As a JW Did You Often Feel "Guilty" About Something?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I did feel guilty about not doing enough. However thankfully, it was that feeling during a WT study that gave me a moment of clarity and I never went back.

I never felt guilty about my personal actions. Ever.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    If Muslim is supposed to be the religion of peace, Jehovah's Witnesses has to be the religion of guilt.

Truer words were never spoken. The WTS makes it a point to always point out deficiencies in us in order to continue our dependency on them.

Classic psychology.

Remember that we could never do enough for the kingdom.

We should never pray the same thing repeatedly.

Our prayers should never be hurried.

Our way of living should always be to live a simple uncomplicated pauper life.

We should all be striving to be pioneers, to get into certain kingdom schools, etc.

Our dress and grooming should reflect we are witnesses and no part of this world.

We should never, ever, ever, ever, associate with "worldly people."

The "end" is right around the corner usually a 1-2 year outlook is given, repeatedly mind you.

The list is infinite.....

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

stillajwexelder: Ahh, I gotcha

• millie210
    millie210

I remember one moment of guilt in particular....

there was a workday at the Hall which meant that a few people would work and a ton of people would show up at lunch time with a paltry dish of something and then eat and leave.

I was one of the first ones there that morning with coffee and doughnuts. There wasnt much work for me to do since most of it was on the roof, so I left.

About an hour later two other sisters came to my house wanting to borrow some serving spoons. I was sitting out on my deck enjoying coffee.

I offered them coffee and well.....one thing led to another and none of us made it back to the Hall - neither did the serving spoons.

I remember sitting there is the sun laughing and talking and feeling like I was playing hooky from school and feeling a twinge of guilt.

Now I think of it as time well spent.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hi Minimus,

It is great to be back! I took a break for several months.

As for your question: Yes, there was that vague uneasy feeling of guilt. It is a fear-based religion with guilt hand-in-hand. I suppose the whole point was to keep you feeling that whatever you do is never enough and how you are never supposed to take for granted that you'll be "saved".

I think this is why many JWs are depressed and on medication.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit