I tripped into a JW literature cart

by diana netherton 31 Replies latest social relationships

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I wasn't looking where I put my feet, and I almost took the cart out! Anyway, I stopped and chatted with the people for a bit. Three women and a man -- an elder and his wife. They were very pleasant and seemed to know lots of my parents' and deceased grandmother's friends from the nearby hall. I made a joke that I had wished that I had a cart like that when I was a child going from door to door with my family.

I have read posts where people are unpleasant and shout out at these JWs but I really don't see a reason to be rude. I just stated that I had some different views than what the religion teaches but that I still had respect for their beliefs. I would like to think that I gave my own "witness."

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I agree, simply being a friendly person is its own kind of anti-witness because it avoids playing into the "embittered apostate looking for followers" stereotype. It could get Witnesses thinking who would not be made to think by a confrontational ex-Witness who came over to argue doctrine with them.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I made a joke that I had wished that I had a cart like that when I was a child going from door to door with my family.

When you were a kid, diana, literature carts were wrong. Now they are right because the GB says so.

You handled the situation nicely. It's good to remember that JWs are just slaves to a system but are, for the most part, genuine people. Just uninformed and hoodwinked.

• talesin
    talesin

That's a good thing, and I'm sure left them feeling happy. There's no need to attack these folks, and act like a ranting psycho.

I don't believe in being nasty, either. My approach is different, as in my personal life I am an advocate for CSA survivors, so I usually inform them of the child rape issue.

Glad you didn't 'stumble' and hurt yourself! ;)

tal

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, I agree, being rude doesn't help anything, it just confirms their brainwashing that apostates are all evil and bitter. I have talked to many JWs that have come by my house, even when I explicitly state that I am an apostate they continue to talk with me, because I am polite. Nothing much you can say in any encounter will shake them, but if you are rude it gets their back up and causes the cult programing to kick in.

I was reading recently about the amygdala, the primitive part of the brain. This part of your brain is activated when you are in a stressful situation, and it responds much faster than the part of your brain that controls higher level functioning. If you hear gunshots for example, your pulse rate will increase and adrenaline will course through your body and you wil be running away before your higher level brain can determine if the danger is real or not. Obviously this is an evolutionary advantage, as it helps you to run from an immediate threat.

I think what happens with Jehovah's Witnesses is that they have been so thoroughly conditioned to fear apostates that if they are in a situation with someone that is acting in a hostile way, the primitive part of their brain takes over and they become very uncomfortable and afraid. The logical part of the brain is not in control, so nothing you then say will sink in. This is true even if they have doubts themselves, because it takes time being away from the meetings for that fear conditioning to go away.

• talesin
    talesin

Agreed, LisaRose, and it's very simple ...... it's human nature to put up defence mechanisms when we, or our belief systems are attacked.

That's what I keep 'preaching' to the other atheists on here ....... STOP attacking and ridiculing - you are only making people be more defensive.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well done. I like it that you said you have different beliefs, that way it's up to them if they want to describe you as an apostate. I always think the friendly approach is the best. Kate xx

• Simon
    Simon

Just the message that "Oh, I used to go door to door as a child" is surprisingly powerful. It shows them that people can have almost 'fond memories' of being a JW but have left and are happy and successful and haven't turned into a drooling disease riddled apostate who is out to drink their blood.

Things like that have a way of playing on your mind and are harder to dismis than someone waving a banner and shouting because they have already been given the answer to that scenario. The friendly likeable exJW they met? That contradicts what they have been told and that just eats away in the subconscious.

Good job

• cofty
    cofty

I still had respect for their beliefs.

But I don't. I despise their beliefs. I have utter contempt for every single thing they stand for.

I am still friendly and would never be aggressive towards them, but if I have time I take a few minutes to challenge their beliefs and practices.

• talesin
    talesin

I am still friendly and would never be aggressive towards them but if I have time I take a few minutes to challenge their beliefs and practices.

Yes.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit