DINOSAURS - What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FadeToBlack - "This is what frustrated me the most: why can't we discuss the available evidence?"

Because on some level, they realize that would inevitably lead to questioning/doubting official doctrine.

• Paralipomenon
  • James Brown
    James Brown

Cambodia Dinosaur Closeup

I am just asking why is there a dinosaur in stone on the temple?

1) How are you confirming it's a dinosaur?

2) If it is, what it more likely, someone who has seen a dinosaur picture put it there for some reason OR all of biology, geology, paleontology, genetics and archeology is wrong?

It looks like a dinosaur. They did not have pictures 800 years ago.

There is a lot of evidence that man existed with dinosaurs.

They did not use the word dinosaur until recently.

They used to be called dragons for one.

It is very possible that a small part of biology is wrong and parts of all the other unscientific sciences are wrong.

The parts that are unscientific could be wrong and the parts that are scientific and follow the scientific method are right.

If you can not demonstrate it and test it it is not scientific. It is on the fringes. It is theory and ideas.

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

Paralipomenon,

Isn't that the dinosaur from the inside cover of the green bible?

Seems familiar!

HOTB

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, that change in the Enjoy Life brochure is remarkable. I would have expected to see the dinosaurs being removed from '78 to '82, not added! I'm really just amazed right now.

• Evermore
    Evermore

James Brown, Can you consider a competing story? No, they didn't have pictures 800 years ago, but they did have fossils. They had no way to understand them though. So creative minds made stories around them. Do you believe in cyclops? Do you know, if you hold a mammoth skull upright, the nasal opening looks like an eye socket, giving the impression that this is the skull of a giant one-eyed creature? There is a hyposthesis that this is where the seed of that fantastical creature starts. The same goes for dragon myths. Unearth a dino skull, fill in the blanks, and you get dragons.

I'm just suggesting that in the absence of good explanations, it might be a good thing to look at other possible explanations that are more in line with the evidence. Dinosaur fossils are never found to be contemporary with human fossils. The evidence suggests that they did not live at the same time. But the dinos did leave behind some clues.

Maybe that's not even the best explanation either, and some new knowledge will come along and new hypotheses will grow out of that. But it's always good to consider the evidence when rebuilding the story.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

There is a lot of evidence that man existed with dinosaurs.

James, I would enjoy seeing some. The WT's misrepresentation of scientific matters is what prompted me to examine radiometric dating on my own, as well as evolution and the role of fossils. The facts regarding dinosaurs and tapproximate era(s) of extinction are pretty well-substantiated. In the Wild West World of unshackled, freeflowing online material, it behooves one to be somewhat skeptical of information dramatically at odds with the consensus of credible researchers in a given field. Just sayin.

• James Brown
    James Brown

EVermore. I consider everything, and am married to nothing.

Cadelin, if you want more watch those videos by Trey Smith. He has got more.

The english have many stories about knights fighting dragons.

Dragons were dinosaurs.

I have been away from the watchtower since 83.

I just look for information where I can find it then try to filter and digest it.

I would not look to the watchtower for the answer to anyting.

If they told me the sun rose in the east and set in the west.

I would have to look out my window to check that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+dinosaurs+and+men&biw=1280&bih=855&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nG9_VJT7DoSLgwT4_YKgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ7Ak#tbm=isch&q=dinosaurs+and+human+footprints

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+dinosaurs+and+men&biw=1280&bih=855&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nG9_VJT7DoSLgwT4_YKgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ7Ak#tbm=isch&q=drawings+of+dinosaurs+by+ancient+man

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+dinosaurs+and+men&biw=1280&bih=855&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nG9_VJT7DoSLgwT4_YKgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQ7Ak#tbm=isch&q=evidence+that+man+and+dinosaurs+coexisted

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The english have many stories about knights fighting dragons.

Dragons were dinosaurs. Perhaps dragon myths originate with extant taxa, such as crocodiles, monitor lizards and pythons?

Unless you provide evidence, can you forgive us for being sceptical?

• Evermore
    Evermore

James Brown yes, there are many ancient stories of humans fighting dragons, and giant worms, and stories of sirens calling sailors to their death, stories of mermaids, and cyclops, and dwarves, fairies, elves and unicorns. And much more. Everyone of these mythical creatures can have some seed in reality. A giant worm reminds us of a snake. Dwarves, fairies, elves have human like features. Unicorns and pegasuses (that's the plural, I looked it up) look like horses.

Do you dismiss all of these other creatures as human creations where certain traits were exaggerted, or traits were combined, then mixed with some good storytelling, took on a life of their own? If you do, then why not dragons? Dragons are great. I love them. But when we transfer these creatures to reality, then we have to look at the evidence. You said you are willing to consider alternative explanations for the dragon myths. What do you think of the alternative explanations offered regarding dragons/dinos? Do you think they have some credence?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit