Higher Education... Some ideas for those that think it is too late

by adjusted knowledge 33 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

So many witnesses lost the opportunity to pursue higher education in their youths. Perhaps it took decades for many here to leave and now feel it is too late. The high cost and time commitment may dissuade you but I believe their are reasonable options.

I left the organization when I was 18 and ended all contact with friends of the faith at age 21. I was able to pursue a college degree the traditional brick and mortar route. The only way for me to do that now at my age would require me to step down from my position or work third shift, while raising a small child. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and thought it could apply to others. I have an advantage over those with no education above high school and this information is primary for those here in America. One of the advantages I have is not worrying about entrance exams and being able to apply to accelerated programs for those with a B.S. degree. So I wanted to provide some information to those that may be starting from scratch.

I will just offer my opinion and would like others to add their advice. It would be nice to have a topic that could help change a persons life. Firstly you need to define your reason or goal for pursuing a degree. For me it is a career change and for others it may just be simply to have a feeling of accomplishment. Regardless of your reason I want to start my conversation on warning those who are interested in applying to for profit schools. For profit schools have a horrible graduation rate and cost triple if not more than publicly funded programs. Many of those schools classes and credits will not transfer to other programs and the overall education may be lacking. I've only sampled two well know for-profit schools since my company had a contract with them that allowed me to take a few courses. I was not impressed. I also have had several employees that I managed who went to for profit schools and it ruin them financially. One example was of a single mother of the age 41 who amassed $52,000 in student loans. This was for a two year medical billing program. She found a job paying $13.25 an hour, but we were paying her $14.5. She ended up working them full-time and us part-time. Student loans are very easy to get because they are very hard to get approved in bankruptcy court.

There are pros to for profit colleges. They typically don't require entrance exams and may give you credit for what is called life learning. An example is American Public University gives credit to the military for their training. Though I have a feeling that is to attract money from the GI bill.

With that being said I have the following suggestions for those just starting off.

A lot of Ivy league schools are now offering education online for free. And to my delight are now offering verified certificates for a nominal fee.

The two I suggest are:

https://www.edx.org/

https://www.coursera.org/

If you are able to attend actual classes I highly recommend community college. I'm not sure about other states but they should be similar to Florida. In Florida the CC have an articulation agreement with the 4 year colleges. This means if you earn a AA degree the 4 year colleges have to accept you. Now they don't have to accept you into the program you may be interested in (medicine, law ect..) but they are require to admit you to the college. Community Colleges are cheap and is a good way for you to get your first two years completed. Plus there are many that now offer the entire AA degree online. When you get your diploma it is no different than someone who attended the campus. St. Pete college is one example that offers a AA degree completly online. Keep in mind that publicly funded schools will charge out of state tuition for non-residence. Look for a CC in your state.

I also like the website

www.educator.com

I've struggled with my English grammar. It has an English grammar course I like but it does cost money. I'm not paying anything since I read a thread someone started several months back on this forum that gave a code for one free year subscription.

I thought online education would be limited to a few fields. But to my surprise I came across a university that looks promising. I have not taken any classes yet so I'm not recommending it until I do at least a year. This college is not for profit and is regionally accredited. Its indiviual programs also have seperate accreditations. Regional accreditation is important. They are the same accreditation agencies for your major universities. In other words some if not most of your classes should transfer. Being this school is not for profit they don't charge an obsence amount of money. It is a flat fee for 6 months. The program I'm interested in is the Health Informatics program. The nice thing about their program is while you're completing a B.S. degree you will also earn multiple certifications from other agencies:

• CIW Web Foundations Associate
    • CompTIA Project+
    • CompTIA A+
    • CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician
    • CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Database Administration Fundamentals

Anyways the online school I'm writing about is www.wgu.edu

Western Governors University, I'm not recommending it but so far looks like one of the better ones out there. I graduated at USF and they offer a Masters in Health Informatics but the cost is $29,280. WGU will cost me $12,000. It won't be a Masters but it does come with lots of certifications and I think an internship.

I just wanted to put out there that even with a busy schedule and limited money its not too late. I'll add to this later about the process of applying for college and what you need. Also keep in mind if you are timid about passing entrance exams that the community colleges offer remedial courses. Lastly if you're low income you may qualify for a Pell Grant.

• Violia
    Violia

I got a college degree at 42.

I had to wait unitl my kids were old enough to feed themselves and all that. I stayed up late typing out papers-one of my sons says he can recall hearing that typewriter all night. I dragged myself to classes, had no life and had to spend hours getting help for algerba. I spent hours writing papers . I did it b/c it was important to me. I did not get any help from anyone or grants etc. I worked liked a crazy person alongside people half my age.

I made it.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Great subject for a thread AK.

I am currently attending a state university full-time, and being a state resident, I think the tuition is reasonable and the education I'm recieving is second to none.

I will end up with a BS and BA (double majoring) and not have one cent of debt.

Anyone who is interested in attending university, try ONE course. That's how I started.

I dragged myself to classes, had no life and had to spend hours getting help for algerba. I spent hours writing papers .

Yep. Sounds like me!

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

That's great Violia. I've seen older ones attending college more when the job market crashed. It just can be overwhelming for many.

I started a family late in life. My daughter just turned 1 and I'll be 38 in a few months. I may have more children. I'm in a good place financially but don't want to sacrifice my family time. I'm hoping the online route and an internship will be the solution for a new career.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Thanks for the info.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

@ adjusted knowledge - this is a great topic as sadly many witnesses' have been robbed of their time and opportunity for a higher education.

I'm also a college graduate pursuing further higher education. It is never too late but costs really need to be considered and planned for.

Too many for-profit colleges out there on tv-land being promoted as good choices.

To anyone looking to pursue higher education please be sure that the college you are applying at is accredited not just nationally or through the department of education but rather through the independent body of accreditation for your specific major such as for business the college or university needs to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

Great topic. I am starting at a cc in the spring. I am 43. I too have trouble with math. I have started using a free online source called khanacademy.org

It's a fantastic way to brush up on skills I have forgotten and prepping me for school.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I finished my doctorate at 50 and am now teaching as a tenured track professor. It is NEVER too late.

• Been_There_Done_That
    Been_There_Done_That

Yes, I recently finished a four year program in Business Administration. I had many late nights on the word processor.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

www.khanacademy.org is also a good one. I believe some of these non-profit schools are funded by billionaires. I did read that Bill Gates has donated money to some of these programs.

"To anyone looking to pursue higher education please be sure that the college you are applying at is accredited not just nationally or through the department of education but rather through the independent body of accreditation for your specific major such as for business the college or university needs to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)."

Very good point you made here. My business degree earned at USF is accredited by the AACSB. I noticed a lot of for profit business programs are accredited by ACBSP. It is important to look up the accreditation agency is because some colleges won't accept credit transfer from schools not accredited by the higher standard accrediting agencies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit