I tripped into a JW literature cart

by diana netherton 31 Replies latest social relationships

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I just stated that I had some different views than what the religion teaches but that I still had respect for their beliefs.

There's nothing wrong with your total politeness method of talking to them. But I could not say I had respect for their beliefs. Their beliefs cause so much pain and rob people of proper life planning. I RESPECT PEOPLE's RIGHT TO BELIEVE SUCH NONSENSE, not the beliefs themselves.

Otherwise, that was wonderful. You showed them that people can have differences and be pleasant and normal. Keep in mind that most former JW's that become "unpleasant" only do so because of the type of response they get when trying to point out their problem with the doctrines or practices. For instance- if I said "Can you explain this 'overlapping generation thing'?" in a pleasant tone, I might receive the evil eye and a cold response like "So you are an apostate!"

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

When visiting Dresden quite recently I also saw one of these charts. I took a photo of it, as well as grasping two magazines. To them it seemed to make their day... And see no need at all to be rude...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

same , I respect everyone as people, but I detest their destructive repugnent belief system and every thing it stands for.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    CrazyGuy: It would of been great if you said something to the effect that you're thinking of coming back if only someone could show you the scripture where jesus is said to do an inspection and after 4 years pick only one christian religion as is only mouthpiece.

This is a great question, but unfortunately, way over the heads of most JWs. They don't know enough about their own (WT's) theology to understand what you are talking about.

I think here on JWN, we ex-JWs often forget we know more about JW beliefs and history than JWs do...way more.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I tripped into a JW literature cart

Were you 'stumbled(tm)'?

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I would NEVER be rude to any of them! It would only make them dig in deeper, and say, Wow you can sure see that person has lost gods holy sprit, and instead, is filled with the satanic sprit!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WOW!

FOUR witnesses just standing around (counting their time) at the Literature Trolly Cart.

What an effective way to get out the URGENT, Life-Saving message of the Good News to ALL the inhabited earth.

YAWN.

Doc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you wear bright colored socks and a slim suit (tight pants) can a brother still man the cart?

• punkofnice
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I don't see any reason to be rude especially when you can talk to them about their teachings, don't miss the opportunity. However I don't respect what they believe and I could never say that to them.

A JW who knew my husband years ago started writing to me and she keeps talking about her beliefs. I told her my family have shunned me for decades and on top of that their hatred of university would prevent me returning. She says she respects my feelings and knows I respect hers. How can a person who keeps ramming their religionn down your throat in every letter be showing respect?

So I tell her how I feel about the religion. She wants to pretend my family are isolated individuals and shunning me is wrong. I can't let her sidestep the issue, my family are following the Governing Body to the letter.

As ADCMS says most JWs don't know what their religion teaches and what we say goes over their heads but occasionally a born-in like me will see the nonsense for what it is. We keep trying to help them challenge their beliefs, sometimes it's wearing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit