Higher Education... Some ideas for those that think it is too late

by adjusted knowledge 33 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

....those WHO think it is too late.........

Went to college in my late 30s/early 40s. Spent as much time on math homework as all my other classes put together. Though I didn't finish (too many responsibilities and no support) the LEARNING was invaluable. Helped me to get a job using my brain instead of my back. Best of all, I learned how to THINK.

We autodidacts can be proud, but a little higher education is a great discipline to broaden our horizons. Highly recommended.

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

I am 63 and attending a university studying Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic and Spanish. In my state, South Carolina, tuitution is free at all state universities for those 60 and over. I believe the same is true in Georgia. I don't know about other states, but I would guess that the same is true elsewhere.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

"In my state, South Carolina, tuitution is free at all state universities for those 60 and over. I believe the same is true in Georgia. I don't know about other states, but I would guess that the same is true elsewhere."

There are several programs targeting seniors 55+. I've seen free programs at local libraries covering topics ranging from basic computer knowledge to genealogy research.

I just checked my alma mater and they too offer free classes to seniors. I didn't know that.

http://www.usfsp.edu/records/tuition-waivers-for-florida-seniors/

For those in other states try googling lifelong learning for seniors

• Fernando
    Fernando

Nelson Mandela began his highly successful 20-year career in non-violent transformation at the age of 75, and earned an honorary doctorate and Nobel prize in the process.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    "....the LEARNING was invaluable. Helped me to get a job using my brain instead of my back. Best of all, I learned how to THINK."

Very well said friend.

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Gaining knowledge, improving brain power, personal accomplishment, new horizons, making new friends and acquaintances, sharing ideas and thoughts, benefitting from other's experience, opening many more doors, when is it ever too late for any of these? Pursuing an education enhances all of these and so much more. I recommend regardless of age, it simply should not be a factor. If all goes well you will continue to age, with or without an education. In my case I could turn 45 without an education or turn 45 with an education. Either way I turned 45. Thankfully I chose to do so with an education, and I have not a single regret, quite the opposite.

• rmt1
    rmt1

NewYork44M "I finished my doctorate at 50 and am now teaching as a tenured track professor. It is NEVER too late."

An excellent data point. How long did the doctorate take? Can you trace an influence between non-academic life experience and getting tenure so quickly?

• Mum
    Mum

Great post! To those who come from an uneducated family (as I did), please be wary of so-called "career schools" and other private colleges. I have known people who "graduated" from such schools and can't get a decent job because they didn't learn the bodies of knowledge that are the basis of everything else: math, science, language and history.

Our best bet is a state university where students are required to take English, Math, Science and Humanities courses. One purpose of a good education is to become a well-rounded individual, not an "expert" in one thing without a knowledge of math, grammar, biology, psychology, world geography, etc. Education is also about enhancing one's life experience by transmitting an ability to understand and enjoy many different kinds of experience and culture.

I graduated with a bachelor's degree at age 37. I had to learn to think differently, as I was a simple country girl without any family who even graduated from high school. I am so grateful for the experience of going back to school in my 30's, when I was ready to knuckle down and learn.

I recently acquired a certificate to teach English as a Second Language. I plan to go to China next year and find a job doing just that! I am 67 years old, but still have many things on my "bucket list." I'm excited with anticipation!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

This is great information! I finished the nursing program when I was 28. But now, at the age of 50, I'm enrolled back in

college, and loving it!! It's never too late!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

rmt1: How long did the doctorate take? Can you trace an influence between non-academic life experience and getting tenure so quickly?

Good questions, pm me and I will send you my LinkedIn Profile. It took me 10 years to complete my doctorate. During the first few years of my studies I was an elder in good standing – very few people in the congregation knew I was going to school.

I took a non-traditional approach and worked full time. Most of the expenses were paid by my employer. My doctorate is in accounting and I have my CPA license. Accounting is a field where there is not much competition for those with a terminal degree, a CPA license, and an active research profile. I am a few years from tenure, but the tenure track seems fairly straightforward at my school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit