DINOSAURS - What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?

by Bloody Hotdogs! 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Evermore
    Evermore

Apognophos , C14 is only one method of dating, and in many ways is limited since it can only be used with accuracy to around 50,000 and 60,000 years.

There are many other forms of dating, and these can be even more informative. The jackpot is when more than one method can be used, and they agree.

Sometimes, creationists focus heavily on C14, which is ironic, since C14 doesn't necessarily even address the bigger debate. It works on things that are much younger.

There is relative dating. In other words, simply taking evidence around objects that can tell which are older etc in relation to each other. And absolute dating, which gives an actual span on the age of the object.

I will just copy a list of absolute dating methods and hope the links come through.

Dating is complex. Different situations require different methods, and each method has its limitations. It would be easy to find some weakness in one method in some situations, but when the process is taken as a whole, it serves us quite well.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you very much Evermore for that informative post, and the useful Links, and, a belated but warm welcome here !

Most JW's have no interest in accurate Science, and therefore no knowledge in these areas, all they manage to pick up as to dating methods is that there is in most a margin of error.

The fact that the margin is different in various methods, and that once re-calculation for that takes place we can be pretty close with the estimates, passes them by.

They really do not wish to even think about any of this, Dinos,Evolution, Abiogenesis, Dating, especially of early Humans, their faith is so frail they know it will fall like a House of Cards once those awkward things called Facts start to intrude into their world of make believe.

The degree of ignorance involved in such a closed-minded approach is also important.

Psychiatrist Morgan Scott Peck defined evil as "militant ignorance" and characterised it as "malignant self-righteousness".

• cantleave
    cantleave

James; are you saying Stegs lived in the 12th / 13 th Century? Because that is when the Ta Prohm temple in Cambodia was built.

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

I tracked it down...

From the brochure "Enjoy Life on Earth Forever!", 1982:

Original picture from "My Book of Bible Stories", 1978:

It would seem that they removed the woman holding a baby and added extra lightning, more people drowning, and a dinosaur or two (at least, that sure looks like a dinosaur...)!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bloody hell - I never noticed the f*cking dinosaur in the water.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

^^^^^^

Well spotted, BloodyHotdogs.

If you look closely, inbetween the mammoth and the ark there looks like a Loch Ness monster or 'Nessie' in the 78 version. This also has been removed.

T-rex or not the whole idea of a literal, biblical flood is absolutely ridiculous - I find very difficult to believe that some people still believe in it.

BTW great website, BH!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

^^^^^

Sorry, Nessie's been added to the 82 version.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

But googling mens drawings of dinosaurs led to the above link with a lot of evidence.

James, does any of that evidence come from scholarly scientific journals or universities? It has been proven, in every sense of the word, that dinosaurs died out millions of years before Homo appeared on the scene. That is to say, dinosaurs as we think of them today--massive lizard-like creatures. However, there is substantial evidence to indicate that dinosaurs' descendants are still alive and well...

Birds are the living descendants of dinosaurs

• James Brown
    James Brown

James; are you saying Stegs lived in the 12th / 13 th Century? Because that is when the Ta Prohm temple in Cambodia was built.

Cant leave.

I am just asking why is there a dinosaur in stone on the temple?

• Viviane
    Viviane

I am just asking why is there a dinosaur in stone on the temple?

1) How are you confirming it's a dinosaur?

2) If it is, what it more likely, someone who has seen a dinosaur picture put it there for some reason OR all of biology, geology, paleontology, genetics and archeology is wrong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit