Psychological Effects of Color

by RedPillPopper 33 Replies latest jw friends

• RedPillPopper
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

So, blue supposedly stimulates trust. The problem is that people have personal color associations. Jehovah's Witnesses don't "feel" blue to me, they absolutely don't feel like a primary color. They feel more like brown to me. Maybe because of the old brown songbook?

Anyhow, this might just be some weird Synaesthesia on my part. I have strong reactions to colors. I find orange so disconcerting that I once asked a visitor to change out of an orange shirt because it bothered me so much. Orange makes me feel unsettled or even angry. Kind of like the way I feel in fluorescent light.

I know this sounds psycho. Maybe someone who knows more about psychology than I do could address this.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I didn't read the article, only looked at the color chart, but... it's not very good.

• RedPillPopper
    RedPillPopper

The article is not that great and I'm not sure if I react to the colors the way the chart says I should but the irony was over the top for me.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, I don't disagree that blue can be a calming color or that it might promote trust in some circumstances. It's heavily used in computer applications, perhaps to keep frustrated users from losing their temper

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I know this sounds psycho. Maybe someone who knows more about psychology than I do could address this.

No, you are not at all psycho - you are someone who has awareness of the effects of color on your physiological and psycholoical responses.

This is a large area of study in cognitive perception within the field of psychology. And artists, too, are well aware of the psychological effect of color.

Nope, you are not psycho...you are right on target.

I'm not sure if I react to the colors the way the chart says

Maybe not - personal past experience always has a role to play in our perceptual processes. Variations in individual responses are to be expected.

• Island Man
    Island Man

So the gray cover of the new NWT is an attempt at JWs exhibiting a more neutral and calming presence to potential converts when carrying and reading the NWT in the field?

You know, gray is also a metaphor for that which is unclear/uncertain/questionable. When I see the gray NWT, the expression "gray area" comes to mind.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

So the gray cover of the new NWT is an attempt at JWs exhibiting a more neutral and calming presence

Either that or the gray means "this gray leather was really cheap in bulk" I actually have no idea why they would think the gray would be appealing, but they're doubling down by making the new songbook gray too.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

So the gray cover of the new NWT is an attempt at JWs exhibiting a more neutral and calming presence to potential converts when carrying and reading the NWT in the field?

You know, gray is also a metaphor for that which is unclear/uncertain/questionable. When I see the gray NWT, the expression "gray area" comes to mind.

Yes, the color grey can connote all those concepts.

But, it is also the color of authority.

Think of grey suits - and the connotation of soldier uniforms. Grey is an army uniform color.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, OrphanCrow. I did some internet surfing on color psychology and learned that orange can indeed cause anger. But, so can red, and I love red.

I still feel bad about making my guest change his orange shirt. Very rude of me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit