As a JW Did You Often Feel "Guilty" About Something?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I keep hearing about "Catholic guilt" as well.

But yes, as a JW, I'd feel guilty when I "sinned". When I was a kid, if I played guns secretly with the neighbor kids (not actual guns - toys or even fingers). Guilty after some "personal time". Guilty for watching certain movies or TV show that were frowned on. Guilty for fighting with my brother.

Thought I'd die in the big A.

By the time I was in high school, guilt over those things started to fade and most of them I'd stopped doing anyway.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

An Elder once corrected me for my concluding prayer. I never prayed the same after that (made me self conscious).

• kjg132
    kjg132

Yep, I was perpetually guilty. Even as a very very young child. I remember agonizing guilt over things I didn't do. I had obsessive compulsive disorder so badly that every time I was asked a yes or no question around the age of 5, I would say the answer "yes" or "no" followed by an "I think" just to make sure I was not lying. Then my parents noticed all the "I thinks" and told me not to say "I think" anymore. So then I would just mutter it under my breath or say it quietly when they or someone else walked away, then I got to feel guilty for not listening to my parents when they had told me to stop. The list of things I felt guilty about is long and all just as silly as what I describe above. I was a nearly perfect kid too! :(

• laverite
    laverite

The strongest memories I have as a JW = constant guilt. The guilt was coupled with paranoia. What a way to live.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

My teen years were saturated in guilt. I hated it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Thankfully, not often. Though I do remember giving myself relief (if you know what I mean) once while I was aux pioneering and serving as an elder and I did feel a little guilt.

• d
    d

That I was never good enough.

• krejames
    krejames

Yep all the time for everything. Apart from the whole gay thing, there was not being spiritual enough, not going on FS enough, not doing return visits, my public prayers not sounding as impressive or being as long as other brothers', not fitting in with the spiritual superstars, despite spending hours preparing meetings, still not finishing that preparation or falling asleep in the middle of it, not being as good a ministerial servant as the others, having a few non witness friends whose company I enjoyed more than jws, oh and did I mention the gay thing? ;)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thankfully, not often. Though I do remember giving myself relief (if you know what I mean) once while I was aux pioneering and serving as an elder and I did feel a little guilt.

Once?! Is that a joke?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Once feeling guilt is not a joke. Once on the ahem -- relief is of course absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit