Higher Education... Some ideas for those that think it is too late

by adjusted knowledge 33 Replies latest jw friends

• likeabird
    likeabird

Never ever feel it is too late to go back to school. It's only too late when we cease to exist.

Earning a degree can be extremely empowering after all the lies we had to suck up growing up. At least for me it has been.

Access to higher education can vary greatly between countries. I was looking at coming to the States for a postgraduate degree and I was quite surprised to see that even at some of the top universities there were funding opportunities.

Also be strategic in your choice of study and don't underestimate your professional experience. This is definitely of interest to universities. At times you can even go straight from a Bachelor degree into a doctorate programme. New programmes are also being developed at excellent universities where large enterprises are sponsoring new degree courses and funding people to attend them. Even mature students.

So if you really want to get out there and give it a go, there is probably a programme out there for you. And if you need help, give a shout.

(For the UK, sites like this can be pretty useful for finding out about funding opportunities : http://www.prospects.ac.uk. If anyone knows of similar sites for the US, please share.)

• cult classic
    cult classic

Very helpful topic.

Research, research, research. And have an end game in mind.

It really is never too late to start.

And many who earned degree decades ago, come back for another round of training and education.

It's something you do for yourself.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

adjusted knowledge,

Thanks for your post. I concur with everything you said.

I first started attending brick and mortar college classes in my late 20s, while still a JW, after much agonizing over the frowned-upon message/programming I received as a virtual born-in about higher education from the organization. Got an associates in 2002 in something I had much passion for.

Now, on the cusp of a career change, I'm pursuing a new BA degree through WGU, after much research, and my experience has been excellent thus far. Being a ft student and working ft is hard work, but I keep thinking about my chance to fulfill something important to me and close to my heart and stick it to everyone who figured we'd be petting pandas by now.

If anyone here is interested in applying to WGU, feel free to PM me for a personal referral to waive the application fee ($65). Since I'm a current student and have unlimited referral power, I'll be happy to help out anyone I can save a few bucks to see if the school might be right for you. You'll have to give me your e-mail so I can send the referral to you, and as always, you can count on my confidentiality.

Phae

• Violia
    Violia

Sociology 101 helped me exit the Borg. It helped explain group think and why people believe the weird things they do. It helped me clearly see what Propaganda is. It was one of the single most helpful classes I recall taking. Thank You Sociology 101. It also explained why certain social groups are drawn to certain types of religions etc

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I firmly believe that you're never too old for an education. My mother (I guess she's more practical than dedicated to the cult) got a masters on her late 40s.

Even if you're 60 - get that degree in a field you're interested in. It'll expand who you are and help you meet new people. Never to late to expand your horizons and grow as a person.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I started a law degree at the age of 38, graduated this year at the age of 44. It was through a part time distance program. I have also done an online teaching certificate. I'm now studying a Masters.

I have recently been offered a few hours teaching law at the local college and hope to move into it full time within the next two years.

Take a look at the University of London International Programmes, it's very cheap in comparison to other schools and a world class university.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Thanks digderidioo. I took a quick look at http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/ and their diplomas for graduates look appealing to someone that has a degree. Their pricing is affordable from what I've seen.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I've been taking a bunch of the coursara classes lately. I don't pay for the certificate as I'm only taking them for entertainment.

Some are really good but with some I can't get past the accent. Not really their fault but when you can't inderstand them, what are you going to do?

With some it seems like the should have a chemistry prerequisite as the instructor is talking in terms I've never heard of before.

Overall though, with some things have really clicked and they've been really fascinating. And since they are free, if I don't like them I haven't continued the boring ones.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Anchors aweigh, say Jehovah's Witnesses and bye-bye to advanced education. (very good topic, AK)

Len Miller

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Finished my BS earlier this year. After an anxious few months, I finally found a great job and am so very glad that I decided that it wasn't too late to pursue higher "worldly" education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit