grand, no matter the struggles. I still need to learn more patience, I've always been more inclined to immediate results. Not this time.

Too much is at stake. She could tell me she wants to dye her hair purple, implant a nose ring, tatoo her forehead with a big unicorn, live in the outback, and it would be ok with me. ;)

Thanks guys.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit