New forum 'parousia' is upon us! (software version)

by Simon 75 Replies latest forum announcements

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

'So where is this promised forum parousia of his? Why from the day Simon posted this thread, all things are continuing exactly as in the days of our forefathers.'

Ye of little faith! The dates given are accurate, for these are Simon's dates, not ours. Surely we have misunderstood the meaning of the word spoken, but can have faith that the timeline is accurate. The new forum is present, as promised, it is merely an invisible presence!

• krejames
    krejames

Great work Simon! adding a massive thanks if my own to all the others here :)

• Simon
    Simon

It sounds like you've put a huge amount of time in on this project this month.

It seems more like a lifetime, LOL.

It actually started as an ASP.NET MVC + Mongo + JQuery/Knockout project but I ended up switching to Python + App Engine + Angular which is why it took a little longer than anticipated. I'm still getting back to the point it was already at in terms of features but I think it was worth switching though for the benefits it brings. No more database updates. No more server patches or upgrades. Automatic scaling and no single point of failure - all safe in a Google datacenter (and hopefully geo-located closer to most visitors).

Angharad should be able to make them from scratch. Has she forgotton how?

Life's too short to mix things when someone else is willing to do it for you and provide it in a nice convenient packet :)

They come out good and that's the main thing. I always text a picture to one of my ex-work-pals who is very jealous of them. It's become a Christmas tradition.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Simon, let me ask this (I haven't tried it yet, but it came to my mind):

Is it possible to search something like this:

"Threads where I posted + and xxxuserxxx also posted + on 2014"; or "threads that I have started + xxxuserxxx participated + keyword XYZ"

(sorry, not a programmer, but I think you understand what i mean)

Eden

• Simon
    Simon

"Threads where I posted + and xxxuserxxx also posted + on 2014"; or "threads that I have started + xxxuserxxx participated + keyword XYZ"

Most of the sorting / filtering will be a combination of who (the author), where (the subject area, when (the time period) and what (the content keywords). Having an intersection of multiple queries is possible but I don't know if it would be used enough to justify both the time to implement it and the cost to maintain it (runtime resources).

The filtering within a topic may be enough for what you are after though - once you have found topics you may be interested in you'll be able to select just the posters you want to see (I don't have the UI for that finished so don't look for it just yet).

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Surely we have misunderstood the meaning of the word spoken, but can have faith that the timeline is accurate.

"Evidently" he "inferred" it was more of a "probability" than merely a "possibility". I erred in missing Simon's more cautionary words.

I shall continue to put my faith in the timeline until new light shines more brightly...

• Terry
    Terry

I'd like to second Terry's request for the ability to subscribe to threads, and email notification of PMs would be great too.

I can't remember where I read it (maybe codinghorror) but I recall an article reasoning why email subscriptions were the best way to kill a forum / community and I tend to agree.

I'm not opposed to a digest summary but the forum is meant to be a forum and not a mailing list. I think email subs encourage the post-and-run more than a true community discussion.

Oh, I agree.

What I'm looking for is a mere notice:

"SIMON has posted on your Topic, "Werewolves in the Arctic."

A hyperlink directly to the topic speeds things considerably.

• Simon
    Simon

What I'm looking for is a mere notice :

"SIMON has posted on your Topic, "Werewolves in the Arctic."

OK, that's what I meant by 'digest' - yes, that's more likely to be implemented.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well done Simon, where would we be without you? ... I just wanted to ask about this point in your list

There are new and clearer posting rules / guidelines with the ability for anyone to flag content that violates them. Right now this feeds through to the moderators to action but the aim is to put the responsibility for moderating into the hands of the community so that unwanted content can be removed quickly to prevent it ruining people's enjoyment of the site. Content that violates the guidelines may be removed entirely or suppressed (e.g. you need to click if you want to see it).

If the "aim is to put the responsibility for moderating into the hands of the community" what is to stop an impetuous group of passionate posters turn on a post that is unpopular (might support the WTS actions, or Creationism ) but does not really violate the posting rules? At least the mods are selected & trained to be impartial. Rule by the crowd can be unjust.

Also, any chance of a spell check signal - pleeze?

• looter
    looter

Wait. so does this mean the old site will close?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit