How can I ever leave this cult?

by Julia Orwell 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've been out nearly two years but it's not out of me. I am on school holidays now til February so I thought without work to worry about I can come off my medication. I phased it slowly, starting in early November to avoid the physical side effects of coming down. Of course I experienced some, but they were not debilitating.

What was debilitating was how melted my brain became by degrees, to the point where I was edgy and even the sound of TV next door could make me mad. I couldn't face simple things like hanging out the washing and making a decision to walk this way or that. The all-too familiar feeling of mental pain I used to feel, even on a double does of antidepressants, as a Jay-bot returned when I phased off the meds. You know that feeling when your mind is screaming out in wordless pain and you just want to sleep to attain oblivion?

I so wanted to be free of the meds. I so wanted to give a huge middle finger to the cult and tell them they didn't beat me. But it's all still in my mind. No meds shatters my thoughts and scatters my moods because the cult has sucked the serotonin out of me. When I drive down certain streets I remember how I used to witness in them. My niece asks me how I know all the backstreets so well, and she's too young to understand I was in a cult so I tell her I just used to go there when I was younger. The kingdom songs pop into my head. I feel that schadenfraude JWs feel when someone they don't like 'leaves the truth' like it's some sort of demotion in life, when I think about people I used to know in the JWs and wonder if they're still in. You know, the ones you wanted to get dfd so you wouldn't have to see their bloody mugs at the meeting or pretend you like them.

And just the day before yesterday my old best friend from my cult years contacted me on Facebook. It started off friendly enough but then she went into "Are you coming back to the meetings" and "Check out JW org and JW TV it's great!" and I realised that she's not my friend, she's just doing what she thinks is her duty. It was bad timing because lately I've been thinking about how my trust in people has been completely destroyed. I have TWO friends outside family I can trust. One was my friend all through my JW years although she herself was never one. The other one is a young man I met at work this year who babysat my cat when I was on holidays. I trust him because as a gay man he too has experienced shunning from the Catholic community he grew up in. I have one marginal JW friend to whom I'm very close and I know she's loyal to her friends, most of whom aren't JWs, and she swears and watches magic movies and is pretty normal but there's always that doubt there that one day she'll dump me like all the other JWs have.

Don't get me wrong, I'm friendly and love meeting and chatting with people but I cannot form any more than a superficial bond with new people. Fifteen years of relationships gone within a month has pretty much hardened me to the point where I just have no heart to bond with people, even when they reach out to me. I've become a friendship hook-up: no strings attached friend only. My best friends are my mum, dad, brother and husband. Outside of that I can't commit.

The cult still haunts me, and coming off my meds didn't help. I've gone to the doctor and now I'm back on them and feel myself getting better. Still, I cannot go to the local major shopping centre without wondering if I will see among the thousands there a JW face. I saw the woman who brought me into the cult aka my 'study conductor' at the shops a couple of weeks ago. I pretended I didn't see her and I have no way of knowing whether she didn't see me or just pretended she didn't. She did have that constipated look of pained disapproval on her face though as she stared into the middle distance on her way to the fruit section. I think she saw me.

The other day I was at my JW friend's house. A young man who used to be in a congregation I was in came round to study with her sons. I gave him an enthusiastic greeting and had a warm chat about how he's doing and he was warm back, but my chatter masked my panic at seeing that 22 year old man in a JW- approved haircut that didn't suit him, a mismatched tie and checkered shirt that didn't fit him and the full knowledge he was there to brainwash children. He must know I'm a big apostate. He has to. His congregation is Slander Central; I know, I was in it and copped it even when I was 'in good standing'! How much more now that I've 'left the truth'! I didn't know how he'd act when he found himself face-to-face with me, even though I'm not df or da.

It call comes back. I'm damaged. I'm a survivor. My life hasn't been full of little or medium mistakes, but is overshadowed by one BIG one. I joined a cult. I thought in ways I cannot easily recover from. I'm guilty and ashamed. I left it, but it hasn't left me yet. I'm not sure it will. I'm trying to rebuild a mind shattered by a youth spent under undue influence and it's taking longer than I thought. I'm reminded of it every time I get lonely or hear their diatribe. My eyes scan passersby. I wonder if that man with the dorky haircut is a JW. All the Christmas decorations make me uncomfortable. I find myself under the weight of feelings from many years ago. I can't get the cult out of me.

• Ajax
    Ajax

JUlia -

Good to see your name -where have you been?

(Now i will read your post and likely find out)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Been here and there, trying to move on from the cult. Been on holidays, been on Facebook, been working, and been trying to sell my art. I'm on holidays now so I'll hang around here more.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm damaged. I'm a survivor - I'm damaged, too. But I'm doing my best to survive as well.

I'm guilty and ashamed - try not to let the cult make you feel this way but don't beat yourself up over this. As someone else at JWN said - you're good to go.

All the Christmas decorations make me uncomfortable - If you're big on christmas - ok. If you couldn't care less about christmas - that's ok, too.

I know it's easy for me to type this but try and own the past - keep any good memories you have and try to discard the bad ones.

Take care

LUHE

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, it's the good memories I have to come to terms with because it's so much easier to vilify the whole harmful experience than accept that it wasn't all bad. Black/white thinking is easier, but it doesn't hold true.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Hi Julia, good to hear from you. Do yourself a favor and try to seperate your meds regimen from the cult and its activities. Do not go off your meds completely. That's always a bad idea, not only for you but also for your loved ones. See your doctor and with his consent experiment by taking less, even halving the dose, until you find a middle course: minimum side-effects, maximun functionality. Unfortunately we are not be able to help those on the inside, until they decide to help themselves. Keep in mind, they believe they are God's gift to humanity, and that their ways are superior. So, in a very warped and twisted way they think they are doing good. We can only sympathize with them.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

"... they believe they are God's gift to humanity, and that their ways are superior. "

That drives me bloody nuts about them!!! I was like that too and I hate myself for it, I'm so ashamed of what they made me into.

• Ajax
    Ajax

Julia -

(((()))) hugs for you young one

You are probably the age of my grand daughters, so I am amazed at all the similarities the cult has introduced into our lives. You describe exactly how I now feel about friendships and committment, the loss of so many phony friends and the ultimate depression that confounds the lives of compassionate souls.

I am the first person in my families history to take medication for depression - also the first to join the JW cult. Cult life is built on a stress inducing bulwark of guilt, hypocrisy, inadequacy and obligations which erode away the elexir of self righteous piety that first intoxicated us. You are not alone in this, and you will be ok.

Don't fear your medications. I have taken same for 14 years because I felt exactly as you said. i tried to quit from time to time and those old headaches and brain drains returned - so I know their working, and a working well - I've had a happy productive interesting life during those years.Satans evil doctors, scientists and pharmacy industry have saved you and I and lots of our friends.

Yo've got a foundation of good friends. Oh how I wish I still had my mom and dad- they weren't cult flakes - they were rocks, real people , real lives and real stability. Like you, I still have my brother, an old chip off the old blocks. And you have a husband, so you have connections to real world and in that real world you will make some real friends

JWs can't be real friends any more than they can be real curious , or real open minded or real authentic. Everything about them is not of their own making but from having been forced into a cults mass production mold.

The sight of a freshly scrubbed and smirking Jdub gives me the same queasyness you observed. That any immature mind can be transformed into a robotic clone in 6 months is a terrifying realization.

You have a HUGE advantage in that you have not been DF or DAd. There are some freedom discussion on the board right now that might fascinate a person in your position.

We need not feel ashamed, you are not guilty of anything. A fantastic amount of effort and resources has been put into decieving people like you and I and everyone on this forum. I replaced my embarrassment with anger (not the best) and yours will be replaced with whatever the understanding folks here can draw out from within your own good heart.

You're not alone, the gals and guys on here are the pluckiest, kindest, and will look after you like a mother with new pups. When you're strong again , you can jump off the porch and fight with the big dogs!

() .... one more litlle hug.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Awwwwww thanks!!!! What a great pep-talk.

• jemba
    jemba

Hi Julia, nice to see you again.

I tried numerous times to come off the anti depressants. In the end I settled for half the dose I was on when in the cult. I think the pharmaceutical companies have to take credit for hooking me onto them in the first place. (aropax, paroxetine... once explained as not the least bit addictive, now a known addiction drug)

I am way happier now though just because Im out and like you keep my Hubby and 2 'worldly' people as my most trusted best friends.

Can you tell us what youre studying?

Enjoy the holidays mate, Ive got to work though them.

Love from Queensland.

Ps I love your writing style.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit