How can I ever leave this cult?

by Julia Orwell 27 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I feel your pain Julia, I have real trust issues myself since leaving a year ago.

And dare I say it "men" issues. Which I didn't have before becoming a witness.

I do not consider myself a feminist as I quite like men, and I have always gotten along with them, better

than other women actually. But in the congregation women's opinions are neither needed nor wanted.

We are not viewed as having any value apart from homemaker or support system for the men.

At worst, the mysogynist elders viewed women as bad, mad or irrelevant.

This really eats into your self esteem, and you can start to believe it yourself.

It can really hard tapering off meds and that can affect mood as well.

Just take it day by day, that's what I am doing, waking up and leaving the truth is a big deal

it takes time for the grieving process to run it's course, give yourself time and patience and love.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Dear Julia --

It's hard to add anything as Ajax said it so well, but please be assured that you are not alone in your feelings!

Anyone, including most on this board, have gone through the feelings you described: unworthiness, trust issues, that guilt bell ringing about nearly everything, the immense shame we feel once we realized we were bamboozled by a cult, all of it. We were taught NOT to trust ourselves, that we didn't understand ANYTHING, that we were dumb sheep blindly following "the shepherd", that women are "less", that the world is crazy but we were righteous and special, and so many other stupid things.

Dear girl, don't blame yourself. Don't beat yourself up. You are in some very good and intelligent company!

And unlike on facebook and in the jdubs, normal people don't have a gazillion friends. It is a huge shift to come out of a group numbering 8 million to being just you, your family and two friends...and I say CONGRATULATIONS! That is REAL LIFE and those are REAL friendships and relationships. The relationships in the bOrg are phony ones, as evidenced by how quickly we are dropped like hot potatoes once we walk away. But YOUR life is REAL and you should be so proud of yourself for waking up.

I am proud of you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm sorry you are going through this, Julia. I'm relieved to hear you are getting medical treatment again and it's helping. I know lots of people want to go off their meds and have the same experience. It must be a tough choice to make.

I can personally relate to running into people, seeing the same streets, etc. I believe I started a thread called "geographic cure" on here that you may be able to find. It's not that I'm timid, feel guilty, etc. Not AT ALL. What I do feel is sick to my stomach when I see the places and faces related to (on a good day) the worst time in my life, or (on a bad day) the mental/physical abuse they systematically did for years and totally got away with it. It makes me relive the traumas.

I cannot believe how freeing it is to be in a totally different locale. I don't know if that's an option for you, and it isn't a substitute for healing, but it did help me. Shouldn't be necessary, but for me personally, it is. IMHO

(())

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Julia -

You have left the Cult. It takes time for the Cult to leave you.

I have been there myself, the people crossing the street to avoid me, the gossip, the informal shunning as not DF. You name it. The two year mark for me was the worst, too far gone to go back, but not knowing yet where the hell I was. Admittedly, it was made easier because I had already made friends outside.

This time of year is always difficult anyway, I am constantly frazzled. Coming off meds cold turkey is bad in itself. It does get better. Find something to do that you enjoy, that gets you out meeting people. Most humans are basically nice. The "troof" attracts all sorts of misfits and wierdos; fifteen years does damage. Try 30 as in my case!

Hang in there - the beautiful country is beyond the badlands. Every step you take gets you there.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

If you are on effexor, then the anger is the meds itself and withdrawal as well. That stuff is dangerous, it should be outlawed. It literally makes people ticking time bombs. You'd pretty much have to lock yourself home a few days or a week and not be around anybody.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Hi Julia, my heart goes out to you for the anguish which you are clearly still going through.

Some of the best words of comfort which I keep in mind, are from a church hymn which I learned in primary school, (shock, horror!) especially the refrain.

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
    When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
    Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
    And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Refrain:
    Count your blessings, name them one by one,
    Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
    Count your blessings, name them one by one,
    Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will keep singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
    Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
    Count your many blessings—money cannot buy
    Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
    Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
    Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
    Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Everyone - even atheists - can derive benefit by focussing on "Count your blessings, name them one by one" and being reminded of the loves & friendships which we have, as well as having our daily needs available to us. These things which are essential for our emotional and physical well-being are non-existent in millions/billions of people's lives.

Let your love and all the love given to you, suffocate the Org's negative thinking which you've had to endure.

I wish you a peaceful recovery from all the turmoil caused.

• Terry
    Terry

What follows is a rather colorful if not altogether disgusting analogy purposed to make a point worth, I hope, making.

If you attended a large social gathering with many of your friends and you somehow ended up crapping your underwear. . .

there may be quite a few things going through your head.

The one possible course of action you would NEVER consider taking would be to pretend it didn't happen!

Ask yourself how 'waking up' inside a cult is any different, and I believe you'll have the beginning of your answer.

It is embarrassing. It is humiliating. There are no good immediate steps which will save you distress and opprobrium.

BUT YOU'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF THE SHITTY UNDERWEAR before you do anything else!

You deal with worst things first.

GET OUT OF THERE.

Then, deal with the stink attached to yourself. (The indoctrination.)

Any other approach is simply weird and unrealistic.

Stinkin' thinkin' doesn't allow you the luxury of standing around asking people if the smell offends or if

it will go away on its own, or if you should do this or that to prepare for dealing with the situation.

I apologize for the crudity--but--WAKE UP AND SMELL THE, um uh--well, you get it!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It sounds to me like your problems do not directly have to do with the religion. I say this simply because most ex-JWs do not have this much trouble moving on. If you were never a Witness, you would not be fixated on your Witness past but on a past marriage, etc. That being said, I'm not sure it's healthy for you to keep living in the same place. Perhaps you need to move to where you don't know any JWs? I think you need to break out of the box of your old memories and start forming new ones, which may require drastic life changes.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That advice was given to me by my excellent Counsellor shortly after I left the Borg, she told me to get myself DF'd, then move right away and forget the cult.

Good advice, I could not do so, but I am sure it would have been the very best thing for me mentally, I'm sure she was right.

If that is not at all possible for you and Hubby Julia, I know you have not so long ago moved a bit away geographically from your "past", then I still advise getting Counselling, there are other ways of expunging bad experiences and influences from your past.

Good luck !

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Oh, you poor baby. I understand what you are going through, I have been on and off antidepressants for many years, it's tough. Things that helped for a while stop working, then it's worse than before you started, it really does something to you that is hard to quantify or understand or explain to others, and your history of being in a cult only complicates things. I don't think people who have never been involved can ever understand how being in a cult warps your thinking and changes you.

But it's not hopeless, things do get better with time, they really do. It all doesn't go away when you realize, on an intellectual level, that it's not the truth, it takes time for your mind to rid itself of the effects of the mind control. In your case things are complicated by your medication issues, hopefully you will feel better as you adjust back to the meds.

I take an older class of antidepressants called tricyclics, which is used for chronic pain. I want to get off of them because a) they don't help the pain that much and b)they cause weight gain and I'm sick of carrying around these extra twenty pounds. I am going very slowly, so I don't go through any issues. It may take me six months, but that's OK. I know there will be challenges, but I am determined to see it through. In your case you don't want to do that, since you just back on them, but there are also adjustments in starting meds. It's really important to follow you doctors advice and report any problems. Be patient with yourself, give the meds time to work.

I am working really hard on keeping a positive mental attitude, I know that is crucial for me. I decided that I w ould act happy, even if I didn't feel happy, I am going on the "fake it till you make it" philosophy, lol. It really works. It's not that you are not aware of your problems, it's that you make a conscious decision to be happy anyway. Studies show that smiling, even if you are not happy to begin with, can make you feel happier. I also take time to be grateful for what I do have. Gratitude is an attitude, as they say. I have this horrible medical condition that won't kill me but makes my life pretty miserable sometimes, but I also have a loving husband and a nice home and no money worries, so I am very grateful for that. It's important to put things into perspective no matter what our circumstances. We all could still be stuck in the cult, it's so great that we woke up, right?

Meditation has been very helpful for me. Fifteen minutes a day helps me be calmer, more organized, and happier. It's well worth the time spent. There are a million ways to meditate, they all work, so it's not important which way you do it, just that you do it. I like to put on soothing music, I use Pandora and created a station called "meditation by the sea". I like nature sounds, so that works for me. I consciously relax my body, close my eyes and breath in through my nose, out through my mouth. I visualize a peaceful place, like the beach, I imagine the sights, the smell of the salt air, the whoosh of the waves. As thoughts intrude I gently dismiss them and refocus on my place. It takes time to get good at it, but eventually you will be able to get into a relaxed state very quickly. The practice of meditation is transformative, you will basically be rewiring your brain. At first you will experience vivid dreams, although that goes away eventually.

I have also found journaling to be helpful. I write a page a day, just random thoughts, whatever pops into my head. Julia Cameron, in the Book The Artists Way, recommends this for anyone who wants to be creative. Getting all the junk in your head out on a page helps you clear your mind and allow the creativity to flow. Even if you are not an artist, we all need to be creative in our lives in some way. Eventually you will notice a pattern in your writing, it can help you see what has been holding you back, what things are bothering you.

I am also starting a mindfulness practice. Several times a day I stop and take in the moment instead of thinking about my chore list or my current worries. Sometimes we are so consumed with the future, o r our list of chores, or our problems in the past, that we forget to live in the now. As I write this my cat lizzie is in my arms. She likes to snuggle, so I take a few seconds and just enjoy that, the feel of her soft fur, the rumble of her purr, the tickle of her wiskers, the rasp of her tounge as she licks my cheek, her warmth. These few seconds of enjoying the moment are very healing. I try to do moments like this several times a day.

I hope you find some part of this to be helpful. I know it's hard to see it right now, but things will get better. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to vent.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit