Higher Education... Some ideas for those that think it is too late

by adjusted knowledge 33 Replies latest jw friends

• fader77
    fader77

Im fortunate to be old enough (37) that I went to college at a time when the Borg was not so hard core on higher education. I received my bachelor's degree a few years ago, but I didnt use it till just recently when I made a career change from construction to a professional career. Im soooooo grateful I got an education. A year ago I started working on my masters degree, half to advance myself, and half to spite the borg. Im still attending meetings to placate my family, and was serving as an elder until just recently. I encourage every young kid in the congregation to get higher education. I love being back in college, even at 37. Its empowering, stimulating, and enjoyable. I convinced a 60 year old sister in the congregation I attend to go after her degree and she just recently told me she enrolled!!!! Its never too late to learn.

I just noticed the previous post was a CPA. So am I and my masters will be in accounting.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In the 10 years or so that I have been teaching my oldest student was in his 70s. I have a colleague who is in his 80s and is working on completing his doctoral study. The good thing is he will not have to worry about paying off his student loan.

I am a firm believer in education as a life time pursuit. So, I have no sympathy for someone telling me they are too old to go back to school.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

"I encourage every young kid in the congregation to get higher education"

With the recent special broadcast by Anthony Morris on higher education, I think there will be a bigger push back by the elders and members on the youth.  If I was stuck in the religion, which I'm not, I would easily be able to argue against his absurd points against higher education.  A lot of degrees and skills can be earned/learned online by accredited public colleges.  This would stump the bad association and moving away from parents argument. 

On another note, I was accepted into WGU's B.S. Health Informatics program with a start date 2/1.  I also applied to six colleges within an hours drive for nursing school.  Hoping to get accepted into a BSN program and start my career change end of next year. I have a B.S. in business from a traditional college, and with the other two degrees, am hoping to be employed with the VA. 

Apparently, I'm choosing a degree path acceptable to the GB, "nursing".  I'm sure they will look the other way for those that are educated when it comes to their medical treatment.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement
    Wgu is great. I am about halfway through the business management program. I highly recommend it to anyone. I am able to work full time and get my degree. It is a great value as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit